Looking at my options - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by wsa308, this thread has received 43 replies and been viewed 3931 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Looking at my options

I just thought I'd post some pics of my 2007 F-350 6.0L and also ask the question as to waht to replace it with. I am trying to get an honest opinion on all the 08's (Ford, Dodge and GM) any insight would be greatly appreciated. I will be posting this similar thread in each of the three message boards and plan on putting together a summary for those that are as confused about the options as I am.

I am looking for issues addressing the most common downfalls associated with that particular brand as well as options for modifications such as lifts, tire size, tuners and DPF delete options.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2648...02973397ugCbOm
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2269...02973397EOeMMA

Thank you in advance for all your information.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 08:05 PM

If you are not having troubles with yours, I would resist the bug on buying a new one for a while.

Dodge continues to have some problems with the emissions and clogging the DPF. The GM twins do not seem to have many problems other than a few limping in cold weather / snow conditions. The Ford's fuel economy is less than desirable, but no widespread catastrophic failures and buybacks like when the 6.0 was launched.

If you decide that you want at Ford, I have an F250 KR that I would sell you...
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Why you getting outta your 2008 F-250 KR? Are you having issues and how many miles you got on it?
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 03:43 AM

Several reasons. 5800 miles, no real issue other than the fuel economy stinks. I am moving and the subdivision where we bought has a policy prohibiting trucks being parked in the driveway overnight (I know, stupid, but it is a really nice subdivision and that is their rules). The truck is too long to fit in the garage, so it has got to go.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 03:59 AM

I hate subdivision rules...

2008 Red CCSB 6.4 Auto Lariat.
Stock 20's wrapped in 35x12.50R20 Toyo MT's, 3.73 gears, Nav, Backup Cam, Tailgate step, Upfitters, etc.
Mods: AFE Intake, Line-X, 20% Tint, Clear Bra, Husky Mats, Smoked Recon Mirror markers/3rd brake light, Bushwacker Pocket style flares w/ mud flaps + an aluminum Rapid Hitch (one of the best investments!)
Feel free to PM with any questions about any of my mods.

SRW Club #55
American Club #55

Last road trip-567 miles @ 20.7 mpg @ 67mpg average speed.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsa308
I just thought I'd post some pics of my 2007 F-350 6.0L and also ask the question as to waht to replace it with. I am trying to get an honest opinion on all the 08's (Ford, Dodge and GM) any insight would be greatly appreciated. I will be posting this similar thread in each of the three message boards and plan on putting together a summary for those that are as confused about the options as I am.

I am looking for issues addressing the most common downfalls associated with that particular brand as well as options for modifications such as lifts, tire size, tuners and DPF delete options.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2648...02973397ugCbOm
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2269...02973397EOeMMA

Thank you in advance for all your information.

Nick
Nice truck you have there already!

To answer your question, I personally feel the GMC with its DURAMAX 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 and Allison 6-speed automatic tranny is the better all around selection with proven reliability and performance. The aftermarket is pretty robust for the new GMs and you can do a lot with them.

However, the GMC/Chevys sit too low to the ground for my taste in a heavy duty truck but they do give you a nice ride. I personally feel the styling is a bit bland, as the interior although much better than my previous GM trucks. Their powertrains are stong, and make for a fairly quick truck. They also get decent mileage (compared to Ford's new F250s). For towing, I believe the GMCs have a slightly higher rating in 3/4 ton Crew configurations over the Fords.

But still, that didn't stop me from ordering a new '08 F250 with the 6.4L PSD.

For one thing, Ford is on Job 3 with these trucks so I am thinking (hoping?) that most of the issues you still read about from others have been addressed. And, I just loved the smooth, quiet power delivery and surge of the twin turbo setup. I know looks are subjective, but I also find the new Fords to be a much better "tough truck" design over the GMC/Chevy designs and I enjoy a higher ride height as well. I also thought the new F250 interior to be outstanding especially in the FX4 trim (again, a personal preference), and additional features not yet found with the other makes.

I did a lot of research with the aftermarket products as well, and there are a lot of neat performance upgrades and accessories available for the new F250 that influenced me some too. The Fords seem to respond the best to aftermarket upgrades in terms of all out performance, and have a stouter frame and suspension over the GMCs. In my eyes, the Ford just had the better presentation and "feel" of a real rig and it won me over the GMs and Dodge offerings. The new F250s ride and handle very well despite their heft, and their construction seems to be a cut above the rest. I considered a new Dodge 2500 with the Cummins diesel as I had one before and really enjoyed the engine, but didn't like the "cheap" impressions from the interior (dash and seating) and thin body panels. I had the uplevel Laramie with leather and all, but just didn't hold up against the newer GM designs (and recent Ford design). If you are serious about Dodge, wait a year as the newly redesigned trucks are coming out with much better interior materials and designs and you can get the Cummins engine.

Hope this helps and good luck!

<deleted reference to Toyota>
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 12:15 PM

iv got a job 2 truck and havnt had any problems with it.the fords do have a nice stock ride hieght.the new 6.4 is an awsome powerful moter,the omly problem is that the fuel mileag sucks.the new gm powertrain is very powerful.but the truck itself is not all that great.i dont realy now anything about the dodge
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 02:58 PM

Keep your truck. You've got it lookin' great! Love that front bumper gaurd.
Keep it for about 4 more years, then I'll buy it from you :

2006 Dodge Laramie Quad cab 4X4 muffler delete, that's it.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 08:28 PM

I would keep your 6.0 and wait a couple more years. By then the problems should be worked out.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dawg
I did a lot of research with the aftermarket products as well, and there are a lot of neat performance upgrades and accessories available for the new F250 that influenced me some too.
Spill the beans buddy and maybe that might influence my decision.......:bow:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode