VW Dasher Info - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by RColston, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 9096 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Question VW Dasher Info

My son just bought a 1980 VW Dasher diesel 4spd sedan. Just wonderin if any of you gurus has any info on this beast, or where to get some info. Car is overall in good shape, supposedly rebuilt. No Idea on miles as the odo is om=n the fritz.:RTFM: I would if I could find one.... It has the tank and some of the plumbing to run it on WVO, which is our intention after we fix a few minor problems.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 08:06 PM

if you want a slow but mighty tank of a car you can swap the transmission, axles and diffs out of a quantum or dasher syncro right into it and make a AWD diesel vw...
those old vw diesel motors never die as long as you make sure the timing belt doesn't break, if you're not sure when it was last replaced do it now. They even take to simple homemade turbo setups well, making for 120hp of fun haha
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Any idea of where to get parts for a turbo set up
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 03:56 AM

factory turbo VW diesel
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 01:10 AM

GooD Luck with finding a turbo setup, I would keep an eye on EBAY, or there is a good parts website;http://www.vwdieselparts.com/, he has some stuff to convert to a turbo motor. I think i am going to do some custom fabrication for mine and not use a VW turbo, they are for economy not performance.

Cody.

79 KW W900A 3406B, Garrett GT55 turbo, RTO12513,
4.11 SQHP rockwells

79 KW K100C 400BC1, Holset HT4B hybrid, custom
injectors, RTO12513, 4.33 eaton DS380s

00 Freightliner Classic XL C15
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 04:11 AM

re VW dasher

Rick...I'm actually thinking about buying an '80 Dasher as well. If you wouldn't mind giving me some feedback on how your son's is working out, I'd appreciate knowing more about this type of car.

I've owned a Jetta for years and have always been happy with VWs, but this is my first foray into diesel (hoping to drive it with SVO).

Thanks!

Mele
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to shegel
my advice.....check out this website

www.vwdiesel.net

the guys on there can get you pointed in the right direction. and help you find what your looking for. just scroll down because the first few sections are in french.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 03:08 AM

I bought a NEW 1980 Dasher diesel wagon and drove it for 19 years. It had the 1.5ltr diesel and when I wore it out, I installed a new 1.6ltr. It ALWAYS needed a 5th gear as it wound out on the freeway. Being that the engine is inline, a Rabbit trans wouldn't fit. I searched for 6 years and finally found a 1981 Audi 4000S non turbo with the correct ratio 5 spd. Its engine had let go. You can't use a gasser 5 spd as the ratios are too high for the N/A diesel engine. I had to open up the trans tunnel at the back to accecpt the 5th gear hump on the trans. I made up a piece of sheet metal to cover the opening. I was able to put back the center console and no one could tell. WOW did that make a difference on the car!!!
With the 1.5, the best mileage was about 36 hwy. When I put in the 1.6, it went up to 38mpg. With the 5spd, I could run 44mpg hwy at 65-70mph.
I did ALL of my own work on it and I miss that car. It NEVER let me down on the side of the road. I sold it with about 225,000mi on it and bought my first DODGE Cummins powered. By 1980, Vw had worked out alot of the bugs on the car. I bought all of the timing tools for the inj pump and the valve adj tools. If you need any help, PM me or email me at
[email protected]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
I bought a NEW 1980 Dasher diesel wagon and drove it for 19 years. It had the 1.5ltr diesel and when I wore it out, I installed a new 1.6ltr. It ALWAYS needed a 5th gear as it wound out on the freeway. Being that the engine is inline, a Rabbit trans wouldn't fit. I searched for 6 years and finally found a 1981 Audi 4000S non turbo with the correct ratio 5 spd. Its engine had let go. You can't use a gasser 5 spd as the ratios are too high for the N/A diesel engine. I had to open up the trans tunnel at the back to accecpt the 5th gear hump on the trans. I made up a piece of sheet metal to cover the opening. I was able to put back the center console and no one could tell. WOW did that make a difference on the car!!!
With the 1.5, the best mileage was about 36 hwy. When I put in the 1.6, it went up to 38mpg. With the 5spd, I could run 44mpg hwy at 65-70mph.
I did ALL of my own work on it and I miss that car. It NEVER let me down on the side of the road. I sold it with about 225,000mi on it and bought my first DODGE Cummins powered. By 1980, Vw had worked out alot of the bugs on the car. I bought all of the timing tools for the inj pump and the valve adj tools. If you need any help, PM me or email me at
[email protected]
I knew someone who had a Dasher diesel wagon that had the same issue (screaming at high RPMS) when the 1.5 let go pistons were no longer available, so in went a 1.6.
He later complained the 1.6 did not rev nearly as freely as the 1.5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode