Passing on Info from a Ford Tech on 6.4L - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by HARLEY6LF250SDU, this thread has received 17 replies and been viewed 15938 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Passing on Info from a Ford Tech on 6.4L

Did heads on a 6.4 today

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just thought I would share my findings on the latest thing from ford. My primary job at the dealer is gas or diesel engine repair so I get the time consuming jobs that keep me indoors when its snowing out which is ok by me. So I had an 08 F450 come in around christmas time consuming coolant and hydraulic locking after sitting briefly. I ordered a pile of nuts, bolts, fuel lines, EGR coolers and a valve grind set using my 6.0 experience to get an idea of what ill need before taking it apart. Firstly this truck isnt a good example of a well maintained properly driven truck so dont get the idea (yet) that the 6.4 is a problem other than hard on fuel. This truck has a power program, sees duty at the local truck pull contest and is a work vehicle. If the customer wasnt well known to us, warranty would be void but lets not go there. I lifted the cab as is required on the 6.4 moreso than the 6.0, very tough to do anything major with the cab in place so up she went. I tore the engine down and found the EGR coolers were both toast, gallons of coolant ran out of the exhaust manifolds when I unbolted them. The head gasket between 6 and 8 cylinder was discoloured/burnt once inspected but the heads were still fine. A simple clean-up and gasket job was all that was needed along with the 2 coolers. I found the head bolts were improved over the 6.0 version and a few other changes intake manifold wise that were an improvement but the rest is a nightmare. None of the high pressure fuel lines (26,000psi to open the injectors with fuel) cant be reused once loosened, there are 10 of them and they all get torqued to spec then rotated 60 degrees - silly. The small coolant pipes are plastic and do not take kindly to bending which I found out on my first 6.4 repair a few months back. There are countless things that can be overlooked that entails cab removal again if not noticed at first, so double and triple checking is required with your face about an inch away from whatever you are inspecting so you dont miss a booboo. The cab captive nuts spin in the cab mounts already which means in 2 years good luck getting them apart without cutting and welding. This truck also needs a rad, 2nd time in 44K, they leak at the crimp on the side tanks.

For those of you that have your trucks serviced at places other than the dealer, beware that when fuel filters are replaced there's a special bleed tool and proceedure to prevent high pressure pump and injector failure due to airated fuel, this also applies if you run it out of fuel too. The high pressure pumps will grenade and send debris to the injectors = $$$$. Very sensitive and very expensive.

I think the 6.4 is a great engine, just not for the DIY'ers out there. Maintain it and have the dealer service it so you dont get boned by some lube kid that changes your fuel filters and wrecks your engine = no warranty.

P.

Ford Fleet/Comm Truck Mngr. Custom F-650 Trucks, Shelby GT500 & KR Mustangs. 406 544-6891 [email protected] Thanks Randy
TDG Mafia #53 ... Riding High Club #30 https://www.thedieselgarage.com/foru...pictureid=1589
I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God, than in church thinking about my motorcycle. ~unknown~
===============
"I wanna die like my grandfather, in his sleep, not like the other 4 passengers screaming in his car".
===============
2008 Harley Softail Custom 105th Aniv Limited Edition
2006 Harley F-250 Black w/Blue Flames FOR SALE $23K
2006 Harley F-350 Tor Red w/Black Flames SOLD
2005 Harley F-250 True Blue w/Med Blue Flames SOLD
2004 Harley F-250 Black & DSG 2/tone 6" Lift SOLD
1.3 million miles OTR and still Truckin!!
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's in English, thank a soldier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 05:41 PM
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85

holy crap, I'm about to do a fuel filter change what is needed to do this after I read this.

"fuel filters are replaced there's a special bleed tool and proceedure to prevent high pressure pump and injector failure due to airated fuel"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 05:55 PM
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85

Ok so I called a friend of mine who is a service rep at ford and asked him about the bleed tool and proper way to change the fuel filters on the 6.4L. he confirmed that there is a special bleed tool to change the fuel filters but they don't use it. they in tern change the bottom filter and drain the water seperator then they tighten it up start the truck let it run for 3-5minutes shut the truck off and then change the top filter. :shrug:

can anyone confirm if this is an acceptable way to change the fuel filters ?

thanks

Nick
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 06:40 PM

The first time my fuel filters were change at the dealer, I was in the shop at the time and air got into the fuel lines and the truck wouldn't start. They did something to bleed the air out but not sure what.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARLEY6LF250SDU
Did heads on a 6.4 today

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just thought I would share my findings on the latest thing from ford. My primary job at the dealer is gas or diesel engine repair so I get the time consuming jobs that keep me indoors when its snowing out which is ok by me. So I had an 08 F450 come in around christmas time consuming coolant and hydraulic locking after sitting briefly. I ordered a pile of nuts, bolts, fuel lines, EGR coolers and a valve grind set using my 6.0 experience to get an idea of what ill need before taking it apart. Firstly this truck isnt a good example of a well maintained properly driven truck so dont get the idea (yet) that the 6.4 is a problem other than hard on fuel. This truck has a power program, sees duty at the local truck pull contest and is a work vehicle. If the customer wasnt well known to us, warranty would be void but lets not go there. I lifted the cab as is required on the 6.4 moreso than the 6.0, very tough to do anything major with the cab in place so up she went. I tore the engine down and found the EGR coolers were both toast, gallons of coolant ran out of the exhaust manifolds when I unbolted them. The head gasket between 6 and 8 cylinder was discoloured/burnt once inspected but the heads were still fine. A simple clean-up and gasket job was all that was needed along with the 2 coolers. I found the head bolts were improved over the 6.0 version and a few other changes intake manifold wise that were an improvement but the rest is a nightmare. None of the high pressure fuel lines (26,000psi to open the injectors with fuel) cant be reused once loosened, there are 10 of them and they all get torqued to spec then rotated 60 degrees - silly. The small coolant pipes are plastic and do not take kindly to bending which I found out on my first 6.4 repair a few months back. There are countless things that can be overlooked that entails cab removal again if not noticed at first, so double and triple checking is required with your face about an inch away from whatever you are inspecting so you dont miss a booboo. The cab captive nuts spin in the cab mounts already which means in 2 years good luck getting them apart without cutting and welding. This truck also needs a rad, 2nd time in 44K, they leak at the crimp on the side tanks.

For those of you that have your trucks serviced at places other than the dealer, beware that when fuel filters are replaced there's a special bleed tool and proceedure to prevent high pressure pump and injector failure due to airated fuel, this also applies if you run it out of fuel too. The high pressure pumps will grenade and send debris to the injectors = $$$$. Very sensitive and very expensive.

I think the 6.4 is a great engine, just not for the DIY'ers out there. Maintain it and have the dealer service it so you dont get boned by some lube kid that changes your fuel filters and wrecks your engine = no warranty.

P.
Do you have any idea what caused this? If you don't mind me asking but what tuner was he running and was the dpf in place?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman
Do you have any idea what caused this? If you don't mind me asking but what tuner was he running and was the dpf in place?
sorry, I just passed on the info above. But DPF is/was inplace.

Ford Fleet/Comm Truck Mngr. Custom F-650 Trucks, Shelby GT500 & KR Mustangs. 406 544-6891 [email protected] Thanks Randy
TDG Mafia #53 ... Riding High Club #30 https://www.thedieselgarage.com/foru...pictureid=1589
I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God, than in church thinking about my motorcycle. ~unknown~
===============
"I wanna die like my grandfather, in his sleep, not like the other 4 passengers screaming in his car".
===============
2008 Harley Softail Custom 105th Aniv Limited Edition
2006 Harley F-250 Black w/Blue Flames FOR SALE $23K
2006 Harley F-350 Tor Red w/Black Flames SOLD
2005 Harley F-250 True Blue w/Med Blue Flames SOLD
2004 Harley F-250 Black & DSG 2/tone 6" Lift SOLD
1.3 million miles OTR and still Truckin!!
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's in English, thank a soldier.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 07:34 PM
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman
The first time my fuel filters were change at the dealer, I was in the shop at the time and air got into the fuel lines and the truck wouldn't start. They did something to bleed the air out but not sure what.
rainman there is a special tool verified by my service writer but they don't even use it at the ford dealer I bring my truck to. I will do some research and see if I can find the part # and price !
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 07:44 PM

Garage
wow this thing does sound like a nightmare....

06 F250 6.0L ID tuning. RCD EGR delete 03 turbo
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadf150
rainman there is a special tool verified by my service writer but they don't even use it at the ford dealer I bring my truck to. I will do some research and see if I can find the part # and price !

Thanks badf150 - let me know, I would buy one. But when my truck would not start the tech made a phone call and preformed a simple procedure, he never mentioned a special tool.:shrug: I'm about due for the filter change also, when I purchased my truck the dealer did the first fuel filter's and oil changes for free.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 10:30 PM

I think it explains on the dvd when you buy the truck if you get air in the lines you have to turn the key on for like 30 seconds and off like 6 times or something to purge the air.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode