diesel work in a carburetor? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by smootboy5, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 17497 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

diesel work in a carburetor?

I have got a question, would diesel work in a carburetor? Is the diesel light enough to get sucked up thru the jet? because ive been told and seen diesel is a heavier liquid than gasoline. would it work effectively?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 11:47 PM
what's egt mean ??

i fail to see why you would ever run diesel thru a carburetor, since a diesel is a compression ignition motor that relies on the timing of the fuel injection to time the combustion event.
if the fuel/air was mixed in a carb and sent thru the intake valve, there is no way of controlling the ignition timing and you run the risk of the fuel igniting too early and that is very damaging to the bearings and could even crack a piston.. just like running the timing too far advanced on a gasser, or running too high a compression on a gasser you have "preignition" or "detonation" which is harmful..

there are NO diesel engines that have carburetors, but this is not because the diesel would not mix properly, it's because a diesel engine is throttled by fuel, and timed by fuel...
not throttled by air like a gasser.

in a gasser you throttle it by letting in more air, and this in turn draws the appropriate amount of fuel thru the carb (in theory to maintain stoichiometric)

in a diesel you throttle it by injecting more fuel, and this in turns burns whatever air is available (no such thing as too lean) and in a turbo diesel this spools the turbo and it automatically adds air as needed

hope this helps

2004 6oh...
relatively speaking, it's pretty stock.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 01:04 AM
Grumpy Old Member

:iagree:
The answer as to will diesel flow through a carburetor, the answer is yes. I've had many customer fill their gasser with diesel and it flows ok. One big problem, Gassers don't run on Diesel, you end up with a well lubricated intake system and seriously fouled spark plugs. laugh

John
Singles Club Member 100
In loving memory (86 F250 6.9 non turbo, 4 spd, 457,000 miles)

SAM HOUSTON KNEW HOW TO HANDLE THE PROBLEM OF ILLEGAL IMIGRANTS,,,JUST ASK SANTA ANNA
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher

I did see one gas motor got complety damaged from diesel fuel that engine if i recall it was a 390 CID Y block set up the reason why it got damged because there were a bit of carbon on top of piston and that really lit it off pretty good like glow plug and sparkplug take care of rest of it.

sure it will smoke like sonvagunner but you may never able turn off the gas engine by shutting off the ingtion soruce you have really have to cut off fuel or air flow to kill it.

Merci , Marc
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 02:49 AM

I have run 50/50 gas diesel. better fuel mileage, hard to start at about 50F, has a run on dendency above 70F.
I lived one summer in a gravel pit at 9500 ft elevation - town was just about a whole tank for a round trip which did not leave any for hunting - but there was a diesel nurse tank at the pit so I started with a gallon and gradually got to filling the tank when coming back from town and filling with gas in town.
Below 30F it generally took a whip of either to get it to stumble to life and 4-5 min to start pulling.

It was a 65 Wagoneer with a 230 6 and there was no extra maint other than to clean the plugs, it had points and the plugs usually ran over 15k, about the same as the points, but before pulling the camper over Wolf Creek Pass when it was 2 lane I pulled one to check and then cleaned them about 10k on them.

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Fire App. Mech.

Yes, it will run a nice old slow low compression engine but as you noticed it is hard to get it to spark ignite when the engine is cold. Anything more modern than the 65 Jeep and it will start to detonate after being fired by the spark plug if it does not detonate on compression alone, and probably damage the engine. But there were plenty of old time tractor engines that would run on Kerosene when running but gasoline to start or stop, through the carburetor, not like an old International start on gas system.

Birken
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:08 AM

I have run 5 different dual fuel engines, from maintainer to antique turnapul pan.
All had injection pumps and carburetors and all would not cold start on kerosene or diesel. The maintainer ran kerosene in temps under 40F, we used if for a snow plow when not keeping the roads.

I have seen people that ought to know better tap the hazmat tank for their cars but have not seen damage other than a fill up on #2 - the computer gets confused. Suck the tank and add 10 gallons - cycle the fuel pump a dozen times on the key and help it with either or propane for a minute. Then change the plugs, they are wet and will not clean up right. Carburetors take longer, 4-8 min to get enough change in fuel that it will run on the tank fuel.

When ever I run into high vapor pressure gas ( above 15 in WC at 70F ) I add 10% #2 to lower the vapor pressure so it does not vapor lock above 90F. Not much call for that anymore - only have 2 around without fuel injection and 1 of those may get a Megasquirt add on.

Gas is much more ready to light off from compression than diesel, that is why adding a quart of gas to 50 gallons of gelled #2 will disolve the wax and raise the cetane # to start at 0F. Bit of obsolete knowledge because the chemstry of both has changed a lot from the late 40's and most people quit doing it by the mid 60's. All of the shops were selling additives to substitute for the gas.

keydl

81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

the reason why i wanted to know if diesel would flow thru a carb is because i have a 83' mazda pick up and i want to make it smoke. It is just a little beater farm truck and i wanted to just make it a little more super bad ***. Im gonna put a carb on the intake manifold.... and turning the injector pump up is not a possibility considering i have tore it all the way down to find a way and there is nothing. i have put a custom 3 1/2" exhaust and a 6" tip it is way tight! really useless but it is just a beater.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 04:46 AM
what's egt mean ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootboy5
the reason why i wanted to know if diesel would flow thru a carb is because i have a 83' mazda pick up and i want to make it smoke. It is just a little beater farm truck and i wanted to just make it a little more super bad ***. Im gonna put a carb on the intake manifold.... and turning the injector pump up is not a possibility considering i have tore it all the way down to find a way and there is nothing. i have put a custom 3 1/2" exhaust and a 6" tip it is way tight! really useless but it is just a beater.
is the truck a diesel or a gasser ??

all you have to do is add some ATF to your fuel tank if you want the thing to smoke ! !
or TiCl4 (titanium tetrachloride) is what the air force thunderbirds drip into the hot exhaust to make the smoke trails on their stunt planes...

or you could just drip some ethylene glycol (antifreeze)into your hot exhaust system and it will do some james bond spyhunter smoke screen stuff ! ! !

2004 6oh...
relatively speaking, it's pretty stock.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:05 AM

Pumping any oil into the exhaust will make blue or white smoke after it is warm, start the pump to early and it may make a flame thrower out the tailpipe

keydl

81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in