The Diesel Garage banner

Diesel trucks for towing

3K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  heavyhaller 
#1 ·
Hey all, I plan on buying a Ford f250 for towing, at the most 10,000 Pounds. I have heard many engine problems from the new 6.4 powerstroke, but none about the 6.6 Duramax engine, Don't get me wrong. There is still problems with it but I haven't heard any. So what I am trying to say is, Which should I purchase? As I have seen before the word 'Brand Bashing' Lets not try to do that. Anyways, For you 08 Powerstroke owner's. Let me know the Pro's & Con's of your Rig!

#2 ·
Many engine problems...???

Enlighten Me cause i have heard of VERY VERY VERY FEW...and most of those few are on a very easily fixed radiator on the very first batch of Job 1 trucks...

so clue me in...

#4 ·
So one truck with one problem... and they have many problems... I dont understand...but anyways...

I Love my truck, smooth, quiet, powerful... Wouldnt trade it for no chevy or dodge any day of the week...

#5 ·
2008TTCC said:
So one truck with one problem... and they have many problems... I dont understand...but anyways...

I Love my truck, smooth, quiet, powerful... Wouldnt trade it for no chevy or dodge any day of the week...
LOL My Avatar

TUGAS512 I don't know how across the board the fuel milage is that I've been seeing with the 6.4's, but I'd be a lil concerned if the thing was already getting 10-12 mpg have seen higher and lower too! What can you expect with your 10K in tow? Maybe you will get great milage who knows.

Side note my dodge gets 10 pulling 15K. A lil' more if I am not doin' 70mph.

#6 ·
The trucks are very smooth. People have been starting to figure out ways to get better mileage. The trucks are also built very well and the interiors :bounce:

#7 ·
Mine rocks

It is plainly the nicest vehicle I have ever owned inside and out. I bought my F-450 for the purpose it was made for, so I never expected very good mileage to begin with. I am pretty darn happy that I am getting almost 15 MPG out of it though. Are the Chevys and Dodges getting that much better mileage?
~Mike~:usflag

#8 ·
seapig said:
It is plainly the nicest vehicle I have ever owned inside and out. I bought my F-450 for the purpose it was made for, so I never expected very good mileage to begin with. I am pretty darn happy that I am getting almost 15 MPG out of it though. Are the Chevys and Dodges getting that much better mileage?
~Mike~:usflag
Well take everything you read on here with a grain of salt. From what I gather everyone is taking a hit with the dpf's on these new rigs, but I can only recall one time where I saw a post by a guy getting 9 mpg and that was in a dodge and I can not remember what his issue ended up being. Or if it was even a new truck with the crappy emissions. Under 10 mpg on a stock truck not towing is terrible! And I did say I was unsure as to how widespread the mileage issue was.

My wife's Chevy stock was getting 13-18 city highway. Yours sounds like it's doing great!

#9 ·
C'mon guys who buys a full size diesel rig and expects to get Corolla mileage!!!
I think the major concern here is vehicle quality and some various owners opinions!!! As far as the new 6.4 goes i dont have one but i have been researching all of the trucks and i am not brand biased!! I am a big Cummins fan but keep in mind that the Ford is a way more popular truck and the aftermarket seems to flock to it much quicker than the other brand trucks for some reason!!! But too keep in mind the Ford is a straight front axle truck so dont expect a cushy Cadillac ride either!! The Chevy has a super nice interior and the Dodge Mega Cab is roomy and comfy as your sofa in front of your big screen......All of the trucks have their pros and cons your best bet is to hit a lot and test drive each of these trucks pick out the one you like best and be done with it............We will set around and debate the chevy vs. dodge vs. ford bulshit on here all year if you let us!!! LOL LOL LOL

#10 ·
Bruiser6.0 said:
C'mon guys who buys a full size diesel rig and expects to get Corolla mileage!!!
I think the major concern here is vehicle quality and some various owners opinions!!! As far as the new 6.4 goes i dont have one but i have been researching all of the trucks and i am not brand biased!! I am a big Cummins fan but keep in mind that the Ford is a way more popular truck and the aftermarket seems to flock to it much quicker than the other brand trucks for some reason!!! But too keep in mind the Ford is a straight front axle truck so dont expect a cushy Cadillac ride either!! The Chevy has a super nice interior and the Dodge Mega Cab is roomy and comfy as your sofa in front of your big screen......All of the trucks have their pros and cons your best bet is to hit a lot and test drive each of these trucks pick out the one you like best and be done with it............We will set around and debate the chevy vs. dodge vs. ford bulshit on here all year if you let us!!! LOL LOL LOL
Agreed
and just to let you know I was reading a thread the other day and you had chimed in my wife happened to be getting something from the cupboard next to me and decided that I am only on here to look at sigs like yours!
:sly: :thanks: :sofa :bow: love you honey

#11 ·
I have had mine for about 3000 miles and it now has 13000-I bought slighly used king ranch 250. I love the thing. It will NOT! dissapoint you. All vehicles will have thier issues now and then, after all they are mechanical. Fuel mileage may be low but look around and all the new diesels are having the same issue with the new epa standards. I am changing every oil and lub to amsoil and they say improved mpg. I agree with bruiser-you buy a massive truck and now we worry about 2 mpg better or something. Its like all those that own boats and are concerned about 3 mpg or 3.5 mpg? common you invested 40-50K on a boat, pull it 1-3 hrs to a lake and then worry about 5-10 buck difference in the fuel for the boat. just enjoy it for what it is-a big truck that can tow anything you want it to. If you want mpg then this is the wrong truck.

#12 ·
Thay have been having problems with the dmax as well. Gm too is figuring out the workings of the dpf units. I was talking to the head mech. at the local gm dealership and he said that they have been having people come in with dpf's plugged solid and couldn't figure out the problem in the computer for why they wern't regenerating.

I love my 08 f-350 srw Lariat. I cant believe the ride quality every time I get in it and how smooth it is to drive and control. The quietness of the engine is nice as well when on the highway or while in the mcdonalds drive through. Just need to watch the mirrors when pulling up to the second window please.:damnit
Oh,,, but wait I can retract and fold them in with the push of a button. It's cool when people stop and stare when you do that.)

#13 ·
Here's a quote out of another post in this very forum on the same subject...
John_DeereGreen said:
The Ford's, IMHO, are nicer than the new Chevy's.

I say this for two reasons:
A)You can't beat the interior!! When grandpa was truck shopping about six months ago, we looked at the Chevy, Dodge, and Ford interior. We came up with a personal opinion placing system for the interiors on all three brands and the dash was a tie between Dodge and Ford and then Chevy, and the seats went (hands down) Ford, Dodge, Chevy.
B)The motor/trans combination. On the test drives the Power Stroke/Torqshift seemed to best keep the motor in the best spot for power and economy. The Cummins/545RFE did a decent job and the Duramax/Allison did OK as well. We just felt that the power in the Ford was there whenever you hit the go pedal a little quicker than with the Cummins and Duramax. I'm guessing that the sequential turbo system helps here, but I don't know.

The models we compared and test drove were: Ford F250 Lariat crew cab and short bed; Dodge 2500 Laramie crew cab short bed; Chevrolet LTZ 2500HD crew cab short bed. All three were 4X4 and 3.73 non-limited slip differentials. We tried to pick trucks that were equipped as closely as possible to keep everything equal in comparison.

Fast forward to the middle of August 2007 from June 2007. Grandpa ended up buying the Ford. We have since pulled a 24+4 gooseneck trailer with 11K pounds plus the trailer weight with it a couple of times, and there was no questioning getting it moving, and there was no questioning getting it stopped. We only did this because it was an EMERGENGY AND WE DO NOT DO IT every day, but it can if we have to.

What it really comes down to is what you like the best personally and what fits your needs the best as well as dealer support for each brand. Where grandpa is, Ford and Dodge are very strong dealerships but Chevy wasn't quite as good. Also, financing makes a big big difference if you go that route.
Good luck with whatever you choose, and if you do decide to buy Ford, give Randy Wilson a call or PM...many guys on here have bought trucks from him and have been very happy. His username is HARLEY6LF250SDU if you need it...good luck

I hope this helps you decide...

#14 ·
i absolutely love mine, i am generally note brand biased, but i have to say that i would not switch to any other brand whatsoever. the ride and interior on these trucks are truely awesome, imho, i think these are far the best looking trucks out there. oh, and for mpg, mine is averaging a hand calculated 14.9 with a mixture of hwy, and city.

#15 ·
The GM twins have not had many, if any, widespread problems with the new diesel emission regs. Those with clogged filters were found to be running LSD or even farm fuel for the most part. The suspension of the GM's are their biggest concern.

Dodge had a few problems with their DPF setup on pickups -- mostly revolves around testing vs real world driving. They simply were not regenning enough for the fuel consumed. This was not a problem in the C&C setup; interestingly enough, the setup on the two are different (as well as power levels, etc).

There have been only two real issues with the Ford -- radiator crimping issues which have since resolved and piss poor fuel economy which is ongoing.... and to answer the earlier question, yes, both GM and Dodge are doing considerably better than the 6.4, with the Dmax averaging 50% better. Granted, the Dodge that I had was pre-emission crap and had a slightly larger tank, but I went fully TWICE as many miles per tank than I do with the 6.4.

After spending some time in a 2007 Chevy D/A (loaner while dealer fixed some small cosmetic issues), the Allison is a step (or three) ahead of the Torqshift as well.

Interiors -- King Ranch rocks.

Functional -- Ford rocks -- backup camera, integrated trailer brake controller, nice layout without too many or small buttons, etc

#16 ·
Sandaholic said:
and just to let you know I was reading a thread the other day and you had chimed in my wife happened to be getting something from the cupboard next to me and decided that I am only on here to look at sigs like yours!
Now thats funny!!! Glad i could assist in C@CK blockin you for the evening!! hahahah!!

#18 ·
Tugas512 said:
Hey all, I plan on buying a Ford f250 for towing, at the most 10,000 Pounds. I have heard many engine problems from the new 6.4 powerstroke, but none about the 6.6 Duramax engine, Don't get me wrong. There is still problems with it but I haven't heard any. So what I am trying to say is, Which should I purchase? As I have seen before the word 'Brand Bashing' Lets not try to do that. Anyways, For you 08 Powerstroke owner's. Let me know the Pro's & Con's of your Rig!
Nah there aren't many problems at all, its like everything you either get a good one or you don't. It's all a matter of brand preference. The interior rocks, cant say much about the ride since my dad's has a 6 inch lift, but with the 6.4 it fells as if those 37 MT's aren't there at all. If it helps some guy flipped me off while driving my dad's 250 LOL.

#19 ·
EKUgrad said:
There have been only two real issues with the Ford -- radiator crimping issues which have since resolved and piss poor fuel economy which is ongoing.... and to answer the earlier question, yes, both GM and Dodge are doing considerably better than the 6.4, with the Dmax averaging 50% better. Granted, the Dodge that I had was pre-emission crap and had a slightly larger tank, but I went fully TWICE as many miles per tank than I do with the 6.4.
The heating and air guy who fixed my heat 2 weeks ago has a couple 08 dmaxs and can't seem to get more than 15mpg

#20 ·
No problems with mine. Actually considered the Dodge until I rode in one...the Ford beats it hands down. However, the Dodge is somewhat less expensive. Sorry IMHO, without the Cummins, it is a good looking, low quality truck.

#21 ·
EKUgrad said:
both GM and Dodge are doing considerably better than the 6.4, with the Dmax averaging 50% better.
1-3 MPG more is not 50% better.

#23 ·
the heating and air guy could very well have a load in the bed and doing predominantly short, stop 'n go trips.

10-11.5 is what lie-o-meter has shown for the last three or four tanks now that I have not taken any long highway trips. I live in a predominantly rural setting and most of my driving is on 2 lane highways, not stoplight in town driving.

Even 15 is close to 50% better than what I currently get. 17-18 (which is what most report for the LMM on multiple different sites) is over 50% better than my 6.4

Driving habits have not changed since my last truck which routinely got better than 20.

#24 ·
EKUgrad said:
the heating and air guy could very well have a load in the bed and doing predominantly short, stop 'n go trips.

10-11.5 is what lie-o-meter has shown for the last three or four tanks now that I have not taken any long highway trips. I live in a predominantly rural setting and most of my driving is on 2 lane highways, not stoplight in town driving.

Even 15 is close to 50% better than what I currently get. 17-18 (which is what most report for the LMM on multiple different sites) is over 50% better than my 6.4

Driving habits have not changed since my last truck which routinely got better than 20.
15 was the best he was getting and that was MT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.