Military Diesel Generator ?'s - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 6_Myles, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 1961 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
I be Architect'n

Military Diesel Generator ?'s

Does anybody know of a message board or mechanic that is familiar with these?

I have an army surplus 3kw Diesel Generator that is skid mounted and I've been using for temp. power at the house I'm building. It has worked fined for smaller stuff but I'd like to see if it would be possible to upgrade the output. I have seen up to 10k in this same chassie and genset but didn't know if it was possible.

I big ole :thanks: to anyone with some info.

2K3 EXCURSION 7.3L 4x4 EDDIE BAUER 107K miles as of 06-13-07
AFE Stage II / 4" MBRP exhaust / DP-Tuner F5 (Stock, 60hp Tow, 80hp Econo, 120hp race & High Idle) / Quadzilla Commander/ATS Housing
Running homebrewed BioDiesel and custom SVO kit for 70k miles.:Thumbup:
Misc. Mods: ZooDad/By-Pass Oil Filter/203* T-Stat/Coolant Filter/HPX/CCV Reroute/Tranny Filter/Foil Delete/Stereo Stuff/ITP Reg Return/Non-EBPV Pedistal and Exhaust Housing/Adjustable Waste Gate Controller/

"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back to you it was probably a high-side."

I'LL TRY TO KEEP UP, BUT THE EXCURSION IS A BIG GIRL AND BIG GIRLS DON'T LIKE TO MOVE FAST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 02:17 AM
Tebow-in'...

well, i spent 4 years in a maintenance unit. not only did we have a gen shop, we had a but-load of generators. now, i don't think i can answer your question definitively, but i can give you some decent speculation.

as stated, there were 3, 5, and 10k generator sets on approximately the same chassis. i believe the engines are physically the same, don't know about IP fueling rates or anything. i do know that each gen had a different NIIN for ordering the engines, though. so that leads me to believe that there are some differences in the engines.

even if not in the engines, in the actually generator itself there are differences [obviously]. seeing how nasty the wiring is on those jokers, even if i was given a 10k generator assembly, i'm not sure i would attempt it w/out serious support.

i think, then, you may also be looking at getting new guages and electronic field monitoring boards. just a guess.

to sum up - i wouldn't try it. you need to remember: everything in the Army's inventory was built by the lowest bidder and, often, you get what you pay for in design and quality.

:2cents

Travis
---------------------------------------------------
2011 F350 SRW CC/SB 4x4 Lariat 6.7 PSD Dark Pearl Metalic

1974 Bob'd Deuce on 16.00-20 XZLs, locked front and rear, hydro steering, front and rear winches, 5.9CTD/nv4500, hydro-boosted disc brakes

Member since Jul 05, Dually Club Member #63, American Club Member #42, FOSP Member #8
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 02:58 AM
MAFIA #8

Garage
I agree 120% w/ the above post...they all look identical in size from the exterior but very from 3K to 10K

Aaron - 2004 F350 "Offroad Edition"

2003 F250 "Pulling Truck"
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
I be Architect'n
Threadstarter

Good enough advice for me! Thanks.

I know all too well about lowest bidder quality.

2K3 EXCURSION 7.3L 4x4 EDDIE BAUER 107K miles as of 06-13-07
AFE Stage II / 4" MBRP exhaust / DP-Tuner F5 (Stock, 60hp Tow, 80hp Econo, 120hp race & High Idle) / Quadzilla Commander/ATS Housing
Running homebrewed BioDiesel and custom SVO kit for 70k miles.:Thumbup:
Misc. Mods: ZooDad/By-Pass Oil Filter/203* T-Stat/Coolant Filter/HPX/CCV Reroute/Tranny Filter/Foil Delete/Stereo Stuff/ITP Reg Return/Non-EBPV Pedistal and Exhaust Housing/Adjustable Waste Gate Controller/

"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back to you it was probably a high-side."

I'LL TRY TO KEEP UP, BUT THE EXCURSION IS A BIG GIRL AND BIG GIRLS DON'T LIKE TO MOVE FAST.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode