T444E IH sputtering and blowing White smoke. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Rough and Wretched, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 1515 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

T444E IH sputtering and blowing White smoke.

Hi folks, I am not much of a mechanic. I'm a rock Drummer. Unfortunately that means usually broke so Fixing ain't a choice. And to be honest beating the hell out of stuff with sticks and mechanics don't really mix Lol...

Anyway to the topic at hand. A friend called me for help cause he has a 1999 T444E international cube Truck and he has an interesting problem. He called me cause International is offering their Servicemaxx software free so I ordered a cable to enable me to make changes to governor and cruise in an IH bus I use for the band.

On to his problem it's a 99 T444E manual tranny. It start good. it idles well. No codes. Did the sensor test and injector test. all looks good. But when you accelerate hard parked or driving. It seems to accelerate good to about 12 to 1500 RPM then it begins to sputter and blow a large cloud of white blueish smoke up to about 2000 RPM Then accelerates to the governor and sits there just fine. This sputtering and white smoke only happens through the center, during acceleration, under load. I watched and compared the desired injector pressure and actual injector pressure through acceleration and it matches. There is variance but it's higher or lower sputters the same either way.

Odd **** I did find Is the engine temp has to get to 80 degrees Celsius to run the KOER tests. It took a little long to get there and after the test it had dropped back into the 78 range. After idling over an hour, the software was showing 80 degrees and I verified that by easily holding my hand on the valve cover and the rad hose. Even Driving it the temp never got above 92. another odd thing was voltage never got higher than 13.2V and that was only during deceleration or idling. Voltage actually drops to as low as 12.4v during acceleration and sits at about 12.6 12.7 volts at cruising.

I may be wrong but I assume the temp is a leaky or stuck open thermostat and I'm guessing it probably needs a new alternator. But neither increasing the temp during the drive or the lowest voltage being at the top end when the engine was through the sputtering phase seems to correspond with the issue. We also cracked the drain on the fuel filter and found no trace of water in the fuel. It also isn't going through antifreeze. This is an issue that has been going on for a long time,

Anyone have an idea cause I'm out of em. I'm not a mechanic so my assumptions are no more than useless opinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 01:16 AM

Well, I know very little about 444E motors.
Can you check if the MAP sensor is reading right against a boost gauge?
Does this have a MAF? If yes, what happens with it unplugged? Can you see the gr/s readings and do they climb logically while reving/accelerating?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Now that is the trick. All I have is the international servicemaxx software. turbo boost pressure is tracked and climbed as the acceleration did. As far as Map or Maf sensors. When I said I wasn't a mechanic I wasn't pulling your leg. I've heard of MAP but i have no clue what those are what they mean or what they are for. All I can tell you about sensors is the according to the Diagnostic software The KOEO and KOER tests apparently cycle each sensor through min to maximum and report any issue. There were no active codes before the tests. No codes that the tests showed and no codes on the drive we took. I kept the computer on and hooked up during the entire hour long drive to see if I could see anything that seemed to be odd. something anything that would drop or climb just before the sputter and return to normal just before it cleared up. The bad part is this vehicle is located about 45 miles from where I live. I just did a search on 99 T444E MAF and only found a link to some kind of after market fuel pressure booster. With that I have to assume it doesn't have MAF Other than the software sensor diagnostic I have no way to check the MAP sensor.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I just didn't figure this is a one off issue considering how long these engines have been out. If it smoked all the way though or all through acceleration or at the top end I'd have a clue But I've never seen anything like this and with no codes and even diagnostic software coming up empty I'm lost. perhaps someone in the 7.3 Ford forums have run into this but I didn't post there cause it's an IH problem not a Ford. Some folks get a tad miffed when you post to the wrong thread for the brand.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

OK folks Issue never got straightened out and the truck went to Ontario so it's no longer my concern. But I'll leave the post up in case someone has a fix for someone else that has this issue.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the update.
We get so many posts where we wonder "what happened?"

There is an acronym post here...somwhere.
MAP=Manifold Air Pressure, boost sensor.
MAF=Mass Air Flow, probe or grid in the intake, usually near the filter, measures airflow,expensive on some vehicles.

As for where you posted it, the folks on here don't get to jacked up over the small stuff.
Most that would've happened is a Mod would've moved it.
Now if you had posted it in both and added a second "hey, help me" one 2 days later..............
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

No thank necessary. I'm not like that. It shows no gratitude or respect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode