300d performance? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by kdouze, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 16523 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

300d performance?

hey all, im new to the site and was wondering what can be done to a 300d?

my dad bought a 79 300d turbo a while back and drove it forever until he found an 84 with about 100k miles it now has over 200k and the odometer stopped working but the car refuses to quit. my brother drives it now as my dad was tired of the lack of modern creature comforts and lack of power from a diesel.

i love the 300d, and the fact that they can go for over a million miles is awesome, but what about tuning them? i know you can put a 4-speed standard tranny from a 240d but thats really where what i know ends. i like cars, especially diesel cars and was considering dropping a 300d into a datsun 240z eventually, but for now id like to make a fun, reliable, great mpg 300d that could be a daily driver and commuter.

so what kind of performance upgrades can be done to a 300d?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 04:44 AM

First thing would be to make sure that the car is running as it should. Make sure the valves are adjusted, timing is set correctly, get the injectors pop and pattern tested. If you really want to make sure all is right, you might want to pull the IP and have it tested and adjusted to spec. A 23 year old IP is probably in need of some work.

Next thing would be a Pyro and a boost gauge. Check to make sure your boost is at about 10 PSI. If you have done all of the above the car should be good for about 100WHP and a 0 to 60 time of 13.5 seconds or so assuming you have the 3.46 rear end. They did have a 2.88 avaialble back then too. If you have to switch rearend ratios, you'll need a matching speedometer.

Don't waste your time with a 4 speed manual swap, unless you are doing it for MPG. As far as performance will go an auto will out perform the manual.

An 84 turbo has an MW pump. There are a couple things that can be done with that. One is to turn up the full load screw and the other is to remove the rack limiter.

Once you've done that you will need to up the boost by adjusting the wastegate or adding a mechincal boost fooler. 15 PSI is about it for the factory T-3 which is a 45 trim I believe. You can get a 50 or 55 trim T-3 from a 300SD or an SVO Mustang to get a little more air flow. 20 PSI is about the limit without upgrading the head bolts to head studs. You'll also want to work on getting an intercooler in there.

After you've upped the fuel, added the intercooler, and added boost you MIGHT see 130WHP. More realistic would be about 120HP.

Power adders? Water/Meth was tested on a couple Turbo 300D's and it netted 1 to 2 hp. Propane, risky but doable. Nitrous, but what's the old saying about lipstick and a pig?

There is talk about injector internals from later model diesels in the OM617 engine. That may add some power, but as of yet I don't know if anyone has tried it.

You can order a Myna M-Pump from a company in the Netherlands, but that will set you back about $2K. I have seen the benefit from that. There is a guy with Myna pumped om617 and he put down 150HP with an otherwise stock 300D with his boost turned up to 17psi. He now needs more turbo and an intercooler and I believe he could be up around 200WHP.

Much over 150WHP and you have to start thinking about transmission failure. But the trick will be to get to 150WHP first.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 03:12 AM

On a 300D turbo, You can adjust the ALDA on top of the inj pump and wake it up pretty good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode