Looking to buy a TDI, help me learn - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by MRose, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 1065 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Question Looking to buy a TDI, help me learn

The wife wants to get rid of her gas Jetta and get a TDI. I know with my Cummins theres alot to learn before you buy. So what years, options, etc? I will be doing injectors and chip and have been told the AT is stronger than the 5spd. Help! Thank you:shrug:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 03:09 PM
TDG Member Since 2004?

Garage
Hi,

Some things I learned from my search:

Last year for TDI is 2006.
MT gets about 4 more MPG than AT.
AT cars have an 11mm pump which have been known to crack sometimes in high output situations. MT cars have a 10mm pump. Don't know what years this applies to though, sorry.
Even stock, I think it has a nice amount of power.
They're kinda hard to find and command a premium price.
The're really fun!

Again, all of this from personal experience.

-Evan

2000 Ford F250, Merillion, 6sp, AIC, DPTuner, BB turbo, Adreneline pump, modified IDM.

1998 Mercedes E300, Custom injector nozzles, soon to have Eaton M90 supercharger, 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 turbo and a full custom intake and exhaust system = 400HP from 3.0l
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 02:57 AM

read this thread: https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...ad.php?t=38381

Also there is for one year only model 2005 a 134hp 2.0L pump duse TDI exclusive for the Passat.
03 and earlier 1.9L TDI's have a Bosch VE injector pump and there is not too much to worry about them.
From 04 on the 1.9L are pump duse. Now with the pump duse you gotta be careful with the engine oil (it needs special engine oil). If the owner didn't change the oil with the 505 01 stuff and used the older stuff, I wouldn't buy it, unless you get it for a real good deal to offset the cost for a new cam shaft. Pump duse engines are very iffy about the lube... and there were already peeps that used wrong engine oil and needed a new cam after 130k due to missfire on cyl 1. Other than that, if she is maintained well with the propper stuff, she is nothing to worry about either.

Happy reading!:deal: :smoke
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 12:43 PM

Go here:

http://www.tdiclub.com/

all the info you need...bd
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 12:44 AM

My wife drives an 06 Jetta TDI. Yes it is a bit suprising how pepy that lil 90horse 4cyl is. and at 40mpg cant go wrong. Yes the manual gear box does get a lil better mileage but dang your getting 40 mpg. I say if you can find one get it. I got a flier in the mail from the dealership that i bought mine from and they wanted to buy mine back and get me in a new one. They claim that their used TDI inventory is depleted and were ready to make me good deal on a new one. I said kiss my.... you know. And about that special 505.01 motor oil, I guess its a big deal cause under the hood and in the owners manual it states that if that oil is not used severe engine damage and injury/death could occurr at highway speeds. Im not kidding thats what it says.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 05:01 AM

I have a 2006 tdi jetta,you cant go wrong.just go find one and you'll be very happy.Im a big guy 6'3" 347lbs and love my jetta.my tdi jetta for mpg and my powerstroke for play!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode