Looking for a VW TDI - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 24valve sledpuller, this thread has received 18 replies and been viewed 1496 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Looking for a VW TDI

First off I've only been looking at Jetta's and Passat's, Second, I don't know that much about them but I been lookin for places to learn more. I've been looking at anything from back in 98 or 99 when the bodies changed to the rounder style to the brand new 06. Are there any major changes in the cars in those years like engines or trannys, I kinda like the new 6spd tiptronic but have yet to drive any of them. Next, do any years or models seem to get better fuel mileage than another, I have heard the the newer you get the worse the mileage because of emmisons crap. I have read about the timing belt but is there any other quirks to the cars that could cause problems. TIA and if anyone is looking for a 99 Durango I will have one for sale when I find a VW I want :thanks:

y2k Dodge 2500 4x4 QC LB 6spd with some parts from Enterprise engine, Haisley Machine, and sponsered by R&S Performance in Townville Pa. :bow:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 02:08 PM

99-03 have a 90 HP TDI motor, and those do not have the triptronic. The 04's and OBS 05's have a new PD motor. This motor takes a special oil, and if you are buying used, you might want to make sure it was used. The new triptronic is available in 04-06 cars.. In 05.5 is when the body style changed.

The new stle is a bit larger and a bit heavier... And most do not see 50MPG that the older cars have seen... I have 800 miles on my 06 and my first tank was 39.5mpg and the second tank was 44.7 mpg, both hand calculated... I have a manual...

The triptronic, or dsg tranny does not have a torque converter, it has a dual clutch system that does not eat up power, or fuel milage. The window stickers on the 06's say the the DSG gets 1 mpg better fuel mileage on the higway, and would be due to the extra gear in the auto... But my friend with one has not seen 40 mpg with the auto yet in over 1400 miles...

I am not a vw guy, but I have been reding a lot since ordering mine.... and someone might correct me on some years or tranny issues...

B
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 02:30 PM

A Jetta with a 5 spd is the ticket for mileage but prices are through the roof on TDI's right now so don't expect any deals. The plus side to used TDI is most owners are OCD about maintaining them. The clutched are very weak from the factory so be sure to do a thorough test drive.

I had 3 messages in 2 hours Saturday (that I still haven't returned) on mine and its priced $400 more than what I paid for it new with a big fat FIRM next to it! I'm going to pull it off the market today because it just doesn't make sense to replace it with something less efficient at the moment like a Cummins truck.

Good luck and chip it when you get it.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Loves Jet Noise

Send a message via Yahoo to NoWake200
I just stoped at the VW dealer the other day was asking about the TDI. They did not have any on hand and they told me it would take 3-5months if we are to order one. It is too bad that these engines are on the lots ready for the public.

TWA

2011 F-350 Lariat, 6.7 PowerStroke, Crew Cab, Short Bed, White with 20" Wheels.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

thanks for the info, how is the back seat legroom is there enough room for an adult on a longer trip. :thanks:

y2k Dodge 2500 4x4 QC LB 6spd with some parts from Enterprise engine, Haisley Machine, and sponsered by R&S Performance in Townville Pa. :bow:
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 11:18 PM

Not if you have the front seat all the way back... Im 6' 3" and I can be OK back there if there is a 5'5" person in front....

But My wife sites behind me and the chid seat is on the other side, and she is OK...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

that don't sound too bad for a little car. Boy sure ain't any deals out there on new or used :shrug:

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:45 PM

I can get you a new one for invoice... But used are up there!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 03:27 AM

what a new passat go for??? how old of a jetta or passat can i chip and put injectors in??
robert
out
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldiesels
what a new passat go for??? how old of a jetta or passat can i chip and put injectors in??
robert
out
The 06's are totally redesigned (I personally don't like them) and TDI-free meaning no diesel option as of yet and the one I saw with leather was $30K.

They can keep it.

All TDI prices are HIGH right now but they will drop once gas/diesel drops again. Buy one once fuel drops though fuel costs are going to keep spiking IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode