Which 2008 to buy!! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by MDCrabber, this thread has received 48 replies and been viewed 4098 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Which 2008 to buy!!

Hello,
I have been looking at both the F-250 4 door short bed & the Chevy Duramax.
I did not like the way the Chevy motor sounded or the way the truck drove.
I also think the fron end loogs terrible!
I have been a Chevy man for ever but have never had a diesel truck.
I'm very close to picking the Ford but the one thing I'm worried about is reading about how bad the milage is. I've heard that it improves with time & I have also heard of a few minor modifications that seem to help.
Just wondering if anyone out there is experiencing decent milage? out of their Fords???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 07:54 PM

I dont have any information on mods because I personally havent done any..
But I can tell you that I have 13300 miles and my fuel mileage isnt that good.
I like my truck and plan on a programmer with DPF delete tune in the future.
As far as mileage goes, it doesnt get any worse than my 2004 4x4 Super Crew
Lariat with a 5.4 liter did.........................

2008 F350 Crew Cab 4WD 6.4 Spartan Tuned
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 09:05 PM

I would stay away from the Ford. I too have been Chevy loyal for 20+ yrs and traded a '04 6.6 2500HD for a '08 6.4 F-350 and have traded IT back in for a '08 6.6 3500HD. It took just 4 mths to get enough of the the problems I was having, to go back. I got Ford to give me an extended warranty (5yrs/100k miles bumper to bumper $100 deductable) to pacify my concerns. But the truck just will not perform as advertised. The fuel milage: 11.5 city / 14.5 hwy / 9.5 hwy towing. And I do not have a heavy foot. My '04 Chevy 2500HD got 15.5 city / 21.5 hwy and 13.5 hwy towing. Perhaps the regeneration cycle is killing the milage. I will watch and compare the new Chevy. The Ford shudders badly under load and Ford cannot alliviate the problem. $52,000 is a lot of money and I expected a lot of truck for it. Boy, was I surprised and dissapointed. Even my wife said "get rid of it". She also drives it with the horses loaded and has had enough of it. She thinks the truck is "falling apart" under her! Be very carefull of tuners / programmers since Ford is First looking to see if they have been installed should you have a problem. Ford will point to it and say "There's your problem" and will void the warranty. I tried a programmer to increase the fuel milage but it did not help. It caused the regeneration cycle to occur more frequently since more fuel was being dumped in for more power. The regen uses a lot of fuel. So I got nowhere trying it. I didn't mean to get on the "Soap Box" and start preaching, but this has been my experience.
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 09:24 PM

I wouldn`t buy anof the big 3`s 08`s! Look for a new 07 or a 07 with little miles on it!

FOR SALE 2002 F250 4X4 Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat Dark shadow Gray W/ Custom Flame Paint Job in Pearl Silver and Purple Tips Pinstriped in Burple. Icon 12.5" Lift with OneUpOffroad 5" Traction Bar Block system, OUO Drive Line Drop Bracket,Clocked Transfer Case, SS Brake Lines, Dual shocks UpFront,Mickey thompson 38X15.50R18 tires, Wels Racing Dune 8 18X10 wheels,Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flares, Reflexion steel hood, ARE Z Series Shell, chrome Tow Hook,Putco Flame Grille, Trenz billet rear Veiw Mirror & Flame Pedals, New Image Flame Gauges, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, MBRP, Cools Duals T-304SS w/Custom Flame T-304 SS Tips,Autometer Z Series Pyro,Boost,Tranny Gauges,Loud Kenwoo/Kicker 1600 + RMS Stereo System, Husky Floor Liners, More!
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 11:24 AM

I agree. I searched far and wide but couldn't find the truck I wanted / needed. I was looking for a new truck iso used. All I could find was a dually chevy but colors were all wrong for s. florida and I need a single rear wheel since i am in town alot and on dirt roads alot too.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 09:15 PM

the ford is a good choice.ive only got 4500 miles on mine but so far its been the best truck iv ever owned
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 10:08 PM

Which 08 to buy

I was kind of in the same boat you were. I did a 180 degree flip. I found a used 2003.5 F-350 King Ranch. 60K miles. I got it for $22k. The guys took off the Cat and has 4" down from the engine and 5 1/2" inches out the tail. Mileage so far is about 20 on the HWY and 16 in town.

The new 08' F-350 was going to set me back $50k+. I plan to keep this for a few years and let Ford get the bugs out of the 6.4.
Good Luck
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 12:53 AM

I would not pay all that $$money$$ and purchase another Ford until they can prove that they are using high quality RELIABLE diesel engines!! Get a V-10 Ford if you really have to have the Ford truck. They are very nice, I love the Ford's but I will NEVER trust them again until they have a 3-5 year reliable run with their diesel motors (like the 7.3)!! The other prob with Ford is that they are (warranty voiding happy!) It's just ridiculous what they do to people even when the mod didn't directly cause the failed part etc....People say they can't do that but they do it all the time!

I went LMM Dmax and it rocks! 15k miles and it gets 16 mpg in town?? From all the forums and people I have talked to, the Dmax is hands down the most powerful and reliable of all the DPF motors! Cummins is close behind, but it comes with that Dodge truck chinsy cheap truck crap.... Do what ya want but that's my .02 cents.......
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 04:05 AM

The new trucks are starting to get better mileage. Don't let the two people on here that don't like there new Fords sway your decision. A person who doesn't like something will tell tens times as many people as someone who really likes something. The trucks don't get that bad of mileage. I never got more than 15MPG in my 6.0 or 7.3. You won't be disappointed in your truck.

2008 Red CCSB 6.4 Auto Lariat.
Stock 20's wrapped in 35x12.50R20 Toyo MT's, 3.73 gears, Nav, Backup Cam, Tailgate step, Upfitters, etc.
Mods: AFE Intake, Line-X, 20% Tint, Clear Bra, Husky Mats, Smoked Recon Mirror markers/3rd brake light, Bushwacker Pocket style flares w/ mud flaps + an aluminum Rapid Hitch (one of the best investments!)
Feel free to PM with any questions about any of my mods.

SRW Club #55
American Club #55

Last road trip-567 miles @ 20.7 mpg @ 67mpg average speed.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:51 AM
SeaPig

Garage
I will have to agree with my North West brother on this one. (Not that I have disagreed with him yet):
F-450 with 4:88's and I am up to almost 15MPG when it comes to Highway driving. I am just under 5000 miles with the truck and have done NOTHING to it other than change the oil, and put fuel in it.
It rides like a dream and was put together by professionals. What more can I ask for:shrug:
~Mike~

[B]2008 F-450 Lariat 4x4 6.4L PSD LWB DRW 4:88's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode