May be cashing in my truck - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by hopeful 6.0, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 1059 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

May be cashing in my truck

Due to the rising fuel prices, I may no longer be able to justify using my truck as daily driver. I am considering a VW Jetta TDI. Any thoughts on years to avoid, standard vs. manual, VIN checks, etc?

Never thought I'd see the day but have no need for the big beast anymore:shrug:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Banned

Your not alone in your thoughts. I have thought that too. If I could find a way to still be able to get my Challenger to the strip to race without having to have my truck I would most likely dump it to.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 08:25 PM

This is EXACTLY why I bought a $1500 Mercedes Diesel. The truck sits unless I ABSOLUTELY need a truck.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful 6.0
Due to the rising fuel prices, I may no longer be able to justify using my truck as daily driver. I am considering a VW Jetta TDI. Any thoughts on years to avoid, standard vs. manual, VIN checks, etc?

Never thought I'd see the day but have no need for the big beast anymore:shrug:
that all depends on what model year TDI you get. PD TDI's I'd buy new or with propper dealer servicing records only (camshaft wear due to using wrong oil). :
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 08:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to shegel
mk1 mk2, and early mk3's were idi diesels. some had turbos some didnt. either way the mk1 mk2 cars are lighter. i believe that they easier to tune and build up for more power. i have a mk2 golf diesel that gets between 45 and 50 miles per gallon. it is non turbo and is rather slow but i drive about 100 miles a day. with the money left over from your truck you could have your self one nice vw that will turn heads and get excelent milage to boot
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the info. At this point, the best thing to do is continue to research and find the right car. Apparently, the VW Jetta can be tempermental and prior proper maintanance is crucial.

Do you think I'll have trouble trading my truck at a dealer with straight pipe and no muffler/cat?
Also, should I leave the Edge sitting on the dash or will that turn up their nose?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 03:05 AM

I have had my jetta fo 8 months now and wish I had got one long time ago . I drive around 80-100 miles everyday in the jetta and love the hell out of it. I was driving a f-150 everyday but it was killing me in gas so I traded it in on the vw. I only drive my powerstoke on the weekend or on fridays to work .

Lonnie
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 05:27 PM

Good luck finding a VW TDI (or a Prius, Taris, or Insight) for any reasonable price. Those cars demand a steep premium these days.

In any case, buy a manual transmission version. Automatics for these little cars are even more fuel-wasteful than on a Super Duty. Typically for these little cars the automatic penalty is 8 MPG.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 04:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to shegel
there are tons of tdi's here and a lot are relativly cheap too. my suggestiuon is tofind an early mk3 or a late mk2 the idi cars are wayyy easier to work on than the tdi's and they get just as good milage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode