Stupid Suspension Questions..... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by bigdraft, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 954 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
The Big Meanie

Stupid Suspension Questions.....

Allright....in this pic....................

What are the bars up front for? Are they '''front ladder bars?''' What are they and what are they for???

And what are the ladder bars in the rear? I see 2 bars going from the axle to the frame....is this a better setup?

Come on you suspension guru's....fill a brutha in here........

kevin

1996 Dodge 3500 Ex. Cab LB Wide Hipper
Boys Stroke It...Men RAM It
Dually Club Member
Farm Club Member
If I Get Caught Drunk On My Horse, Is It A DUI Or A RUI???

I Got A Named Bubba
In Progress...
FOREVER FARMS
What Is A Farm With No Barns?

Quote:
[Today 9:22 PM] GrnMachineLover: I just think diesels in cars are funny

Last edited by bigdraft; 06-03-2009 at 04:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:58 PM
BJS

the front is control arms which is what dodge runs on their 4wd trucks in the front. They are longer to keep factory ride characteristics with the lift kit.

Rear the bars are a custom fabricated traction bar setup. This setup is going to severely limit rear axle articulation however will be acceptable for a road truck. This is very difficult get a practical setup because you have two bars with a fixed point (frame) that must rotate at the same radius (axle) to allow full articulation. They are generally not perfectly matched not to mention that retaining the rear leaf springs is not going to allow the axle to move forward and back on a rotational basis except what is permitted by the shackle which generally pushes the axle back when suspension is compressed and forward for droop. The traction bars are going to want to go forward in droop and compression.

Essentially they attempted to do a 4link suspension with leaf springs which defeats the entire purpose. Swap the rear to coils and you'll essentially have the same suspension as the front of the truck has.

95 F350 Centurion Conversion Bronco (Crew Cab SRW) 4X4 4.10, Isspro Performax Boost, Pyro, & trans temp on the A-pillar, BDP Stage 1 injectors, Open air intake, Dpp Downpipe, Self built E4OD with parts from Racer-X, Tony Wildman Chip, Early '99 Intercooler.

Destin FL Vacation Houses 1 block from the beach

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode