08 Superduty info - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by uke, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1259 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
uke

08 Superduty info

I am looking at upgrading from a 3/4 ton to a 1 ton truck. I am not loyal to one brand. Looking for info an ford, gmc and dodge. The truck will mostly be used to haul two quads and pull a 26' travel trailer. I will be putting a sled/quad deck on the truck. The quads, deck and all other stuff will be around 3000lbs. The trailer loaded is around 8000lbs. Ford GCWR is 23000lbs. Anyone have a curb weight on a Lariat or King Rand Ford SRW, crew cab, diesel long box? Any feedback on the pros and cons of the Ford would be appreciated. I like the looks of the Ford the best, the only concern I have with the Ford is the 6.4 diesel. Have there been many issues with the 6.4, have there been recalls on the truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 03:38 AM

my F250 is about 8000lbs without me in it, full tank of diesel. its a lariat 4x4 off road package.

Pros - Interior, looks, power is great. Features are awesome.
Cons - Mileage is ridiculously terrible. Driveline shudders pulling trailers
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 04:35 PM

Greetings Uke,
I've traded my '08 F-350 (Lariat 6.4L Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 SRW, purchased 4 mths ago) back to a Chevy 3500. I had 3 issues which made me bail out.
I pull a horse trailer, 3 horse slant load with living quarters. Gross weight 11,000 #. Fully loaded is still well below the 15,200# rating of the truck.
Problem #1; Traveling in the hills of Florida on I-95 after driving 6-8 hrs, in town slowing or stopping at traffic lights, the tranny "SLAMS" into lower gears. So hard that I got out and checked to see if the hitch broke loose.
Ford cannot duplicate the problem and recommends I take it out of tow/haul mode when stopping to avoid the problem.
Problem #2; The truck shudders upon takeoff in first gear and again @ 68 +/- mph in 5th gear. The mechanic tried shimming driveshaft angles and axle angles (same procedure for lift kits) without success. He suggested that I install air lifts to bring the truck back to unloaded levels. Engineering is flawed.
Problem #3; After slowing down to pass through turnpike toll plaza, accelerating produces a plume of blue smoke for 3 seconds. (Indicative of injector issues)?
I loved the truck but with these issues, and the amount of hauling I do, I am done with this truck.
I cannot recommend it at all. I traded in a '04 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed SRW Diesel / Allison for it and it turned out to be a big mistake.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 06:09 PM

I have to say they are great trucks. Yes the fuel milage sucks, but give it some time, it will go up. Some of the trucks have problems like the truck Shadow racer had, but each brand has there lemon trucks. My parents own a Job 1 08 F350 CC SRW 4x4 6.4/auto, it is probably the nicest truck I have ever driven. We have had it loaded to 20,000 pounds of truck, boat, and camper, and we were still able to pass up big rigs and other cars going up hills through the Santiam pass here in Oregon. We have had 1 problem with it, which was the power steering pump/power brake pump messed up on us, but it took 2 days and was no cost to us to fix it. They are absolutly great trucks. I have seen many new 08's used as work trucks by companies, but have never seen a 08 chevy or Dodge used by a company as a work truck.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 07:14 PM

Well.

I criticise vehicles badly and have now tested all three with my opinion.

Ford.... Great interior and exterior. Nice wheels and tires from the factory. OK engine power...wasnt too impressed for what they SAY its rated. Ride was Average for a 3/4 ton. Check engine light came on during test drive .

Dodge.... Horrible ride. Horrible interior. decent wheels and tires for a stock truck. Engine power was better then the 6.4L Transmission was very nice shifting. I liked it real well. Overall its still a dodge. Not much has changed as far as them being low class in the classyness of the truck. Its more a work truck ( and yes I own one ) . The quad cab otta be called a extended cab with regular doors not suicide. Mega cabs are ugly. look like a boat.

Chevy.... This one was loaded just like the above two. Overall the MOST comfortable as far as seatig went up front....not as much room in the back as a ford but way more than a dodge. Interior was very nice. Power was the best of all three. VERY impressed. Shiftd crisp and clean. Loved it. Stock wheels and tires ABSOLUTELY SUCK. Way too much fender well space. at a minimum they need 20" wheels on them to look decent. Its sad to have a $55K truck with some of the crappiest wheels and tires I have ever seen in my lofe on a huge body. Rode the best out of all three, but whos all that crazy about a chevy front end anyways. The chevys are getting the bet fuel mileage of the 3. I think for me its a very close tie between the chevy and the ford....

leaning more torward the Chevy, but the wheels and tires are almost a deal breaker for me. BUT atleast you can see the engine in the chevy and you cannot i the ford....geez what a mess under the hood as far as ford goes.

Good luck on your choice.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 04:00 AM

Have you ever looked underneath a Chevy? You can't because all you can see is the frame. I'm not saying they make bad trucks but they are so low to the ground and the frame is also very low. It's just too much like a car. The tranny sure is impressive. The Ford's weigh more for a reason. They are built strong.

2008 Red CCSB 6.4 Auto Lariat.
Stock 20's wrapped in 35x12.50R20 Toyo MT's, 3.73 gears, Nav, Backup Cam, Tailgate step, Upfitters, etc.
Mods: AFE Intake, Line-X, 20% Tint, Clear Bra, Husky Mats, Smoked Recon Mirror markers/3rd brake light, Bushwacker Pocket style flares w/ mud flaps + an aluminum Rapid Hitch (one of the best investments!)
Feel free to PM with any questions about any of my mods.

SRW Club #55
American Club #55

Last road trip-567 miles @ 20.7 mpg @ 67mpg average speed.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 11:06 AM
SeaPig

Garage
Bad news

I feel bad for you Shadow Chaser with that vehicle.
My father used to call them "Friday Vehicles". It was late Friday and everyone wanted to get off work at the plant and they were just throwing things together.
I must has gotten a Monday vehicle, where everyone was fresh, so I feel for you.
Especially since you are only one of three guys that have posted here with this many problems. (And I have read probably 400-500 posts since I have been on here).
Is there a lemon law where you are at? Your truck sounded like an excellent candidate for what the law was designed for.
My opinion only of course:
~Mike~

[B]2008 F-450 Lariat 4x4 6.4L PSD LWB DRW 4:88's
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdutytd
Have you ever looked underneath a Chevy? You can't because all you can see is the frame. I'm not saying they make bad trucks but they are so low to the ground and the frame is also very low. It's just too much like a car. The tranny sure is impressive. The Ford's weigh more for a reason. They are built strong.
I see your point-maybe, but I see just as many GM and Dodges around with 200k miles that are still towing and look great for that kind of mileage. That generic argument is only relevant if you are going to be racing your truck towing a sled! I have NEVER seen an IFS front end break under normal driving conditions, nor have I ever seen a frame on any Chevy break due to overloading etc...Having a heavier truck does not mean it is tougher?? The last frame issue I have ever seen were the early Dodge Cummins pick-ups.

Ok about buying a Ford or a GM: The Ford truck is very nice, interior, dash, and exterior are pristine!! The engine is ok but not up to the Dmax output or mpgs. Reliability: Dmax wins that hands down! The Dmax is reliable, nicer seats in front, rear seating is not as roomy as the Ford. The ride is waay better on the GM. I have driven both and the Dmax is so much more impressive than the Power Stroke. The 6.4 seemed not any better than my 6.0 I have? It's a new powerplant once again, and you know the 6.0 history, I would not chance buying the Ford unless you were to get a Ford with a gas motor! If you go diesel I'd go GM but if you go gas I would buy the Ford!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 03:03 PM

Buy a FORD.........BEST TRUCK............End of story. :

randy

Ford Fleet/Comm Truck Mngr. Custom F-650 Trucks, Shelby GT500 & KR Mustangs. 406 544-6891 [email protected] Thanks Randy
TDG Mafia #53 ... Riding High Club #30 https://www.thedieselgarage.com/foru...pictureid=1589
I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God, than in church thinking about my motorcycle. ~unknown~
===============
"I wanna die like my grandfather, in his sleep, not like the other 4 passengers screaming in his car".
===============
2008 Harley Softail Custom 105th Aniv Limited Edition
2006 Harley F-250 Black w/Blue Flames FOR SALE $23K
2006 Harley F-350 Tor Red w/Black Flames SOLD
2005 Harley F-250 True Blue w/Med Blue Flames SOLD
2004 Harley F-250 Black & DSG 2/tone 6" Lift SOLD
1.3 million miles OTR and still Truckin!!
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's in English, thank a soldier.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 03:48 AM

When my parents were looking they were considering buying a chevy. Now I was raised a Ford guy so when they told me they were thinking about a chevy I was like are you kiding me. Anyways we have a camper and boat that we hauled with our last rig (95 Ford F350 CC SRW 4x4 7.3/E4OD, and it towed it pretty decently). So I did a little reasearch for them, and what I found was basically Ford's weigh a lot more then chevies. That is basically the concensus I have gotten through these last couple of years of reading threads like these. So basically it makes the Ford a better vehicle for what we were doing. With the camper on the truck is way top heavy, but the Ford weighing more would have a lower center of balance compared to a chevy. You just have to figure out what your going to be doing with your truck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode