Be Nice - Rookie TDI questions - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by JohnBoyToo, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 884 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Obviously Intuitive !

Be Nice - Rookie TDI questions

The lady and I test drove an 06 Jetta TDI tonight and need to know what they are like...

Understand - she's coming out of a NICE Lincoln LS V8,
but our first impression of the TDI where:
suprisingly quiet
little stiff on the ride
but nice....

4 door - 6 speed tiptronic auto - pleather - sunroof - heated seats, splash guards.... rated @ 42 Hiway....

list for like 24900 and he said 23900 first cut....
told him I first had to come ask "youse guys" and ya'll too

What's the story on them ?

The Wife liked it...

02/12 f250 CC SB Lariat Ultimate 4x4
dpf filter back mbrp and airlift airbags

05/05 4x4 EB Excursion -gone but not forgotten SCT enabled 1/8th 8.9 seconds....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 08:20 PM

I don't know anything about the new auto that they have. I was looking at Edmunds.com the other day and noticed there isn't a whole lot of mark-up in Jetta's comparing invoice to MSRP.

My gut feeling is fuel is going to return to $3 per gallon before summer which will drive these TDI's to command 'over sticker' pricing again.

My opinion is go for leather vs pleather when it comes to resale but that's up to you.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 11:10 PM

Andy has it right in my opinion. With leater (package 2) you get a bunch of computer stuff, and its not much more. Word is the auto will get better fuel milage on the Highway, due to the higher 6th gear. But city driving the auto will get into the 30's where the manual can keep you in the 40's...

I average 43 with the stick... but the winter has ulled me down quite a bit... 47-49 hand calculated is not out of the realm at 70 mph on a long trip... Speed does not effect my fuel milage that much ( not like the truck)

I love mine.... but its not a lincoln...
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 11:45 PM

Being geeked up on cetane booster gives me +4 mpg @ 85 with the A/C and cruise on.

Even with my mods I'm in the upper 30's @ 81 with the A/C and cruise on.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISurvivedNMU
I average 43 with the stick... but the winter has ulled me down quite a bit... 47-49 hand calculated is not out of the realm at 70 mph on a long trip... Speed does not effect my fuel milage that much ( not like the truck)
Please allow me to clarify:

Actually, an increase in speed has EXACTLY the same net affect on economy on both a Golf/Jetta/Beetle TDI and a F350 PSD or a 9900i at 80,000#.

The calculation for air drag is 1/2(Cd) x (area) x V^2.

Since we do not change the Cd, or area, it can be said that the air drag is related to the SQUARE of the speed (velocity).

For a given vehicle at 55 MPH, V^2 = 3025. Now at 65 V^2 = 4225, a change of 30% GREATER drag, with a 15% increase in velocity.

Another way to think of this is that for every 10% increase in speed, you increase drag twice that, or about 20%.

Of course, this does NOT take into account economy differences due to engine RPM, and that can be HUGE. Which I think is what he ment.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode