Breaking in the TDI - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by KarTek, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 857 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
TDG Member Since 2004?

Garage
Question Breaking in the TDI

Guys and Gals,

I'm anxious to start enjoying the Golf but I'm not sure about what type of trips to take to get it broken in right. Ultimately, it will be Sue's commuter. She has a 40 mile one way trip to work every day - a 3 minute drive from home to the interstate then 65 to 75 curise the rest of the way.

To me, this doesn't seem to be the best course to break it in properly. She took it out the other day and drove around the neighborhood and down to the local store but no interstate driving yet.

What do you all suggest?

:thanks:

-Evan

2000 Ford F250, Merillion, 6sp, AIC, DPTuner, BB turbo, Adreneline pump, modified IDM.

1998 Mercedes E300, Custom injector nozzles, soon to have Eaton M90 supercharger, 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 turbo and a full custom intake and exhaust system = 400HP from 3.0l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Supporting Vendor

get in it, and drive it like you stole it...

Josh Davis
32 Lugnuts, 4 gallons of rotella Syn, 5 gallons of coolant, Two Heads, 8 Pistons, 7 U-Joints, 8 Injectors and some exhaust.
You know you are doing something right when the Ford dealers call you for parts.
6.0L Ford
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR2w7Ciaut8
6.4L Ford
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KmgiQg4G8E
WWW.RIVERCITYDIESEL.COM
(309) 699-2488
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 01:44 AM
Super Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogginF350
get in it, and drive it like you stole it...
That's the way my wife drives hers.:smoke: That car really is fun to drive. I giggle like a teenager every time I get rubber in 2nd.:93C_peelo on:

Tony

2002 DODGE 4WD QUAD CAB 2500, SUNCOAST 47RE W/TRIPLE DISK AND BILLET INPUT SHAFT, F.A.S.S, 2 INCH LEVELING SPACERS, FP,BOOST,PYRO,TRANS GAUGES, 5 INCH STRAIGHT PIPEDon: 10K+miles on B100 18.3mpg (BEST)

2003 TDI GOLF (WIFE'S) 50+ MPG

1985 1.6L n/a diesel GOLF, FULL 3 INCH EXHAUST 45 MPG ON FIRST TANK

66' CHEVELLE SS BB468", TH400, 9" W/LOCKER, MOSER AXLES
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
TDG Member Since 2004?
Threadstarter

Garage
This car has something like, 40 miles on it now so I'm a little chicken of having her drive it on the interstate at sustained speeds....

-Evan

2000 Ford F250, Merillion, 6sp, AIC, DPTuner, BB turbo, Adreneline pump, modified IDM.

1998 Mercedes E300, Custom injector nozzles, soon to have Eaton M90 supercharger, 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 turbo and a full custom intake and exhaust system = 400HP from 3.0l
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartek
This car has something like, 40 miles on it now so I'm a little chicken of having her drive it on the interstate at sustained speeds....
Dont worry about it man... Those little motors are tough.. Break in periods on engines are nothing like in the past. The components are built with much better materials. The machine work is precise. Almost every caterpillar piece of heavy equipment that rolls off the assembly line might get 10 min of idle time then it is up to 2k to 2500 rpms where it will spend the rest of its life. The most important thing you can do is change the oil after 500 miles to get the import oil out of it. If you checked it new it was most likely a nasty yellow color. Unless they used mobil. I know kubota equipment the first thing you want to do is ditch the oil after break in. That jap oil is nasty and has no grade standards as compared to the U.S. And again the break in periods were critical on older car and equipment when precision machine shops were not so precision and precision bearings were unheard of. And the crankshaft etc. had to actually wear into the bearings for clearance. I am not saying go out there and put a brick on the pedal.. But you will be fine to let her drive it however she wants.:Thumbup:

Josh Davis
32 Lugnuts, 4 gallons of rotella Syn, 5 gallons of coolant, Two Heads, 8 Pistons, 7 U-Joints, 8 Injectors and some exhaust.
You know you are doing something right when the Ford dealers call you for parts.
6.0L Ford
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR2w7Ciaut8
6.4L Ford
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KmgiQg4G8E
WWW.RIVERCITYDIESEL.COM
(309) 699-2488

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode