TDI Oil Change Questions - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by KarTek, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 2439 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
TDG Member Since 2004?

Garage
TDI Oil Change Questions

Guys,

Just changed the oil for the first time in the Golf last night and I have some questions. First, there's a big "cap" on the bottom of what appears to be an oil cooler. This cap has a large hex on it suggesting that it can be easily removed. Does this cap need to be removed to drain some portion of the oil system?

Also, when I removed the dust cover on the bottom of the engine, a couple of plastic plug looking things fell out of somewhere. I know it's not much good without a picture but one is oval, about 3" long and the other is a little clip type thing that looks like something that may be used to hold cables together...

I'm taking them to the dealer for identification but your assistance is appreciated!

:thanks:

-Evan

2000 Ford F250, Merillion, 6sp, AIC, DPTuner, BB turbo, Adreneline pump, modified IDM.

1998 Mercedes E300, Custom injector nozzles, soon to have Eaton M90 supercharger, 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 turbo and a full custom intake and exhaust system = 400HP from 3.0l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 12:21 PM

No, the hex bolt does not need to be removed to get all the oil out. I cannot help you with the plugs, I always pump my oil out with the pela 6000. It makes changing oil a 10 minute job and gets 95 percent of the oil out.

Did you run Castrol 505.1? Where did you buy it? My dealer said you can get it anywhere now, but I have never seen it anywhere..
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
TDG Member Since 2004?
Threadstarter

Garage
Thanks for the info. I just bought this first batch of 505 oil at the dealer.
It's pretty scary when there's a label in the engine compartment that says words to the effect: "your engine may fail on the highway possibly leading to a catastrophic accident"

-Evan

2000 Ford F250, Merillion, 6sp, AIC, DPTuner, BB turbo, Adreneline pump, modified IDM.

1998 Mercedes E300, Custom injector nozzles, soon to have Eaton M90 supercharger, 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 turbo and a full custom intake and exhaust system = 400HP from 3.0l
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
TDG Member Since 2004?
Threadstarter

Garage
OK, I took the plug down to the trusty dealer and the parts guy just punched the number into the computer and voila! The picture showed it being the plug that covers the windshield squirters under the hood. The clip thing was one of those used to hold the underhood insulation up.

Niether was missing so I figured they dropped them during assembly and didn't bother to try and hunt them down.

-Evan

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 12:06 PM

I have not seen the golf, but if you drop something in the jetta, there is no way it could ever hit the ground..... that thing has more plastic under it..... Glad things worked out for you!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 05:38 PM
SLAPS President

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISurvivedNMU
I have not seen the golf, but if you drop something in the jetta, there is no way it could ever hit the ground..... that thing has more plastic under it.....
Boy, if that isn't the truth!! There must be something like 14 screws in two different sizes under mine issed: issed:

2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155's from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); Di-Pricol gauges; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7;Tunes by Tony Wildman & IDP; B&W hitch; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT radio; JL Audio 275w amp w/ 12" sub; Alpine door and rear seat speakers. pics
Dually club member #76

SLAPS President and Webmaster

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. - quote by Samuel Adams

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamroper60
Boy, if that isn't the truth!! There must be something like 14 screws in two different sizes under mine issed: issed:
My first oil change was at a quickie lube because I was travelling and those DA's left all but a handfull of clips/bolts out.

I suck my oil out through the dipstick with a Pella pump like you do a I/O boat.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 05:22 AM
SLAPS President

Garage
Quote:
I suck my oil out through the dipstick with a Pella pump like you do a I/O boat.
What is the trick to this?? I bought one of those Pella pumps after reading about it on TDIclub.com but when I tried to use it, I could never get more than 3 quarts out of it..... I gave up trying.... I've found a myriad of uses for the pump, but changing my oil ain't one of them...... I'd sure like to find out how this is supposed to work.....

2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155's from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); Di-Pricol gauges; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7;Tunes by Tony Wildman & IDP; B&W hitch; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT radio; JL Audio 275w amp w/ 12" sub; Alpine door and rear seat speakers. pics
Dually club member #76

SLAPS President and Webmaster

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. - quote by Samuel Adams

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 02:52 PM

you had best get a really good filter and good oil as these new engine have drain pan screen problems add a pre-filter to you car as i did even on my 85 jetta diesel the oil stays cleaner and lasts longer.my brother-inlaw has over 30 years with volkswagon and audi.i get alot of tech information from him as to what problems are giong on with the techs.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 02:09 AM

Garage
I don't care to suck out the oil in my cars. Still need to climb underneith to check for parts falling off and all. Might as well just drain it while your under it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode