1984 Volvo 240 GL Diesel - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by volvo240diesel, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 14874 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Smile 1984 Volvo 240 GL Diesel

Well hey, all, I'm new here.

So, about my car...

I bought her on eBay back in September of 2006. She had had one owner, an elderly lady who had kept her waxed and garaged since new; the lady left the car to the Doberman Pinscher Rescue society of Fillmore, CA, in her will; they in turn sold it to me on eBay.

This car has lived its entire life in California, save for the past five months here in Virginia. As stated, the owner had it washed and waxed consistently. Oil + filter changes were done every 2.5k, and timing belt every 65k. The lady kept seat covers on the seats from Day 1, and I've kept them on. The seats underneath are factory-pristine. The paint is smooth and shiny, and there are no dents or dings anywhere.

Here are the specs:

1984 Volvo 240 GL Diesel
VIN: YV1AX7749E1083327
Snow white exterior/tan interior/chrome trim and rims
4-door sedan, seats five passengers
2.4L inline 6-cylinder VW/Audi diesel engine (this IS original to the car--Volvo purchased their diesel engines from Volkswagen)
5-speed manual transmission (4 positions, plus electronic overdrive button for 5th gear)
Has towing hitch
Manual windows, all work perfectly, and manual side mirrors
New big diesel battery
Cruise control
Fog lights
Intermittent/Low/High wipers
Front and rear defrosters
Heater works perfectly
Has A/C, it does blow cold!
Has original working Volvo sound system (4 speakers + AM/FM/Cassette)
No cracks in any of the glass

**MPG: 30 city/45 highway!!!**

I really wanted this car to be better than new, so she's been at a garage which specializes in vintage European cars: Classic Transit, in Stephens City, VA. These are the highlights of the thousands of dollars of work I've had them put into it, all in the past three weeks:

* All new glow plugs
* All new tires (with whitewalls, very classic look!)
* Sent injection pump to a diesel engine shop for a full, professional rebuild
* New engine wiring harness
* New antifreeze seals
* New starter motor (Bosch OEM)
* New overdrive solenoid
* Flushed brake system
* New windshield washer fluid tubing

She has zero problems of any kind, looks like a showroom piece, starts and drives better than new.

I've attached only a few pictures so far: more are on the way! The pictures of the engine were taken by me back in December. The other two pictures--the picture of the front end and of the dash area--are NOT of this car; those are stock photos of the Euro edition...I included them just so you can have an idea of what this car looks like until I can take actual photos tomorrow; they do show, however, the correct colors. If you want a photo, or close-up, of anything specific, just ask and I'll be happy to take it with my digital.

She has only 100535 miles on her--and will, no doubt, live up the diesels' reputation of 400000 or even more. I've put all the money into replacing the old parts--the rubber parts, and the parts that give you problems after 20 years or so. This car turns a lot of heads. She has a very classic, stately, dignified, elegant look to her.

There are no leaks, and there is no unsightly dirt or excessive residue. Everything is perfectly clean. This car has no rust, the glass has no cracks, the seats have no tears. All the gauges and dials (odometer, speedometer, fuel gauge, temperature gauge, and clock) work without fault. All the lights, internal, external, and dash, work fine.

This car's emissions-control system, EGR valve and all, is working perfectly. It does not smoke, not even on start-up or acceleration.

The car has all its original sales materials (original window sticker, owner's manuals, bill of sale, original service records, etc.). All locks work, as does the central locking system. The trunk in this thing is--as was the case with the larger, classic cars--about half the size of Montana. You can fit sooooo much cargo in there. Nothing is cracked or warped or discolored or wrinkled. The car seats five comfortably, with seatbelts for all. There is a fold-down armrest in the back seat; in addition, there is plenty of leg-room and head-room. The front seats are adjustable, and the driver's side has adjustable lumbar support. The floor is carpeted, and the cloth seats are very smooth and comfortable. There is a spare tire with jack included.

The clutch, which is very easy on the knee, is as smooth as butter. All the gears shift smoothly. The brakes stop you on a dime. The e-brake is good and tight. The engine shuts right down when you turn the key off. It's very quick off the line, and also very quick to accelerate. It's not sluggish in any way.

(I was, at one point, going to sell it on eBay, due to finances; that was the text from the auction).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 10:38 AM

Nice looking car. I love the diesel cars as well. Chris

I'm a little more country than that...

2011 F-350 Extended Cab Short Box Lariat

SOLD
2004 F350 Regular Cab Long Box XLT; FX4, 6.0L and TorqShift; Manual Transfer Case and Hubs; Dark Shadow Grey Metallic; Keyless Entry; Factory Idle Control; 8 1/2' Fisher MMII; Factory 18" Wheels painted black with 305/70R18 Mickey Thompson ATZ's in the summer and XL Steel Wheels painted Black with 285/75R16 ProComp A/T's in the Winter; Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Kit; Isspro Pyrometer, Boost, and Transmission Temperature Gauges in an Overhead Pod; SCT by Innovative Diesel; Innovative Moderate FICM Tune; ARP Head Studs; '03 Turbo screaming through a 4" Turbo Back 409 MBRP System with both Deletes and 6" Tip.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Here's a pic I took back in December. I'll post some interior/exterior shots soon.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:05 AM

Hey guys, I got word from Pierce that the engine in this car, after having the timing belt changed, less than a month later the new belt broke, and his engine is trashed.

Does anyone have one of these engines they'd let go for cheap?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Well if the shop did not use an OE Volvo belt, that definately can happen. But the most common thing is that when the front belt is changed they fail to replace the waterpump o-ring (you adjust the belt tension by pivoting the water pump), and they leak. This waters down the belt, and it does not necessarily "Break" but skips a tooth or two, and WHAMO! The engine is junk.

I am VERY VERY sorry to hear of the tragic luck. That is one of the nicest Volvo diesels I have EVER seen, and I have worked on dozens and owned two.

Let this be a lesson to ALL: If it's not broken, DON'T FIX IT!

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 01:31 AM

There is a guy on the TDIForum that put a VW turbo diesel 4 cylinder in one.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

Cool!

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 06:04 PM

so is this car for sale ?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 09:25 PM

anybody know thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode