Fuel in Engine Oil - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Marcusp, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 1570 times.

View Poll Results: Which Dodge deserves TOTM???
blackcloudCTD95 19 20.21%
prfssr 14 14.89%
cope junkie 9 9.57%
Kummins 33 35.11%
MoPower05 5 5.32%
JD5.9L 14 14.89%
Voters: 94. This poll is closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Question Fuel in Engine Oil

Is anybody else experiencing fuel in their engine oil? I happen to work at a Equipment dealership and we run oil samples on all our equipment and vehicles. We have several 2008 F550's in our fleet of trucks and each of them are testing positive with fuel in engine oil. I personally own a 2008 F250 and took a sample last night and it also appears to have fuel in oil. My truck only has 5700 miles and this is about the same mileage we are seeing the problem on the F550's. The lab is telling us the oil has tested positive for fuel in oil above 4% by volume. On one of the trucks we have noticed that the oil sample came back with with the viscosity at 7.7 which is half of what the viscosity of new oil. I am curious as to how many others are noticing this. The dealership does not know how to fix at this time and they don't seem to be concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusp
Is anybody else experiencing fuel in their engine oil? I happen to work at a Equipment dealership and we run oil samples on all our equipment and vehicles. We have several 2008 F550's in our fleet of trucks and each of them are testing positive with fuel in engine oil. I personally own a 2008 F250 and took a sample last night and it also appears to have fuel in oil. My truck only has 5700 miles and this is about the same mileage we are seeing the problem on the F550's. The lab is telling us the oil has tested positive for fuel in oil above 4% by volume. On one of the trucks we have noticed that the oil sample came back with with the viscosity at 7.7 which is half of what the viscosity of new oil. I am curious as to how many others are noticing this. The dealership does not know how to fix at this time and they don't seem to be concerned.
I brought this up several months ago and nothing ever seem to come of it and to tell you the truth I don't think many people check there oil.....
Ford knows about and does the old it ok.......
I call bullshi## and thats why I don't drive mine and have been waiting for these delete kits and tuners to come out so no more regen and then there should be no more fuel in the oil.....
Not to mention the old 5" straight pipe,more horse power,and BETTER FUEL MILAGE......
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yes you are correct Ford seems to be in denial. As far a the regeneration statement, I don't feel by taking this out of the eqaution is going to solve the problem because the fuel is applied to the exhaust after the turbo and as far as I know there is no way this can get back into the engine. I do appreciate your reply. I am inquiring to see if I can have an international dealer look into the problem for us.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 08:38 AM
SeaPig

Garage
Quote:
Yes you are correct Ford seems to be in denial. As far a the regeneration statement, I don't feel by taking this out of the eqaution is going to solve the problem because the fuel is applied to the exhaust after the turbo and as far as I know there is no way this can get back into the engine. I do appreciate your reply. I am inquiring to see if I can have an international dealer look into the problem for us.
: Good call, I would also be interested in what International has to say about the matter.:
Mine came back negative from Blackstone for fuel in the oil, but it always seems like the oil is high on the dip stick just after a few hundered miles ran.
~Mike~

[B]2008 F-450 Lariat 4x4 6.4L PSD LWB DRW 4:88's
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well my sample does show fuel in the oil on my truck. We also spoke to the International dealer and they stated they can't perform warranty repairs on these engines. I suggest that everyone that reads this thread and has not had an oil sample tested I suggest you do so. No engine is suppose to have diesel fuel in the engine oil. If you need to know where to send sample just stop by any Caterpillar dealer in your area and they will set you up. It should cost less than $15.00 per sample.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 02:37 PM

also the design and material of the rings and sleeves is different and designed to handle the wash of the fuel that gets by but i dont want to waist any fuel when it cost 3.50 a gallon.

Also when you shut down regen and reprogram there wont be fuel sent since there is no need for the computer to do it if its not going to regen.
That boys is how you get fuel mileage back,you should give Mat a call at Spartan he seems to have a good handle on these new trucks.......
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes you are correct Ford seems to be in denial. As far a the regeneration statement, I don't feel by taking this out of the eqaution is going to solve the problem because the fuel is applied to the exhaust after the turbo and as far as I know there is no way this can get back into the engine.
NO. Fuel is injected into the CYLINDER during the EXHAUST STROKE, where it travels thru the system to the DOC and DPF, reacting in the DOC to elevate exhaust temps.

If you drive it HARD this will be a minimal problem, but if you use your truck for commuting in an urban area, grocery getting and allow it to idle, THEN you can expect up to 6% or so of fuel contamination during a normal OCI.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 12:35 AM

Greg N

add me to the list, of fuel in oil, first noticed at, my 2008 F550, 10,000 mile breakdown/ oil change.Truck shut down due to low oil pressure, towed to dealer the mech. got stuck on the fuel mileage and low fuel pressure, due to sucking air forgot to look at the 22 qts of oil in crankcase. long story.... I changed oil (still have it) then again at 15000 truck had 19 qts of oil. dealership informed me yesterday that they have been made aware of the problem by ford and it is caused by regen, my truck does regen every 45 miles or so
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Angry Fuel in engine oil

So John you feel it is ok to have fuel in the oil? Yes you are correct as far I can tell ford is injecting fuel on the exhaust stroke in the cylinder to bring temperature to 1100 degrees at regeneration process. So is it your thought that we could be experiencing cylinder wash? is that how the fuel is getting to the engine oil?
My truck has 5700 miles and has fuel dilution. I do believe ford says we are suppose to change oil at 10,000 miles at regular use, I can't make that. One of our F550's at work is experiencing fuel in oil above 4% and we have been changing the oil at 2500 - 5000 miles and now the lead is rising, So you think this is ok. also I noticed a post today that someone is on his third engine and he states its results of fuel in the oil of at least one of the engines.

Ford needs to get a handle on this problem!!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

I have not seen any engineering data about the maximum fuel dilution allowed. We used to see 6% commonly on engines that idled a lot, but we never lost an engine from an "oil related failure", they WORE out. Two times we launched a rod, once was when an engine overheated, was "repaired" and placed back into service. The oil cooler was plugged with silicone worms, and the rod bearing on #3 cylinder failed. Not a dilution/oil problem. The next engine lost a rod in the morning after a cold start (-25*F) when the driver set the hand throttle after starting it and it went WOT with cold oil.

I don't see 4%-7% dilution causing this, but with 10W-30, it *could* I suppose. It all depends on what oil you are running and how the vehicle is used.

Look at it this way. If you doddle around town for 7,000 miles, do 10+ regens, then take it into the mountains with 5% fuel in the oil and 10W-30 oil pulling a 10,000# RV, you will potentiall do damage. In different scenarios this would not be a problem, and it may not in this one.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode