Need help choosing first Diesel - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by JDubsLoPro, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 841 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Need help choosing first Diesel

I am stuck between a 2004 GMC 2500HD and a 2005 Ford F250.
They are both regular cab, the same price, both have decent miles (GMC 46k Ford 74k) both very clean, tow pkgs, plow pkgs, neither plowed.
The GMC has bed rails, liner, step rails, SLE model with power everything.
The Ford is all stock, XLT FX4 model.
I prefer the styling of the Ford much better--it's just a better looking truck.
The Duramax/Allison is a great combo. I haven't heard negatively or positively regarding the 6.0L and tranny that Ford uses.
I've got friends that have 7.3L Fords and one that has an 05 Duramax. There are no complaints about the max, tons of power, no reliability issues. The 7.3s have a couple transmission issues and steering and other misc. problems.
Which is a better truck? Which has better mileage, more comfortable ride, less maintenance, cheaper to fix, better resale value(seems to be GM)?
I'm looking for an unbiased opinion, I know there are guys out there that have only owned one or the other and swear by it and will never get anything else.
If the GMC was a Z71 SLT I would buy it right away, or if the Ford was a Lariat FX4 same thing.
Please guys, a little help, I'm looking to buy in the next week.
I know the maxes are faster unloaded, but I've heard the PSDs are better towing. I only intend to tow during the summer (boat) and I know that I could get a gas job to do the same thing for cheaper, but diesels have much longer lifespan and better reliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Also, the added benefit of the ORP with the FX4 is a nice kicker...there's always a few buddies dumb enough to get themselves stuck out in the middle of the woods...
anyone? comments, suggestions?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsLoPro
They are both regular cab, the same price, both have decent miles (GMC 46k Ford 74k) both very clean, tow pkgs, plow pkgs, neither plowed.
The Duramax/Allison is a great combo. I haven't heard negatively or positively regarding the 6.0L and tranny that Ford uses.
I've got friends that have 7.3L Fords and one that has an 05 Duramax. There are no complaints about the max, tons of power, no reliability issues. The 7.3s have a couple transmission issues and steering and other misc. problems.
Which is a better truck? Which has better mileage, more comfortable ride, less maintenance, cheaper to fix, better resale value(seems to be GM)?
I'm looking for an unbiased opinion, I know there are guys out there that have only owned one or the other and swear by it and will never get anything else.
If the GMC was a Z71 SLT I would buy it right away, or if the Ford was a Lariat FX4 same thing.
I know the maxes are faster unloaded, but I've heard the PSDs are better towing. I only intend to tow during the summer (boat) and I know that I could get a gas job to do the same thing for cheaper, but diesels have much longer lifespan and better reliability.
I would get the VIN # of the trucks then run an oasis on them. This would be a start. There is an oasis section on the home page.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:45 PM

If the GM & Ford is all you have to pick from, get the GM, stay away from the 6.0 PSD Fords, The dodge CTD is easier to work on, better motor than the other 2.

NEWFY, 2007 Dodge 3500 4X4 dually,laramie, racks, topsider tool boxes, auto, 3.73,NAV, auto 5.9 CTD.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFY
better motor than the other 2.

I'll have to disagree...the 5.9 CTD's have proven themselves but I'm thinking my 6.6 LBZ will prove to be a great one
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:47 PM
'Ol Builder guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsLoPro
I'd say right there GM has an advantage. With only 46 on the GM, you have more mileage until warranty expiration. If you drive it a lot this year, that Ford warranty will expire in 26K. The GM warranty will expire in 54K. If you don't drive a lot, then the Ford warranty may be better because you have until 2010.

Quote:
You need to read some more of the 6L ford forums. The 6L is the diesel engine with the most problems of any diesel engine since 2002. They had caused Ford millions in warranty claims. You also can't compare the Torqshift to the Allison tranny. The allison is more tranny. It locks up in lower gears and has much bigger tailshaft & input shafts. Look at the rear axle, too. the GM is a 11.5" true locker. the Ford is a smaller 10.5" limited slip that will wear out and need to have clutch packs replaced.

Quote:
"I've got friends that have 7.3L Fords and one that has an 05 Duramax. There are no complaints about the max, tons of power, no reliability issues. The 7.3s have a couple transmission issues and steering and other misc. problems.
I'm looking for an unbiased opinion, I know there are guys out there that have only owned one or the other and swear by it and will never get anything else."
Better truck? I like the GM over the Ford because the drivetrain (diesel engine, trans & rear) in the GM are all superior units with better reliability and greater strength. The DMAX is more reliable, the allison trans is stronger and the GM locking rear is bigger and really locks mechanically instead of relying on clutch packs. The Ford has a stronger front end for serious off roading.

Better mileage? I'd say slightly better to GM because the truck is lighter a little more aerodynamic and the trans locks in lower gears. The Ford trans is using the converter in lower gears which reduces fuel economy.

More comfortable ride: GM hands down. The front IFS suspension handles bumps better than a solid front axle, however in severe off roading, the Ford offers better ground clearance and more axle articulation.

Less maintenance: That's a tough answer. DMAX holds 4-5 less quarts of oil at oil changes, so you save $10-20 at each change. You can put transynd oil in your allison tranny to extend your trans oil changes. I'd guess filters and injectors are fairly similar in price for both. Check both trucks to see which has more tire life left. With less mileage on the GM, I'd expect it to require less maintenance in the future on things like suspension, alternators, water pumps, power steer pump, injectors, etc. Less mileage is always better assuming they both were cared for the same way. My Fords wore out ball joints every 40K. GM's wear out IFS parts.

Better resale: GM. The reason is the Ford 6L diesel is a known liability compared to the DMAX or Cummins of that era. Also, the Ford has 30K more miles. That alone would drop the value of the Ford quite a bit. Setting brands aside, wouldn't you rather have a truck with 47K over one with 74K?

Quote:
"If the GMC was a Z71 SLT I would buy it right away, or if the Ford was a Lariat FX4 same thing.
GM in this case. Better drivetrain, better resale, more reliable. I don't know what kind of mileage you'll be driving or what work you'll use the truck for, but from what you've described, it sounds like the GM is a better choice in this case. As said above, run the VIn on both and see what has been done to both.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 01:16 AM

With the ever growing cost of fuel youd be better of eith niether truck.I would get a 6.6 vortec gasser I personally have one and have the gm 6 spd auto I get 14-18 mpg and thats at 50to 75 cents cheaper than diesel.I have towed with it and love it. but it will not tow the loads that a diesel will. So if you tow over 10-15k beware.other than that the 6.0 ford is not the motor of choice.Good luck either way

99F-250 cold air
Dp40t,80t,80e,120r
gt38r 4" pipes
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:33 AM
CUMM N POWER

i d stay away from all fords.....p.o.s

:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r88cefan
i d stay away from all fords.....p.o.s
Hows that great dudge tranny then...p.o.s.I will take cubs over inline anyday. Yours might be quieter but in the end with enough money cubes will win out.

99F-250 cold air
Dp40t,80t,80e,120r
gt38r 4" pipes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode