Peugeot 504 diesel - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 504_pug, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 3832 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Peugeot 504 diesel

I snagged this 504 from a buddy, just a motor and tranny. It turns and catches a couple times but doesnt start. I replaced fuel filters and water seperator along with the oil and filter. My question is that once i get it running, what is the proper way to stop the engine. I am not familure with older diesels so i dont know how to accomplish this. Any information will be greatly welcomed. thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:01 AM
TDG Mafia #95

I thought they had a Run solenoid on them that would shut the pump off when power was taken away from it, but I'm not certain.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I don't see anything like that. I was looking through the manaul and saw something about a idle stop lever on the pump itself, is that what would shut it down? BTW it is a ROTO-diesel pump if any has experiance with them. I won't get a chance to try it out until the rain stops. Thanks for the reply !
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Allrighty, I had a chance to mess around with the motor yesterday. With the stop valve open, fuel is primed and bled at the filter and diesel pump. It cranks but doesn't catch. I wired up the glow plugs, let them heat for a couple minutes then tried again, and it just cranks. Even with a blast of starter fluid it doesn't catch. Is there anyting else i could be missing?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 03:28 PM

Crack the fuel line one the injector and crank it. See if you get fuel or not.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

no i do not get fuel at the injector. After cranking for a while I do get a little, very little smoke. Its more white/gray than black. Still doesn't catch though. Its driving me bonkers, I can't figure this little bugger out.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Allrighty tried a couple more things today. Here is what i did and the result i got. I tried everything with and with out tripping the glow plugs.

-I located the engine stop switch, applied 12v to it and heard it open. Cranked the motor and it did not catch.

-I am noticing a lot of fuel being dumped into the return line to the fuel tank. So i disassembled the injectors and found a couple that were stuck. With fine sandpaper i sanded the rust greased, primed and reinstalled everything. I also primed the cylanders with a couple drops of diesel. Reassembled, bled the fuel system and cranked after atuating the stop switch. Just cranked, no smoke, didn't catch.

-I unhooked all the feed lines from the diesel pump to the injectors. I cranked the motor and it didnt catch. Seemed a lot of fuel was returning to the tank via the return line.

-Removed all the injector outlets from the diesel pump, opened the stop switch and cranked. No fuel came out of the outlet to the injectors, it just kept dumping into my return line.

The last thing i did was take the plunger out of the stop switch and installed it so it was "open" Cranked and it didnt catch, fuel kept dumping into the return line.

Is there soemthing obvious i am missing?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 04:42 AM
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher

senice you say you are not getting any fuel in the injectors and those peguot engine do have rotary injector pump but however some of them run by timming belt and some other use either gear or chain depending on the model number.

but however if the timming mark line up and still not getting fuel then the pump shaft inside sized up or metering valve is stuck.

even thru you may heard a déclic [ click] on the pump but maybe metering valve is stuck at no fuel postion inside the pump.

however the safest way do is cycle the fuel pump switch few time sometime it will loosen up but however my safest way is remove the injector pump and take it to the diesel fuel pump specalist they can able get it loosen up and get the fuel flowage going again and run the test stand to make sure it still in the spec.

the last thing you want is a runaway engine if the fuel pump is stuck on full fuel rate.

Merci, Marc
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the reply. Im only testing the engine out with not even a cup of fuel, just enough to keep it primed and a little to run. It is also on a test stand so its ok if it runs. I believe I have the XD2 motor, the pump is a rotodiesel and is belt driven i do believe. Would you happen to know of any online resources for manuals on this motor?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the reply. I believe i have the XD2 motor and have a roto diesel pump. I know the stop solenoid is functioning and letting fuel in and that the shaft spins, i looked around in the inspection plate to make sure nothing was gunking things up. Ill see if i can find a manual for the pump to see if i can figure it out. I am trying to familurize myself with the motor and learn how things work, and am also on a very low budget to get it running.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode