Exhaust Brake?? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ccxnola, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 1281 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust Brake??

OK - here I go again with a nubee question!
(BTW - thanks to those that posted a reply re my 'High Altitude' question.)
I have now learned that my Cummins C8.3 (circa 1997) is 'mechanical' and thus changes by fiddiling with the computer chips is not a possibility!)
BUT - in the documentation that came with my RV (37 ft Rexhall MoHo) it has descriptions and explanations regarding an ' Exhaust Brake ' (EXTARDER). There is a reference to a 'switch on the dash' (for activation) that is obviously not there!

So - my thought is that the paperwork is general and not specific to my coach. BUT.... how can one determine IF there is an Exhaust Brake function included in the engine?? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 05:17 AM
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher

Pour le frein d'échappement il sera vaccum ou la chambre de pression atmosphérique selon le jeu en haut.

Je sais que quelques unités ont vraiment des conducteurs supplémentaires {des fils} pour le frein de moteur fondé.

Si pas vous devrez ajouter le couple de conducteurs là et le couple de commutateurs {c'est une partie très importante avec ce système} un commutateur sera au levier d'accélérateur de pompe et le deuxième au commutateur de frein et ce sera la connexion en série ainsi seulement la façon d'obtenir ce frein d'échappement de moteur pour fonctionner correct est deux articles est., accélérateur zéro., freinez-en permettra le frein de moteur {Un certain cas si vous avez Allison avec la serrure en haut je pense que vous pouvez capable d'avoir une valve spéciale pour garder le convertisseur toqure ferment à clef beaucoup plus long si vous avez ferment à clef verison} cependant.,
Si vous frappez l'accélérateur quand le frein de moteur est sur cela fera automatique coupé la valve d'échappement {il a un printemps pour le rendre pour ouvrir le post-ion} idem avec le commutateur de frein aussi.

Ouais l'autre chose vous pouvez finir mis par le printemps de valve d'échappement de devoir Hevey dans là {un certain échappement freine le modèle l'exige vraiment}

For the exhaust brake it will be either vaccum or air pressure chamber depending on set up.

I know some units do have extra conductors { wires } for engine brake set up.

If not you will need to add couple of conductors in there and couple of switches { it is a very important part with this system } one switch will be at pump throttle lever and second one at brake switch and it will be hook up in series so only way to get this engine exhaust brake to function correct is two items is .,, zero throttle ., brake off that will enable the engine brake { some case if you have allison with lock up I think you can able have a special valve to keep the toqure converter lock up much longer if you have lock up verison } however.,,

If you hit the throttle when the engine brake is on it will automatic shut off the exhaust valve {it have a spring to bring it back to open postion } ditto with brake switch as well.

Yeah the other thing you may end up put in Hevey duty exhaust valve spring in there { some exhaust brake model do require that }

Merci,Marc
The Following User Says Thank You to french277 For this addition to TDG:
ccxnola (05-26-2009)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

BUT....

Thanks Marc, but I simply need to know what to look for to figure out if my cummins c8.3 (mechanical) does or does not have an exhaust brake attached. I do not even know where to start looking or what to look for in terms of attachments to the engine. I do have the owner manual that identifies parts of the engine, but there is no information in that manual about an exhaust brake, so I think it must be something that is an optional addition.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher

Look at this link then you will see what this look like http://www.pacbrake.com/index.php?pa...haust-brakes-2

Merci,Marc
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:33 AM

If it has one,it will be a waste gate set up right by the turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode