Mercedes ?'s - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by sstockton, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 1017 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Mercedes ?'s

Hey, I'm thinking of bringing home this old mercedes diesel, it was my uncle's but he passed away about 4 years ago, and the car has just been sitting. I've never looked under the hood, so I don't know anything about them. I was just thinking it'll probably get better MPG than my dodge. I am inclined to say its a late 70's early 80's model.
Any info would be great. Are those turbo charged, IDI or direct injection. What mods can be done. How do the transmissions hold up? what kind of Milage are they showing? anything would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 09:38 PM

If they are tuned rite they are very reliable and have been known to run to a half a million miles, It is no race car but it will get 30 mpg
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 12:02 PM
TDG Member Since 2004?

Garage
Model?

Hi,

A model number would be helpfull for more detailed information. A common model for that time was a 300 TD or just 300 D. Very reliable... I think the engine was used in a Mercedes world record setting test car. Can't remember the model number, something like C 222 or something like that... :shrug:

On edit, it was a C111...

Read here:

In 1976, Mercedes-Benz decided to disprove the old prejudice – and what could have been better suited to providing counter-evidence than a C 111 with diesel engine? The engineers installed a three-liter naturally-aspirated compression-ignition engine with five cylinders in the C 111-II for the first tests. In the car, now called C 111-IID, the OM 617 LA engine developed as much as 190 hp, thanks to turbocharging and intercooling, as opposed to the 80 hp output of the production engine which powered the Mercedes-Benz 240 D 3.0 (W 115, Stroke Eight) and, at a later stage, other models. In June 1976, the C 111-IID reached spectacular speeds on the test track at Nardo near Lecce in Italy. In the course of 60 hours, four drivers established a total of 16 world records – thirteen of these applying to diesel-engined cars and three to cars in general, irrespective of their type of engine. During the tests, an average speed of 252 km/h was recorded, and Mercedes-Benz proved impressively that diesels also have sprinter qualities.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/classics...ance-and-speed

-Evan

2000 Ford F250, Merillion, 6sp, AIC, DPTuner, BB turbo, Adreneline pump, modified IDM.

1998 Mercedes E300, Custom injector nozzles, soon to have Eaton M90 supercharger, 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 turbo and a full custom intake and exhaust system = 400HP from 3.0l
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I want to say that it is a 300D, I'm not sure of that though. I will be down there the end of this week, and I'll check it out. take a look under the hood, and see what all I can figure out from it. Thanks,
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode