Keep me in a Ford guys - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Diesel Guy, this thread has received 40 replies and been viewed 3050 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Keep me in a Ford guys

Hey guys I was just thinking off doing something I thought I would never do. Jump ship an go to the dark side. Ford to GM. I have a 2003 Superduty an am thinking about getting a new truck before the first off the year. I have looked at the new 2008 superdities. Awesome trucks. But the new GM trucks are nice to.

My main concern is the new 6.4 motor. There are definitly some bugs to be worked out. An I here people compalin about the new 6.4 fuel mileage. So what do you think guys. Experiences with the new trucks, MPG, likes an dislikes. Try to keep this Ford guy in a Ford. Thanks a bunch for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 01:27 PM
'05 F350 CC Lariat

The mileage is not that bad. Usually, the guys getting really poor mileage also have the higher rear ends.
I am getting 14 mpg (combo of city / hwy) on mine. My 6.0 driven same way, same route got 15. So it's not that much different. The service dept (big city) has not seen any problems w/ 6.4 - none except folks wanting more mileage. The other brands are having the very same issues. It is due to EPA.

'08 F350 SD Lariat CC LB 4X4 6.4,
Pioneer speakers, 20% tint, Bedrug, Recon mirror lights, 2" Leveling Kit

https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...6&d=1192285018
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Dually Club #3

My father-in-law has had zero problems (except that deer that loved his front end to much, no more deer). He gets about 17-18 average. He has even seen 20 on long trips. The biggest thing that should keep you on the good side of the force is that the new Chevy looks like crap. that front end with the elephant ear style bumper is flat out ugly. I am not bashing Chevy, just the look of it. I think you will like the new Ford, it's hard to beat and the 6.4l is doing very good.

Jason

06 F-350 4x4 CC LB Tow Boss Lariat 6.0l auto. Banks PowerPDA, Banks SpeedBrake, FICM Atlas 40 Tune, ARP Studs, PowerMax GT3788VA turbo, Homemade coolant filter, EGR valve delete spool, Monster Exhaust, K&N Cold air intake,Mishimoto Radiator,Husky mudflaps, Line-X bed liner, Recon lights, TUNED BY Innovative.
72 F-250 Gasser.FOR SALE
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 02:39 PM

i dont have 1 (yet).but ive driven my dads and he hasnt had any probs in 12k miles.he has 4:88s so he only gets about 11 mpg,but he can latch on to anything and haul asz down the road.u wont regret gettin 1
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 02:39 PM

crap i posted that like 10 times my bad
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Hey Thanks for your response. But Ill just Thank you once
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 03:07 PM

My opinion, it is hard to get a true feel for the 6.4 problems on a site like this one. There are probably hundreds (thousands?) of 6.4 owners that log on here but only post when they have problems with it so, it looks like there are alot of problems. Mileage is definitely an issue though.
I don't like the look of the Chevy's at all.
I think we should start a 6.4 poll. Those that are satisfied (minus the mileage), and those that are not.
The Superduty is by far the best looking truck.

2006 Dodge Laramie Quad cab 4X4 muffler delete, that's it.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Ya your right about that man. People usually dont want to admit that there truck is inferior to anybody elses especially Ford people. Ford has some die hard fans out there an wouldnt be caught driving anything else. I always loved the superduties looks over the rest. An if you ever have one its hard to get people in to something else.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 03:24 PM

I had a 04 new body F150 scew 4x4 lariat and my mpg is about the same. Sure I'd like better mpg, who would'nt. The truck is awesome. The only thing I dislike is the stupid regen...........

2008 F350 Crew Cab 4WD 6.4 Spartan Tuned
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 03:30 PM
TDG Mafia #76

Send a message via AIM to John_DeereGreen Send a message via Yahoo to John_DeereGreen
The Ford's, IMHO, are nicer than the new Chevy's.

I say this for two reasons:
A)You can't beat the interior!! When grandpa was truck shopping about six months ago, we looked at the Chevy, Dodge, and Ford interior. We came up with a personal opinion placing system for the interiors on all three brands and the dash was a tie between Dodge and Ford and then Chevy, and the seats went (hands down) Ford, Dodge, Chevy.
B)The motor/trans combination. On the test drives the Power Stroke/Torqshift seemed to best keep the motor in the best spot for power and economy. The Cummins/545RFE did a decent job and the Duramax/Allison did OK as well. We just felt that the power in the Ford was there whenever you hit the go pedal a little quicker than with the Cummins and Duramax. I'm guessing that the sequential turbo system helps here, but I don't know.

The models we compared and test drove were: Ford F250 Lariat crew cab and short bed; Dodge 2500 Laramie crew cab short bed; Chevrolet LTZ 2500HD crew cab short bed. All three were 4X4 and 3.73 non-limited slip differentials. We tried to pick trucks that were equipped as closely as possible to keep everything equal in comparison.

Fast forward to the middle of August 2007 from June 2007. Grandpa ended up buying the Ford. We have since pulled a 24+4 gooseneck trailer with 11K pounds plus the trailer weight with it a couple of times, and there was no questioning getting it moving, and there was no questioning getting it stopped. We only did this because it was an EMERGENGY AND WE DO NOT DO IT every day, but it can if we have to.

What it really comes down to is what you like the best personally and what fits your needs the best as well as dealer support for each brand. Where grandpa is, Ford and Dodge are very strong dealerships but Chevy wasn't quite as good. Also, financing makes a big big difference if you go that route.
Good luck with whatever you choose, and if you do decide to buy Ford, give Randy Wilson a call or PM...many guys on here have bought trucks from him and have been very happy. His username is HARLEY6LF250SDU if you need it...good luck

Jarrett
04.5 qcsb commonrail
Smarty TnT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode