911 Has anyone seen this before? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by bgtony1, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 879 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Super Enthusiast

911 Has anyone seen this before?

Hi,

I just bought my 3rd addition to my fleet of diesels. An 85 VW n/a diesel golf. I bought it not running knowing it needed work.

My problem is that it needs an injector pump. While diagnosing I noticed some JB weld type epoxy between the no.1 and no.2 injectors at the head gasket. Its at the base of a boss thats for a head bolt. While replacing the injector pump I figured I would replace the water pump too. I stripped everything off to get a closer look at the area.

The kid I bought the car from seemed overwhelmed by the car and gave up. The head had been replaced by the original owner. I was told the (kid) 2nd owner had replaced the solid tappets with hydraulic. He told me he had also replaced the cam at the same time after I questioned him.(Who knows, Sounds unlikely.)

OK The head is obviously a newer style than my 85 block. If my picture link worked you can see the boss sticking out over the edge of the block.
You can also see a large clearance hole that will leak oil if left open.

I have the machining capabilities to seal this area. But this can't the first time this has been done. Does anyone have any ideas? Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tony

2002 DODGE 4WD QUAD CAB 2500, SUNCOAST 47RE W/TRIPLE DISK AND BILLET INPUT SHAFT, F.A.S.S, 2 INCH LEVELING SPACERS, FP,BOOST,PYRO,TRANS GAUGES, 5 INCH STRAIGHT PIPEDon: 10K+miles on B100 18.3mpg (BEST)

2003 TDI GOLF (WIFE'S) 50+ MPG

1985 1.6L n/a diesel GOLF, FULL 3 INCH EXHAUST 45 MPG ON FIRST TANK

66' CHEVELLE SS BB468", TH400, 9" W/LOCKER, MOSER AXLES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 12:14 PM
A mobile wrench

Thumbs down 911

Put an other engine in it, you will be ahead. The kid did not had the knowledge to do decent work, what else been screwed up? Mostlikely the head got internal crack, Head + inj. pump is way above a used engine.
wrench

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode