What to expect to pay on a new Jetta - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Smashed Ixnay, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 4429 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

What to expect to pay on a new Jetta

I don't even know what MY (2010/2011) is out on the Jetta right now. My girlfriend finally finished Nursing school and will be an RN on May 13th. She currently has a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am with 108k miles. For the most part it's still decent, but she insist she needs a new car. I have no problem with it, so we are going to start shopping soon. Car must be an auto with sunroof. Just wondering what to expect to pay for one. We are going to try to do it before June 30th (think that's the date) so we can get the $1,300 diesel tax credit thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 02:16 AM

The jettas are great to drive and everything. but the maintenance is so expensive on them... I had one for 2 years and spent almost as much as I paid for it fixing it... If you guys get one go by the rule book on everything or you will be sorry! good luck on your search
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 02:28 AM
Official blowy uppy guy.

If you can, look for a used one with the blue LED dashboard. The newest ones are actually lower in quality (or so a buddy who works at the VW dealerships says). I have a 2008 2.0T Wolfzburg that my dad and I got for 14k$ with 15000 miles on it. Looked brand spankin new too.

1999 F250 Triton 415 Gasser
10 strokin 4 smokin
#7 WALNUT member
#4 American club member
#200 Singles club member
#0 Lifted club member

Running Every Redlight On Memory Lane

Ask me about the new club!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 12:58 PM

Garage
Maintance is pricey for sure, especially if you use the dealer. I suggest useing the dealer for their free schedueled maintance then finding a guru to care for the car after that, unless you plan on doing the work yourself. If you maintain it yourself it is really not that expensive. About the most expensive service I can think of is the trans. Usually runs around $400 and needs to be completed every 40,000 miles. Oil changes are for the first two at 5000 mile increaments then 10000 after that. What you pay for in maintance you more than make up in MPG. For a list of gurus by state I suggest you check out tdiclub.com here's a link to the guru by state section: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044. And as lil-miss-diesel stated do the maintance by the book, VW is notorious for being difficult about warranting items they believe to not have been maintained. Keep all reciepts! Good luck and make sure you look over at tdiclub for more info.

Edit: Forgot about your original question, price. That depends on supply and demand really, some dealers will ask a premium and some are willing to deal. Also options are a huge factor in price, I like options. But with sunroof and DSG (autotrans) I suspect your looking around $25,000 maybe less.

Jason

Last edited by D-Cell_Mekanick; 05-01-2010 at 01:06 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-miss-diesel View Post
The jettas are great to drive and everything. but the maintenance is so expensive on them... I had one for 2 years and spent almost as much as I paid for it fixing it... If you guys get one go by the rule book on everything or you will be sorry! good luck on your search
Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to go to the book then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
If you can, look for a used one with the blue LED dashboard. The newest ones are actually lower in quality (or so a buddy who works at the VW dealerships says). I have a 2008 2.0T Wolfzburg that my dad and I got for 14k$ with 15000 miles on it. Looked brand spankin new too.
My girlfriend doesn't want a used car because she says she doesn't know what is wrong with he car, therefore, she wants a new one. This way if any problems happen with the car it happens under us.

My sister had an 05 Jetta 2.5L, which was nice, but had problems with the tranny at around 109k miles. She traded it in for an 08 Passat 2.0L (gasser I think). Pretty sure it's turbo charged and it's pretty nice, but my sister wishes it was a diesel after her friend traded in their 2 BMW 3 series cars for Jetta TDI's.

She always wanted an Altima, but at the same time she wants something tha gets good mileage and the Altima isn't much of an upgrade over her Grand Am. I sorta talked her into a diesel, which is only VW or BMW. We're not looking to spend $40k+, so VW Jetta it is. I'm gonna have her look around at some used ones and maybe she'll change her mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Cell_Mekanick View Post
Maintance is pricey for sure, especially if you use the dealer. I suggest useing the dealer for their free schedueled maintance then finding a guru to care for the car after that, unless you plan on doing the work yourself. If you maintain it yourself it is really not that expensive. About the most expensive service I can think of is the trans. Usually runs around $400 and needs to be completed every 40,000 miles. Oil changes are for the first two at 5000 mile increaments then 10000 after that. What you pay for in maintance you more than make up in MPG. For a list of gurus by state I suggest you check out tdiclub.com here's a link to the guru by state section: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044. And as lil-miss-diesel stated do the maintance by the book, VW is notorious for being difficult about warranting items they believe to not have been maintained. Keep all reciepts! Good luck and make sure you look over at tdiclub for more info.

Edit: Forgot about your original question, price. That depends on supply and demand really, some dealers will ask a premium and some are willing to deal. Also options are a huge factor in price, I like options. But with sunroof and DSG (autotrans) I suspect your looking around $25,000 maybe less.

Jason

We'll definitely go by the book. 10k oil changes sounds nice! I'll check out the list of guru's and hopefully someone is near us. I'll make sure to keep all receipts in case anything happens. We still need to start looking around to see if there are any on the lots. About 2 months ago when we went with my sister to get her Passat there wasn't even a used one at the Tampa VW dealer. ;( The Orlando is same distance as the Tampa one for us, and if none of those have one we can make the 2 hour drive to Gainesville ( think there is a dealer there) to see what they have. I'll just make sure to call before we go though, lol.

Thanks guys, and LMD.

EDIT:

theTDIGuy is in Apopka, which is only 45mins - 1 hour drive from me. I seen some of his work on dieselplace.com and been wanting to see what he has to offer. Might have to give him a shout if we ever need work! Awesome!

Last edited by Smashed Ixnay; 05-01-2010 at 06:23 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

We bought the car.... 2010 Jetta TDI $25,999. Sticker price was $27,252 or something like that. 5.05% for 60 months. We both had never bought a car on our own, so don't know how well I did. I'm sure it probably could have been less, but I'm not a smooth talker. I told her we were going just to look and I think that was a mistake, lol. I don't mind buying it, but once she test drove it she was sold.

We upgraded the warranty thing on it from 3 year/36,000 bumper to bumper to 5 year/60,000 bumper to bumper for like $30 more per month. It covers all the maintance and stuff for the first 60k miles. We can cancel that if it's not worth it, but at the moment I figured it was ok to do since the oil changes were $99.95 every 10k miles. Also if we have problems before than we'll be covered.

Last edited by Smashed Ixnay; 05-07-2010 at 01:50 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 02:38 AM

Garage
Congrats on the new purchase. Wish you many good years of dieseling!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Been real busy and will be this weekend. Will try to get some pics soon.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 02:50 AM

Garage
Very nice! I like the wheels. Are the windows tinted? They look like it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yea, windows came tinted from the dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode