The Diesel Garage banner

gas mileage

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ScottyB 
#1 ·
I was thinking about buying a turbo diesel jetta, just wondering what kind of gas mileage everyone actually got. I know they dont provide the true gas mileage on the volkswagon website:usflag

#2 ·
Sorry to be the first to do this ta ya but...

A TDI doesnt get gas milage worth a crap, as amatter a fact it wont even run if you put gas in it. :pointlaugh

Now on the other hand if you run it on diesel than I think you can expect high 40's depending on how you drive it.

freeway around 65-70 gives us about 43 or so, if I'm running late or just want to go fast I just squeek out 35.

Just remember Diesel = Fuel milage and Gas = Gas milage. :poke:

:Thumbup:

dan

#6 ·
i have a friend that gets close to 50 on long highway trips
robert

#9 ·
Yup, it depend alot on how you drive. also if its an auto or manual, autos get about 5mpg less. and the year, the new 05.5's get less.

I have a 2000 Jetta manual with an Upsolute stageI chip. I don't drive conservative at all with probably 50/50 highway city driving. I average 43-44 in the summer and 39-40 in the winter. the lowest I think I have got is 36 in the winter. And rarely get below 40 in the summer.

They actually can easily achieve the EPA rated mpg. 50 mpg highway is not that hard at all. there are many people over an www.tdiclub.com that have got 60 mpg (now this is not easy to get, these people are nutts about mpg, but it is posible).

speed is one of the biggest things that can hurt milage. it drops off above 65 mph.
I will note that I just took a trip this weekend of a of total 280 miles. I was not trying for good milage. crusing anywhere from 65 -80 mph, lots of accelerating and slowing down. I got 46.5 mpg. I was pleased with this. If I would have crused steady at 55mph I would have got over 50 mpg.

If you are looking for good milage I would highly recomend a manual 5sp.
When buying ask when the timing belt was done and if all the rollers and water pump were replaced. also ask if the intake manifold has been cleaned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.