change fuel cost by using your consumer $$ - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by aztj, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 1148 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

change fuel cost by using your consumer $$

I think we have all been going about this wrong, consumer dollars is what generates changes in this country... not politics or complaints. In the past most ppl suggested something silly like don't buy gas on Mon - duh, on Tuesday everyone does and what's the effect - NOTHING.

I'm suggesting with both gas and for damn sure diesel we as a consumer group boycott a particular brand and use market forces to bring down costs.

Just like in computers margins had to shrink as competition rose. Obviously their margins have never eroded at all and they also pass every cost onto the consumer! We as a group with the memory of 5 seconds don't do the most effective thing - alter our spending to force change.

Boycott Exxon/Mobile with their record profits!

Not forever as this is not the intention - but to force them to bring down their prices in order to move their inventory i.e. diesel and gas. As they do we as a group move to them boycotting other brands and play them as they play us. everyone is in business to make money, but this is the one area where margins rise and competition is never really an issue.

Lets make competition work for us!

PS: obviously if your about to run out of fuel and they are the only close station then buy it - but as a community and passing this on to gas consumers as well this will work.

Complain section!! (left it last so it can be skipped)
i've had it with diesel cosing 60 cents a gallon more then regular gas! What since we are more efficient they'll raise the price so our cost per mile is the same or higher! its cost less to produce and isn't anymore difficult to transport than it was 20yrs ago when it cost 30 cents a gallon LESS than gas.

i could go on for paragraphs... cheers;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:09 AM

aztj, that is a great idea. It is so simple I can't believe it hasn't been tried before. But how do we organize it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

It really a matter of getting as many ppl both gas and diesel consumers to move away from exon/mobile fuel stations and be very consistent with it. anyplace the word can be put out on other forums and email lists. I've sent the same list to everyone i know on email directly and had very positive responses. if everyone contacts the ppl they know a large enough consumer group will move!

grass roots movement!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Thread Hijack Guru!

Ok here is my problem with that. retail sales of fuel are seldomely the source of profit for a company like Exxon Mobil (as an example because that is who the OP used)

US fuel sales count for a small percentage of their profits making an additional .01 or .50 cents a gallon largly inconsequential and not worth their time to fight about.

Companis like that have built in exceptable losses like Wal-Mart's built in $1,000,000 shrink loss. That loss dosen't even phase them and the don't let it ruffle their feathers.

Here is a list of Exxon Mobil subsidiaries as of 2002, and I am sure the list has grown since then.

http://www.endgame.org/exxon.html

My personal conspiarcy theory is that this has been a calculated move by ALL the big oil companies to raise the floor on fuel prices, making the new acceptable floor $3.00 or so. I think people that think these few big companies are really figiting over a few pennies in the US market are not looking at the big picture. Yes I do think they have all conspired to do this. Why not? They are ALL getting rich and if they have all agreed then they can focus their attention on other aspects of their business.

just my .02

The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth, The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:20 PM
is here and there.

Thanked 1,110 Times in 665 Posts
FYI.. Exxon/Mobil is owned by BP or vice versa. Can't remember which.

Life changes, so roll with it, not against it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:24 PM
is here and there.

Thanked 1,110 Times in 665 Posts
also
read this http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

Life changes, so roll with it, not against it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

the experiment has ever been fully tested - just like climate warming anyone can throw false or alarmest statements, while the reality is different. same with tobacco... but if even a small number of ppl can't agree to try it, sufficient numbers will be all but impossible to accomplish.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Thread Hijack Guru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztj
even a small number of ppl can't agree to try it, sufficient numbers will be all but impossible to accomplish.
Agreed. And the reason the masses will never buy in to it is because there are so many compelling arguments against it actually working.

The United States has bred a culture of vehicular dependence for generations thus creating the dependence on fuels. WE are a product of our own doing and trying to unring the bell is futile.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

in addition to fuel sales drying up, so would the convience store product sales... all would force a new way of thinking. even if was to encourage more investment in bio fuels and other efficiencies. just like nike, apple and other areas where consumer dollars forced favorable changes in corporate brands.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Thread Hijack Guru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztj
just like nike, apple and other areas where consumer dollars forced favorable changes in corporate brands.
Unfortunately even your own argument does not support your idea. You are talking about two different things. companies changing with the times to keep up with current trends, wants and desires is different from trying to get a company to lower it's profit or reduce it's price.

Last time I checked a pair of Nike shoes cost about $100 and their made in some third world country for pennies. How does that support your argument. Last time I checked an Apple Ibook was about $1800 and all the rest of the Apple brand was at least twice the cost of a comporable PC. A more expensive product thriving in a penny pinching society.

BTW to those that would make the argument against the oil companies, have you checked your investments? Your 401K's, Mutual funds etc...Any chance the record profits are also helping you?

If you want to drive down the price of fuel, the price of YOUR fuel don't drive as much, combine trips, get rid of your smoke tune, don't race your truck, take off the big tires, regear...Lots of things you can do to get better fuel economy, to make your fuel dollars go farther. But that is not our culture. metaphorically speaking we all want to smoke out the ricer but still only pay $1.00 a gallon. Ironic if you ask me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode