Dodge/Freightliner/Mercedes/Sprinter Van? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by DoOver, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 1667 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to DoOver
Dodge/Freightliner/Mercedes/Sprinter Van?

Hey, my first post here. I see a lot of names from other boards. I'm looking at this Hi top van. I read that they are coming out with 4x4 next year. I'm an Electrical Contractor and I like the it has doors on both sides. Any one have the low down? Thanks Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 02:55 AM

why the 4x4?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Hey Rich, I live in the mountains, on a normal year it's 7 months of mud and snow and ice. Most of my customers live on dirt roads. I was looking at the Chevy van with doors on both sides but it doesn't come in the diesel/Allison and it would still need a Quigley kit. Brian
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 10:41 AM

If you are certain about needing a diesel the Ford vans with the diesels can get a Quigley conversion. There are a few gas power ones around here. They look pretty mean. Just a thought. Chris

I'm a little more country than that...

2011 F-350 Extended Cab Short Box Lariat

SOLD
2004 F350 Regular Cab Long Box XLT; FX4, 6.0L and TorqShift; Manual Transfer Case and Hubs; Dark Shadow Grey Metallic; Keyless Entry; Factory Idle Control; 8 1/2' Fisher MMII; Factory 18" Wheels painted black with 305/70R18 Mickey Thompson ATZ's in the summer and XL Steel Wheels painted Black with 285/75R16 ProComp A/T's in the Winter; Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Kit; Isspro Pyrometer, Boost, and Transmission Temperature Gauges in an Overhead Pod; SCT by Innovative Diesel; Innovative Moderate FICM Tune; ARP Head Studs; '03 Turbo screaming through a 4" Turbo Back 409 MBRP System with both Deletes and 6" Tip.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Hey Chris, I don't want a van, I'm to big and fat to crawl around in one. The problem with most vans to me is there is a door on the pass. side and one in the back. Chevy came out with a van with either two fold up doors in the cargo area or two sliding doors on each side. With a set up like that I can install shelves on either side and access my parts from outside the van. Long items can be installed from the rear doors. But Chevy doesn't make the deisel/alllision version of this. Both Ford and Chevy have a low roof.. Chevy makes a viscose{sp?] 4X4 in in 1/2 ton mode only. This Mercedes has a 6'1" roof with upright/ streight sides. It has two rear doors that open all the way open like the Chevy. But it also has a sliding door on the drivers and passenger side. With 4X4 it should be perfect for me.I was asking about the engine/ tranny combo. It a 5 cylinder direct injection common rail and a 5 speed auto.
I like the Quigleys, but now the truck is to high, you have to crawl up and then in.
I have utillite bodies. You buy a nice truck and install an ugly body that rusts out in five years. If you put a cap on over the bed you are back to the crawling/piling up problem.
Thanks Brian
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 07:55 PM

True. I know there are some Sprinters around here, however they are few and far between. I don't know of a four wheel drive option, however if they infact do it I imagine it may be a little bit taller.

I'm a little more country than that...

2011 F-350 Extended Cab Short Box Lariat

SOLD
2004 F350 Regular Cab Long Box XLT; FX4, 6.0L and TorqShift; Manual Transfer Case and Hubs; Dark Shadow Grey Metallic; Keyless Entry; Factory Idle Control; 8 1/2' Fisher MMII; Factory 18" Wheels painted black with 305/70R18 Mickey Thompson ATZ's in the summer and XL Steel Wheels painted Black with 285/75R16 ProComp A/T's in the Winter; Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Kit; Isspro Pyrometer, Boost, and Transmission Temperature Gauges in an Overhead Pod; SCT by Innovative Diesel; Innovative Moderate FICM Tune; ARP Head Studs; '03 Turbo screaming through a 4" Turbo Back 409 MBRP System with both Deletes and 6" Tip.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Chris, from the article I read, the 4X4 is not done yet. They redesigned this truck, so looks like next year. UPS and Fedex have them here. The Fedex guys here are private contractors and own the vans. The new single rear wheel UPS step vans around here is a Freightliner frame with the same 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel and an aluminum body. These trucks don't carry as much weight as I am going to but the get a lot more miles/hours.Thanks Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode