6.4 Began to Gel Up! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by MRBOHN23, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 5212 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Now Cummins Powered

Garage
6.4 Began to Gel Up!

I have 1,700 miles on her, and have read the owners manual which preached that you should never have to plug this truck in unless the temperature reaches -10 degrees f. Yeah, right! I didn't drive mine for two days living here in North Jersey, and the temps were in the single digits those nights. I then went to start it Thursday morning and it was shaking and sputtering. This lasted about 2-3min and then it cleared up and began to run smooth. I have been adding ford's anti get + performance addative every fill up. I have not drained the fuel/water seperator yet so maybe this is what caused my fuel to begin to gel up? I am going to drain this today as it is recommended to be done every month. Since this incident I have began plugging her in at night, which I guess will be a daily thing till the end of the winter now. Overall I must say that even when the temps were in the teens, I had no problems when starting her up in the morning, but I guess the single digit temps and sitting for two days was just a little too much? I have been running Sunoco Diesel Fuel, and Hess Diesel Fuel, anyone have any of there trucks gelling up???????:shrug:

2004.5 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Cummins Powered, Laramie, Tow Pkg., Snow Plow Pkg., 4.10 Rears.

2008 Ford F-250 Crew Cab Lariat, 6.4 Powerstroke, Snowplow Prep, Automatic 3.73 posi, 18 inch wheels, SOLD!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Plugging in the BLOCK HEATER has nothing at all to do with getting BAD FUEL that gells up.

The fuel pump module (HFCM) has a built in heater, pump and pre-filter, this explains why after only a few minutes of running, it was so much better.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 11:45 PM

When the weather starts getting cold, the refinerys start blending #1 diesel or jet A with #2 diesel . The colder it gets, the more #1 is added until it is pure #1. At least thats how it was before ULSD. Now they may not do that and rely on each customer to add addative. Ask the people at where you bought your fuel or E mail the corp office or talk to EPA in you state.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 03:59 PM

Mine gelled up last wednesday. Temp was about 3 degrees F. I dont believe I had any bad fuel, but I am running a 2% blend of soy diesel and I do think that could be one reason. My fuel company starts a "winter blend" in october sometime, so I had not added any anti-gel additive. But I did after this episode. Had to let it sit inside for about three hours and added the anti-gel and everything is fine.

Kevin

2008 F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed 6.4 rollin on 20's
2007 Chevy Tahoe loaded up and rollin on 20's--wife's vehicle--
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Now Cummins Powered
Threadstarter

Garage
THANKS GUYS! I want everyone to know that I am not bashing my truck, I love my truck. I have been trying to purchase fuel from stations that move alot of diesel so I have less of a chance of getting too much water in the mixture. I drained the water seperator, not that that makes much of a difference and I guess I'll monitor how she starts over the next couple weeks as it contiues to become colder. I will say that plugging the truck in over the last few nights sure did make it warm up much quicker than normal. This is my first diesel truck so please bare with me as I am learning more and more everyday.

2004.5 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Cummins Powered, Laramie, Tow Pkg., Snow Plow Pkg., 4.10 Rears.

2008 Ford F-250 Crew Cab Lariat, 6.4 Powerstroke, Snowplow Prep, Automatic 3.73 posi, 18 inch wheels, SOLD!!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Any bio-diesel will gell at warmer temps than non-bio fuel will. This is simply because of the marterials they use to get the bio portion of the fuel, and the affinity of bio-diesel (and ethanol for that matter) for water - both absorb water directly from the atmosphere.

When the water gets below 32*F/0*C it freezes, we all know that. The more ice crystals in the fuel, the more of a restriction to flow accross the filters. This is almost always a problem in the pre-filter (suction side) and almost never a problem for fuel filters under pressure.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 06:46 PM

Mine hasnt gelled and ive started it at -15 degrees in Colorado. just using pump diesel.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Now Cummins Powered
Threadstarter

Garage
Wow, guess im getting some bad fuel. I've noticed my fuel mileage went down on my last fill up too. That was at the local sunoco.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 PM

Like I said; the refinerys or loading racks blend the fuel for cold areas,at least they did before ULSD. Now if they do blend it, it has to be ULSD diesel#1 and I don't think they make that yet. So what their blending with I have no idea unless their using jet A. I havent halled fuel for years; retired
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:13 PM

The fuel I have had tested reaches cffp ( cold filter plugging point)around +9 to + 12 degrees un treated right out of the refinery. some fuel is, due to the process, harder to treat. The lab tells me some has to be treated at 1 gal to 250. most good fuel will respond at one gal to 1000. and be ok to -10, since i sell additives on the side I have to know how my additive is working with available fuels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode