I think I broke the truckÖ.. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Gerry, this thread has received 16 replies and been viewed 2051 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

I think I broke the truckÖ..

Last night on the way home from the NMRA race in Bradenton, FL I noticed a strange noise coming from under the hood. Iím not sure where itís coming from and it only does it when I take off from a stop or when I press the pedal to pass a car. It sounds like a loud metal to metal squealing noise like when youíre using grinding wheel and you and you put a bolt on it to grind it off (thatís the best way I can describe it). From sitting in the cab it sounds like itís coming from the driverís side of the engine bay but itís hard to tell because youíre moving and what not. The truck hasnít lost any power and still runs like a scared rabbit so whatever it is has affect the trucks performance yet.

A couple of hours before I noticed the squealing noise I noticed the truck has a more pronounced growling/rumbling noise to it when I get on it a little. Not sure if the two are related but the growling/rumbling sound gets annoying on a long 7+ hr drive.

The degas bottle isnít tossing itís cookies all over the place and the level in the bottle hasnít moved in past 10 months and sits about an inch below the full level. Iíve never noticed any fluids on the ground and Iím still on my first radiator. The truckís been problem free for 24,000 miles and its due for another oil and fuel filter change soon. Iíll be changing the transmission fluid at the same time because 16,000 of my total 24,000 have been towing a 12,500 trailer and I want to keep the fluids nice and clean.

All the gauges looked good and the EGTs never got above 1000 degrees while the outside temp was in the low 80ís. For the most part they stayed between 750 and 850 degrees for the entire trip. The water temp stayed at 198-202, oil temp was 208-210 in the middle of the day and dropped to 201-203 when the sun went down. The transmission fluid temp stayed at 174-176 all the time day or night.

If any oneís had a similar problem with their truck let me know what it was and how they fixed it. Iíll be putting the truck back to stock tonight so it can visit the dealership this week and I hope itís something simple like an idler bearing gone bad. I'll keep you guys posted on what's going on.

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 PM

hope it turns out to be something little

2008 F250 CC SB - It all wont fit in the sig so why bother?

Singles Club #222
December 2008 TOTM
Riding High Club #2
2008 Truck of the Year
Ridin' Dirty Club #2

Big Thanks to:
Smokin' Guns Peformance and Accessories - Smokingunsperf.com
Throttle Junkie Performance Parts - tjpparts.com
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Bailey47

I think I broke the truck

I had the same issue. If it a Job #1 truck built before 6/18/07, it is a heater hose restrictor. Sounds like metal to metal grinding. Hard to believe but that is what it was. TSB 07-24-2
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey47 View Post
I had the same issue. If it a Job #1 truck built before 6/18/07, it is a heater hose restrictor. Sounds like metal to metal grinding. Hard to believe but that is what it was. TSB 07-24-2
Thanks for the info....... It's a Job 2 truck build in July of '07 but maybe they used a few leftover parts..... .
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 PM

I had the same hose replaced on my rig!! Try that 1st.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 02:00 AM
git-r-done

Can this sound be described as a "gear whine"? I get somthing like that occasionally under harder acceleration. It seems to be coming from the dash slightly toward the passenger side.

Thad Seybert
2008 F-350 crew cab short bed Lariat 4x4 6.4 with 3.73's Spartan flash update 250 210 175 150, S&B intake, MBRP cool duals, Rockford amps, Infinity speakers, Tuff Tonneau,
1996 F-250 extended cab short bed 4x4 7.3 5-spd with 3.55's , DIY STG 1's, 4" Diamond Eye duals, DIY Intake, dp tuner, Cobalt gauges, Adrenaline pump, SD springs, D66 turbo, 6.0 intercooler, Custom electric regulated fuel system, Truetrac.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well she's all back to stock and going to the dealer on Thursday morning. Hopefully it won't be too bad but while I was under the truck I found a few things I want then to look at. I have oil all over the bottom of the front cover, it looks like the power steering box is leaking down the side of it and if I'm lucky I'll finally get the radio controls on the steering wheel fixed.

Thad, I don't think it's gear whine but any thing's possible.

Gerry
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 01:17 PM

Garage
Not to get off topic BUTTTT...did you race NMRA? How was the event?

Hope they fix your truck too.

2008 Lariat, CC, SB, 3.73, stock 20's
-High idle mod

1987 Mustang GT
-331 CI A4 block
-95# injectors
-90mm TB
-80mm turbo
-Powerglide
-3.27 gear
-28x10.5 ET Drag

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by supr87gt View Post
Not to get off topic BUTTTT...did you race NMRA? How was the event?

Hope they fix your truck too.
Yes I raced..... I run a '94 Ranger in the Truck and Lighting class. This was my first NMRA event but I plan to make at least 4 races and possibly all of them if the moneyís there. The weekend was great with lots of racers showing up and the spectators packed the grand stands. I also run the Battle of the Brands Series (previously known as Fun Ford Weekend) but I havenít seen this many people at an event in a long time.

We got to see a record setting pass when Jason Lee ran the first Drag Radial competition 7-second pass with a 7.97 @ 174.05 mph. We saw a few crashes, a few fires and several crazy A** wheelstands. I think the hardest crash of the weekend was the 2008 Pro Outlaw 10.5 champion Conrad Scary hitting both walls and then flipping his car on itís roof @ 180+ mph. Thank the lord he was fine but the car took a really good beating.

Here's a link to the weekend wrap up....... http://www.nmraracing.com

For me personally it wasn't a great weekend and I went out in the first round on Sunday morning. I'm still getting used to running a Pro tree because I've never run anything but a sportsman tree until this year so I'll get better as time goes on. I still had a blast and I encourage everyone to come out and race or watch because youíll have a great time.

Gerry
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Yes I raced..... I run a '94 Ranger in the Truck and Lighting class. This was my first NMRA event but I plan to make at least 4 races and possibly all of them if the moneyís there. The weekend was great with lots of racers showing up and the spectators packed the grand stands. I also run the Battle of the Brands Series (previously known as Fun Ford Weekend) but I havenít seen this many people at an event in a long time.

We got to see a record setting pass when Jason Lee ran the first Drag Radial competition 7-second pass with a 7.97 @ 174.05 mph. We saw a few crashes, a few fires and several crazy A** wheelstands. I think the hardest crash of the weekend was the 2008 Pro Outlaw 10.5 champion Conrad Scary hitting both walls and then flipping his car on itís roof @ 180+ mph. Thank the lord he was fine but the car took a really good beating.

Here's a link to the weekend wrap up....... http://www.nmraracing.com

For me personally it wasn't a great weekend and I went out in the first round on Sunday morning. I'm still getting used to running a Pro tree because I've never run anything but a sportsman tree until this year so I'll get better as time goes on. I still had a blast and I encourage everyone to come out and race or watch because youíll have a great time.

Gerry

Good to see you had a great time. My uncle runs in the outlaw 10.5 classes when they run them but hasn't been out in awhile due to medical reasons. When he gets the OK to go, watch out for him, he'll be on it once they get the new setup dialed in. His name is Ed Rice and runs a TT 95 GT. The past couple of seasons he's been driving Gino Cavalerri's (sp?) 85 GT in NMRA and NMCA.

2008 Lariat, CC, SB, 3.73, stock 20's
-High idle mod

1987 Mustang GT
-331 CI A4 block
-95# injectors
-90mm TB
-80mm turbo
-Powerglide
-3.27 gear
-28x10.5 ET Drag

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode