diesel technicians salary?? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by crazycracker, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 5820 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

diesel technicians salary??

Hi, i really love diesel motors and i have a friend who is going down to Wyo Tech to become a diesel mechanic. Right now he just cleans up at a shop and is getting paid $15 an hour, he told me that diesel mechanics get paid $100 000 and knows someone who lives around him that makes 150 000 by working at the port. I was wondering if i was to go down to Wyo tech and become a diesel mechanic, would i really get paid around $100 000?? and would it take a few years or only one??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 12:17 PM

yea i want to know this info too
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 02:02 AM

iam no diesel tech.. i work for nissan... i make 70k.. im a b tech nissan is coming out with a diesel i havent herd that i would be getting more money.....

but some techs make 100k they get fed.. the gravy work..

honestly i wouldnt get involved..plus diesel dirty heavy back breaking work.. .... be a cop retire in 20 years thats what iam shooting for....
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

well i am not talking about a dealership tech, i am talking about someone that works on big rigs.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 02:28 AM

100k is not typical for the majority of diesel mechanics. The ones that make that kind of money are the usually the field guys that go to Iraq, Alaska or that just work a azz load of hours. I've been at it since june 05, graduated w/associates in may 07, making about 50k now w/50-55 hour weeks, but from what i understand the place where i work pays less than most places.

07 Dodge 5.9 3500 DRW 4x4 QC 6spd:93C_peelo With a few mods.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 PM
trucker trash

My friend that works at frieghtliner makes $23hr as a flat rate tech. Lots of shops are going to flat rate. If a job pays 6hrs that is what you get whether it takes 10 or 3. You can also get back flagged if a job comes back. I would say $100k is streching it a bit. You also need to remember that he has $40k+ in tools and hands,wrist, and arms hurt like hell from years of using and impact/air hammer. He can rebuild engines(certified on mack,volvo,cat,cummins detroits,and mb),3rd members,trannies,and anything else that needs to be done. Coming out of Wyotech you will have 1/10 his knowledge and your pay will likley reflect that. He could make more in a different area but the increase wouldn't cover the cost of living increase. Try torquing a set of mains to 450-600lbs ON YOUR BACK if you want to know how tough the job is.

To friggin lazy retype my sig again. Damn hackers.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 01:57 PM

Garage
Really depends on where you work, too. One guy I went to tech school with ( '95-'98) was only getting barely more than minimum wage, and he had been there for over a year, working at a Cummins shop turning wrenches.

At that time, TMC was paying oil changers ~$13/hr and that guy was getting $6.50/hr at Cummins.

"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."

'93 W350 CC, LE, 5spd, HTT modded H1C, 4" DE

Sold- '99 3500 Q/C, SO CTD, 4x4, 5spd.

Traded off- '97 3500 C/C, 4x4, CTD

'92 W250, LE, CC, CTD w/ tweaked pump (SOLD)

"Obama = Hoax and Chains"

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

There are no, or VERY few truck mechanics making over $70,000 year, and those that are are either in a VERY strong union shop that is "flat rate" and getting good work, or they are working for themselves.

Typical hourly rates for diesel truck techs range from $12/hr up to about $30/hr. $30/hr will gross you out to about $60,000/year assuming you don't have a lot of union dues, medical co-pay, or retirement reductions - those ALL reduce your take-home.

You are damned lucky to make $20/hr in "take-home" pay in today's f#cked up world. Every other trade makes a LOT more then a truck tech, and a truck tech works on every system: HVAC, electrical, plumbing, welding, body panels, fabrication (erecting), painting etc., yet are the dead last in terms of pay.

Does that make ANY sense?

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 08:21 PM

tell you what,you show me a diesel mechanic getting 100k a year working a 40 hr week,ill sell you some swamp land n arizona!

even service managers dont get that,not even after 20 yrs of working.if he is getting $15 for cleaning the shop,maybe you should just do that,you would be healthier than being a diesel mechanic.show me 1 diesel mechanic without bad knees,ankles,back,or wrists,than he is not a food mechanic.all of us good ones has one or 2 of these things wrong with them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in