Question for those with the Totan tank - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by stumppuller08, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 690 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Question for those with the Totan tank

Last 2 times I have let my miles-to-empty meter run down to around 15-20 miles. At the pump, the most that I can get in the tank is around 46 gallons. And this is stopping for the foam to dissipate and rocking the truck back and forth. I'd like to think that I really have 4 or 5 more gallons of diesel left at this point, but I'm scared to find out the hard way that I don't.

What have you guys that have the Titan been experiencing?

BTW, getting around 530-550 miles per tank this way. I think that I should be around 600 miles per tank (based on my mileage calculations). That's why I think that I may have a few more gallons when the truck doesn't!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:00 PM

I get the exact same results as you. I've considered carrying a jerry can full of diesel just to see when it will run out.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:04 AM
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbechtold
I get the exact same results as you. I've considered carrying a jerry can full of diesel just to see when it will run out.
good idea but you would probably TOAST you fuel pump very costly !!

so explain what going on ?? the mileage is not adding up to the gallons in the tank or the tank doesn't hold the specified amount of fuel I'm confused ??
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

The Titan tank is supposed to hold approximately 52 gallons. I figure that I should be able to get around 50 gallons in the tank at the station. The last couple of times that I have filled up, my mile-to-empty readout shows 15-20 miles until empty. The tank should be pretty drained. But I can only pump in roughly 46 gallons of fuel.

One of 2 things:

1) The miles-to-empty meter is wrong. I probably have around 4-5 gallons left (50-65 miles), or
2) The tank really is down to a gallon or so of diesel. That means the Titan only will hold 47 or so gallons (even though it is rated at 52).

sbechtold: when your miles-to-empty is down to 15-20 miles, what does your fuel gauge show? Mine is just a tad above the empty bar. That is why I think #1 above is the case.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 03:27 AM

I dont have this tank but I have this problem with my stock tank. I have been on the road before and in the middle of know where when my truck dings Low Fuel and I continue to drive. I have driven over 22 miles on 0 miles to empty and then at the pump put 23 gallons in my tank which holds 29 gallons

Spartan 310 and KEM 345
Elite Head Studs
Rudy's EGR delete kit with wastegate and CFM
AFE CAI
Powerstroker's 5" Exhaust, MagnaFlow Tail Section with 6" Tip and Stroker's 4" downpipe
Cold Side Intercooler tube
ChromeMoly pushrods
Suncoast Transmission to come!!!!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumppuller08
sbechtold: when your miles-to-empty is down to 15-20 miles, what does your fuel gauge show? Mine is just a tad above the empty bar. That is why I think #1 above is the case.
Mine reads the same as yours, just above empty. IMO the Miles-to-empty(MTE) is wrong. When you get the first MTE warning at 50 miles compare the miles ticking off on the odometer to the MTE number. My MTE number drops 1 mile for every 2+ miles driven on the odometer after the 50 mile warning. I have driven 100 miles after the 50 mile MTE warning before and it still read 10 MTE. :shrug:

When I installed my tank I poured 5 gallons in the tank from a jerry can, then drove to the station and pumped 45+ gallons into the tank, so it should hold at least 50. The guys at Titan also said they expect most people to get at least 50 gallons in the tank.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 09:19 AM
SeaPig

Garage
My Miles to empty meter is not even close. When I fill up my stock tank, it always says around 533 miles to empty, which is not even close to being correct. It is almost like the computer was set up for a larger capacity tank than the 38 gal. that was installed.
I wonder if there is a way the dealer can get this stuff set up to be a little closer?:shrug:
~Mike~

[B]2008 F-450 Lariat 4x4 6.4L PSD LWB DRW 4:88's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode