Synthetic and paraffin based Motor oils - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by seapig, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 2189 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
SeaPig

Garage
Synthetic and paraffin based Motor oils

Howdy,
I have been finding little on the net comparing these two quite different products other specific companies promoting their specific product.
Probably not searching correctly
I will spend the extra money on a synthetic if it is worth it, but have been using good old "regular motor oil" for so many years I am having a hard time changing.
Also, why is it that once you go to a synthetic, that you would not want to go back to a paraffin based oil product?
Thank you guys as always.
~Mike~

[B]2008 F-450 Lariat 4x4 6.4L PSD LWB DRW 4:88's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 04:51 PM

The best source of oil information around is http://theoildrop.server101.com

The forums there are very helpful as well.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
SeaPig
Threadstarter

Garage
Excellent site and thank you worm drowner.
Is there anyone out there that can answer the question of why can you not go back to regular motor oil after using a synthetic?
Is it a selling technique?
Hyperbole?
John_G, your imput is ALWAYS welcome:bow:
~Mike~

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 04:11 AM

there is a large overdose of mis-information out there about lubes. there is no reason that you couldnt alternate from syn to regular oil every change if you wanted to. as far as knowing what is going on inside your engine? only the engine knows. you sure dont. but one start on a cold soaked psd at 35 below zero and it cranks right over and starts( with a little wiff of starting fluid i admit} and you will know how good the synthetic is. i have about 4 million miles as an owner operater and have always used all syntheic in my trucks. grease, oil and gear lubes. never lost a wheel bearing or any lube related falilures. never had to do a king-pin even with 1 1/2 million miles. if you intend to keep your truck for a long long time , use it. its chapr than changing reg oil every 5,000 miles. its up to you, just about all hi-performance and luxury cars come with synthetic from the factory. its an old wifes tale that you cant break an engine in on synthetics. what about all the engines i broke in? and and all those vws, corvettes, jags rolls, bebtleys,,etc etc? my n02 harley starts at zero degress and amsoil says the oil is ok at 25,000 miles and it is just the color of tea. and the rad axle on 350 dually is factory filled with synthetic gear lube. make up your own mind, but 35 years has told me that there is a hugh difference in lubes and synthetic is the only way to go.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
SeaPig
Threadstarter

Garage
Thanks!!!!

I was wondering about the reasoning with going from syntheic to good "regular"oil and versa-visa. No one could really answer that question for me.
~Mike~

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 05:29 PM
TDG Mafia # 81

You can switch back and forth, makes no differance. But when most go syn, they dont go back, unless they cant afford the cost. With a true synthetic, you can extend your drain intervals, and that makes the extra cost more than worth it, plus the added protection of a good syn. Mobil Delvac1 and Amsoil are the best that you can get in my opinion. Those two are Group IV oils and a chemically engineered, most others are Group III and are nothing more than super cleaned petroleum oil from the ground.

Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode