Starting A TDI - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Brett, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 1285 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Starting A TDI

We are proud new owners of a 2004 TDI Jetta. I have a starting question. We let the glow plugs heat up until the light goes out, then turn the ignition. On days over 40 degrees F it usually fires right up, but on days in the 20 or 30's degrees F it seems to have a harder time starting. Is this normal? Is it ok, to keep the starter cranking for about 5 seconds? What normal? Should we have it looked at?

Once car is warmed up it starts and drives better than anything we have ever owned, but we are a bit concerned about the cold mornings. It kinda sputters and even smokes a bit. Any help is appreciated.

Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 PM

Congrats to your 04 Jetta! You should check the glow plugs and fuel / air filter. That engine should start right away (within 2 secs) at 32F, running smooth.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 05:29 PM

You really shouldn't have any issues till it starts to drop below 10-15 deg. Then a little longer cranking time is normal. 5 seconds is fine, it won't hurt anything. sometimes you have to hold the starter for a second even after it fires the first time to keep it running (in real cold mornings). Smoke on a cold start is normal. If you are having issues at 20-30 deg. then you might have some glow plug problems. Were are you located? maybe also a fuel problem. We just had a spell of about -18 degrees F, and my car started fine all the time. Whats the coldest you have started it at? also has it ever not started?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks_Starting TDI

From the 2 posts it looks like our Jetta is not starting as best as it should. We are getting such good gas mileage that we still have not burned a full tank yet - I estimate about 45mpg.

Again, on morning starts near the 30's it just will not fire right off. I crank once for about 2 seconds then release and crank again and must hold while the engines begins to fire more steadily. We have not been in near 0 temps yet.

Anymore suggestions would be appreciated. And for the meantime, just to be sure holding the starter down for more than 5 seconds is ok?

I'm thinking we need some service. If so, should we be worried we bought something that's a lemon? Once the car warms up it runs super and starts right off for the rest of the day.

Thanks again for comments.

Brett
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 06:08 AM

What kind of oil are you running make sure your running the right oil, using the wrong oil would cause this problem you discribing.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 10:50 AM

For starters: you could do it an easy way and put a couple of bottles of Standadyne Hot Shots in the tank. Drive it like you stole it and see what happens. Check your owners manual when the diesel fuel filter has been changed. If it was some long time ago, change it. Also check the air filter. The glow plugs are very easy to check, if you have a DC current clamp and a digital multi meter.

Good luck!

BTW: I started my 05 TDI yesterday up without pre-glowing at 30F under 2 seconds. :bow:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for all the other comments. "Drive it like you stole it" Nice quote. We are in Northern Indiana and the temps are still from 20 to 30 F in the morning. We finally ran the tank till the re-fuel light came on and filled up with fresh and it seems a lot better starting now. I'm letting the glow plugs stay about 2seconds longer and now it snaps right off. Still going to check the glow plugs and other filters, but she's rolling nice now. THanks again for all the good comments. I have a quote too. "We are getting such good milelage, that we can not afford to stay home now"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett
I'm letting the glow plugs stay about 2seconds longer and now it snaps right off.
What do you mean? You should be waiting till the light goes off. The temperature determines how long the light stays on.
How old was the fuel in the previous tank? if its starting good now maybe it wasn't blended.
Glow plugs will normally set a CEL when they are bad, it did on mine.
I also agree to check/replace the fuel filter.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

You are right, I was not clear. I meant, when the glow plug light goes out, I wait about two seconds longer before starting. Previously I was starting the engine exactly when the light went out. Now I give it a bit more time to glow.

Not sure how old the fuel was. I guess it was the fuel as it's starting and running nicely.

Brett
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 01:09 AM

Just a question for you Brett, did you (or the previous owner) have the egr valve recall taken care of? We have gotten a tank or two of so-so fuel in ours and it started really rough and blew alot of white smoke. I don't think it is anything to worry too much about. If there is anything you should be aware of on these cars its the egr issue. Just do a little research on the internet so you know what to expect if anything does happen to your car. Nothing to worry about though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode