07 Frame - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by TooMuchBoost, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 3305 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
143 MPH Smoke Machine

07 Frame

Does anyone know if the 07's are going to a hydroformed frame?

All things considered I hope not.:

The Fat Rabbit: 2005 TDI Passat loaded GLS, Custom Rocketchip, Hybrid GT17/22V Turbo, Beta KermaTDI FMIC, Kerma Race Injectors, fuel cooler, Garmin 2620, Uniden BC246T, Avon Tech M550 A/S and Starmate Replay.

Still the fastest TDI Passat in the Western Hemisphere by far thanks to Rocketchip and KermaTDI.:Thumbup:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 01:24 AM

My money says the frame is the same as the current models.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 04:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Summit6.6
:agreed:

2007 Chevy LMM CC SB LTZ
ORU SAS- Dana 60, 11" lift, 38" Toyos, 20" Black KMC Monsters, Fox reserviors, hydro assist, Amp Steps, EFI Live, AFE, custom MBRP 5"

07 CRF450r
07 GSXR 600
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
143 MPH Smoke Machine
Threadstarter

I hope so. Both for Ford's fleet market and the poor consumer.

The Fat Rabbit: 2005 TDI Passat loaded GLS, Custom Rocketchip, Hybrid GT17/22V Turbo, Beta KermaTDI FMIC, Kerma Race Injectors, fuel cooler, Garmin 2620, Uniden BC246T, Avon Tech M550 A/S and Starmate Replay.

Still the fastest TDI Passat in the Western Hemisphere by far thanks to Rocketchip and KermaTDI.:Thumbup:

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 07:12 PM

I thought the frame was basicly the old 550 frame? :shrug:
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Suck,Squish,Bang,Blow

Had a long discussion with a ford frame engineer about a year ago. He would not give any details and said we would have to wait and see but we may be surprised. We did at length discuss the issues with a hydro frame. The tone was that it would not be on the truck. There are a lot of hurdles that hurt the use on a superduty. #1 is aftermarket support. The trucks are popular because you can hang anything on the frame you want. Bumpers, beds, plows etc..
A hydroformed fame by nature will not allow the flexibility to drill it at will and bolt something to it. It was also said they are very un-weld friendly. There were a few other points but the tone did not look good for it. I would not be surprised if you see a true C-channel frame with returns seperating from a somewhat U-shape(for torsional stiffness). Or we could get a version of a boxed frame.
Hard to say I will just have to take a field trip and get a good look. Then again the test mules are usually a newer drive train in an older body.

Doug

2004/04 F-350 6.0L(b.o.d. 12-11-03)
Just a couple of Mods :Thumbup:

More toys than time...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:56 PM
'Ol Builder guy

Boxed frames suck when it comes to rust and mounting equipment. Look at bigger trucks, they have C channel frames. If it's strong enough for my IH dump, it's strong enough for any pick-up.

I have seen an evolution of frames on the F-450/550. The 19,000 GVW version came with a factory doubled frame-just like a big dump. The last one I looked at was one piece but thicker.

I say keep-it-simple-stupid applies here.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
143 MPH Smoke Machine
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinMud
Had a long discussion with a ford frame engineer about a year ago. He would not give any details and said we would have to wait and see but we may be surprised. We did at length discuss the issues with a hydro frame. The tone was that it would not be on the truck. There are a lot of hurdles that hurt the use on a superduty. #1 is aftermarket support. The trucks are popular because you can hang anything on the frame you want. Bumpers, beds, plows etc..
A hydroformed fame by nature will not allow the flexibility to drill it at will and bolt something to it. It was also said they are very un-weld friendly. There were a few other points but the tone did not look good for it. I would not be surprised if you see a true C-channel frame with returns separating from a somewhat U-shape(for torsional stiffness). Or we could get a version of a boxed frame.
Hard to say I will just have to take a field trip and get a good look. Then again the test mules are usually a newer drive train in an older body.

Doug
Great post. The only thing you missed is when the truck has been in a wreck. Even though GM has had hydroformed truck frames since the 99 model year I still talk to bodymen on a weekly basis that don't know the do's and don'ts when it comes to repairing or replacing.

While I'm sure tens of thousands of trucks with hydro frames have been heated and pulled the fact of the matter is IF you have to apply heat to make the frame pull it's GAME OVER and you must replace the frame.

Unfortunately a lot of estimators/managers/owners/body men still don't know this.

A perfect example is the shop in NE ATL where I take my work to. The estimator/manager knew this but the co-owner who has done body work for 15+ years (now is one of their painters) did not until I brought it up. He told me he's heated and pulled many in the past because he didn't know.

I was at a body shop in Tallahassee, FL about a year ago and they had a 2yo D'max dually that hit a palm tree pretty easy front dead center. Even though the radiator had just barely been pushed into the fan the problem was the frame horns were bent to the point they needed 'heated' frame pulling.

What could have been a $4K repair turned into a $12K+ repair because a new frame was spec'd/required and believe me when I say a hydro frame bends easily but requires a torch and 12 tons to pull.

The g/f has a new 150 and the positive thing about a hydro is you can run 70 mph down a dirt road and feels/sounds like you are doing 40 mph. That's fine for a chick truck but I'll take a real frame any day of the week.

Something to consider too: If the frame can't be pulled and must be replaced who benefits now?

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 01:09 AM
'Ol Builder guy

Yup, the hydroforms are great for L/D trucks.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:20 AM

I wonder if all the trucks have a Hydro front frame like the Duramax? I know the Dodge does....I guess that just leaves Ford. Does a Ford have a fully boxed front frame clip?

I was talking to a body man last year who happens to be a Ford NUT. Wille said that once the rivets 'pop' on a Ford.....it's due a new frame. He said that bolts won't hold well and they cannot rivet like the factory. He replace most of the bent Ford frames.

I think that the light duty trucks neEd the stifness because of the "platform" design. If they twisted like a big-truck frame the Suburban, Excursion and Vans would wrinkle like worms. ....Donno? :shrug:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode