Pulled a 14,500lbs 5th wheel for 600 miles.... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 08-450dually, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 2280 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Pulled a 14,500lbs 5th wheel for 600 miles....

Got my totally stock f450 dually and left to Reno to buy a 14,500lbs Toy hauler. Truck did great, averaging 7mpg combination steady 4% uphill pull and elevation of 4,500 to 6200ft above sea level (overtook an anemic new looking Dodge with a much lighter RV). Yeah, it is ****ty fuel mileage, but oh well! One thing was quite interesting....I was hauling my toy hauler up an 8-10% grade for about, oh, 120 yards and everything going well when suddenly my 6.4 had a sudden new sound......sounded like a distant muscle car at wide open throttle. I looked around and was looking for a Mopar Hemi, or a Ford 451 cleveland...but I was the only one there. I let go of the gas pedal and the sound went away. I thought....what the hell was that?? No power loss, just that low grunt/rumble. Anybody with any ideas of what was going on??

Need to do something about that ridiculous low fuel mileage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-450dually View Post
Got my totally stock f450 dually and left to Reno to buy a 14,500lbs Toy hauler. Truck did great, averaging 7mpg combination steady 4% uphill pull and elevation of 4,500 to 6200ft above sea level (overtook an anemic new looking Dodge with a much lighter RV). Yeah, it is ****ty fuel mileage, but oh well! One thing was quite interesting....I was hauling my toy hauler up an 8-10% grade for about, oh, 120 yards and everything going well when suddenly my 6.4 had a sudden new sound......sounded like a distant muscle car at wide open throttle. I looked around and was looking for a Mopar Hemi, or a Ford 451 cleveland...but I was the only one there. I let go of the gas pedal and the sound went away. I thought....what the hell was that?? No power loss, just that low grunt/rumble. Anybody with any ideas of what was going on??

If I were to guess, I would say that your truck went into a regen cycle. And you are not the only stock truck with bad fuel economy. I get 8-10 towing 14k out of West Virginia. The bad economy is due to the Diesel Particulate Filter or DPF. This now standard on all 07.5 and newer trucks. Soot created by the diesel engine gets trapped in this filter. When the filter starts to get full, regen occurs. The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) disables, extra fuel is added on the exhaust stroke, which increases exhaust gas temps to burn the soot out of the dpf. So there is more fuel used. A lot of people, including myself are getting rid of the dpf's and getting tuners to go along with it. You need some kind of computer programming to disable the regen cycle. And if this makes you mad, thank the wonderful EPA.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Hi Greenhorn. Yup, I know all about the regen cycle and had a feeling it was regen during that time, but I always get "cleaning DPF" on the dash when it happens. It was not on. Anyway, I do want to get rid of that DPF/exhaust plug and am considering Spartan.....But.....I'm not convinced yet they have all the bugs ironed out on the cold weather issue. I know many have posted accolades of the newest tunes, but I get the feeling many are just excited about their new toy. I'll just wait a little more.....
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Hi Greenhorn. Yup, I know all about the regen cycle and had a feeling it was regen during that time, but I always get "cleaning DPF" on the dash when it happens. It was not on. Anyway, I do want to get rid of that DPF/exhaust plug and am considering Spartan.....But.....I'm not convinced yet they have all the bugs ironed out on the cold weather issue. I know many have posted accolades of the newest tunes, but I get the feeling many are just excited about their new toy. I'll just wait a little more.....
I have yet to get rid of my DPF with the spartan tuning. Sometime this week when the pipe and sensors come, it is going bye bye. I am not a vendor or salesman for them, but they do seem to have the bugs ironed out with the cold weather tunes. I have been researching what I wanted to do since July of 08 pretty hard. I have literally spent weeks of time on the internet looking at what everyone has to offer. I went with Spartan because they only deal with the new powerstrokes. The owner, Matt races his, daily drives it, and I think he even tows with it, and no problems. There are some guys that have had the tuning for 20k or more with no problems, other than the known Ford ones.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well, I can see how Mats truck would run great. He has the equipment and know-how to custom change and manipulate all variables to his one truck. If only all trucks were created equal then there would be less of a problem when broadcasting tunes for the masses. But, from what I've been reading, every truck is different, hence, the different fuel mileage, power etc.,

I've been thinking that perhaps the best, best, best thing to do is to send my truck to him and have him custom tune it right there and then. But, I'm sure this would take too much time and then everyone would want to to it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 10:53 PM

Question Cooling Fan

Quote:

Are you sure that wasn't the engine cooling fan kicking on causing all that noise?

2008 F450 6.4 diesel dually loaded.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:03 PM

Transmission Cooler!

2012 Ford F350 Tuxedo Black King Ranch, 6.7L Powerstroke, SRW, Long Bed, 20" Wheels, etc......

Traded: 2011 Ford F350 White Platinum Tri-Coat, 6.7L Powerstorke Turbo Diesel, Lariat Ultimate Package, 20" Wheels, etc.......

*SOLD* 2008 Ford F-250, Black with Pueblo Gold, 6.4L Turbo Diesel, 285 65 R20E BF Goodrich All Terrains.

2006 Triton TR20X Bassmaster Classic Edition
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x6 bulldog View Post
Are you sure that wasn't the engine cooling fan kicking on causing all that noise?
Ill bet it wasn't a Ford 451 Cleveland

2008 Lariat, CC, SB, 3.73, stock 20's
-High idle mod

1987 Mustang GT
-331 CI A4 block
-95# injectors
-90mm TB
-80mm turbo
-Powerglide
-3.27 gear
-28x10.5 ET Drag

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supr87gt View Post
Ill bet it wasn't a Ford 451 Cleveland
Thats exactly what I was thinking.

2008 F250 CCLB Auto 4x4
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x6 bulldog View Post
I'm retarded. I don't know why I didn't think of that:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode