The Diesel Garage banner

2 Stroke Oil as a Diesel Additive

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  kblackav8or 
#1 ·
2 Stroke Oil as a cold weather diesel fuel additive???

Have any of you heard of this? A buddy said he saw it on a sit and some guys are swearing by it.

He has a 04 GMC 3500 diesel 4 door 4x4 short bed 5 inch MBRP Bully Dog Extreme…how do you think we will match up?

Thanks

#2 ·
Maybe as a lubricity additive, but I don't think there's anything in it to prevent gelling.

I'd use ATF before I'd go that route, but again it's not going to help with gelling.

#4 ·
diesel kleen is cheaper lol

#5 ·
I was just wondering fellas...This is my first Diesel and it sounds to me like every rod has been thown when its cold, summer or winter. I know its normal but if it could be helped...I would do it.

#6 ·
444turbodiesel said:
Maybe as a lubricity additive, but I don't think there's anything in it to prevent gelling.

I'd use ATF before I'd go that route, but again it's not going to help with gelling.
Ditto, as a lubricity additive because the oil is ashless.

But outboard oil will not help you with cold diesel properties.

#7 ·
Synthetic 2 stroke oil is quite good these days. It is also designed to burn. ATF is not designed to burn. I think ATF to a great extent is an old wives tale. ATF isn't designed as an anti-gell for diesel either. 2 stroke oil is designed to lubricate at pretty low ratios and does a nice job of it. Also acts as a nice fuel stabilizer. A designed diesel additive is probably the right answer to do everything.

#8 ·
crappace said:
I was just wondering fellas...This is my first Diesel and it sounds to me like every rod has been thown when its cold, summer or winter. I know its normal but if it could be helped...I would do it.
Sounds pretty normal for a cold engine. If it runs quiet and smooth after a half hour of running and being up to temp, it is fine. Some engines are better then others about clatter. There could be other issues that add to the noise when cold. Making sure you have a clean and properly operating fuel delivery system has something to do with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.