TDi Mileage - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by BpJack, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 780 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

TDi Mileage

This is for all the TDi gurus out there....

My dad has 98 VW TDi GL 5spd. Here recently his mileage and power (completely stock car) dropped of dramatically. It could barely move itself and was getting around 20mpg. Checked everything and mechanically it was fine, but the computer was shot. Sent it off and got it back and it helped it out a little bit. Sent it off again, and it did a little better. After a while of just driving it things are about back to normal. Mileage back in the 40's and feels like it did when he bought it.

Now he has a 70ish mile drive to work with about 60 miles of non-stop highway traffic. Driving at 70 on the freeway and shifting at about 2500rpms, he can squeze 48mpg out of it. If he speeds up to 75, mileage drops to 44 and at 80 it goes to about 40-42. He says mileage is still a little low :shrug: but not nearly as bad as it was.

Has anyone experienced similar problems or have any ideas that could revive the old thing? (He bought the car in 2002 w/ 40k miles and he now has 180k miles on it)

thanx for the help in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Supporting Vendor

BpJack,

The only time I can think that my TDI lost mpg was when we discovered we got ahold of some bad fuel and the fuel filter was really dirty. We also always use some kind of fuel additive after each fill-up. I maintain 45 mpg with in town driving mostly.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:18 PM

Do those have issues with intake cloging like the new ones?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISurvivedNMU
Do those have issues with intake cloging like the new ones?
He's done checked that. That was my first guess. For all I know it could just be winter fuel, but he keeps telling me something's still not right. And with as much as he has driven the car the past few years, I don't doubt him.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 07:55 AM

Dirty Pierburg MAF syndrome!! Remove the MAF from the airbox and hose it out with a can of carb cleaner. 9 times out of 10 this is the problem on 1st gen TDi's. Very easy inexpensive place to start. To answer the other question, yes, early TDi's have the same intake clogging problems as the newer ones. I made a block off plate for the 2 ends of the EGR tube and simply blocked it off. No side effects have been noted in 40k miles other than a clean intake!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode