help figuring out exhaust cutout - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by yamaman, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 1492 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

help figuring out exhaust cutout

hey everyone looking at doing an electric cutout to divert away from my stacks when towing or when I want peace lol. I have found electric cutouts but not sure they are going to work like I want them to. because the way it looks to me is that when I flip the switch blocks of stacks and then divert into muffler then dumped but when I have it open and want to run straight through my stacks isn't it still going to be open going to the muffler? So when I get on it I have smoke coming out of the stacks and out from under the truck(would look like a nasty exhaust leak) Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to completely block off both directions of pipe, so when one is doing its thing the other isn't. Am I going to have to run 2 cutouts? Also interest in maybe some quick non electric methods too. Thanks for your input everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 04:25 AM

Electric actuator to move a sleeve valve simular to a fuel transfer valve or with a 1/4 left sleeve valve that blocks one or the other.

Tailpipe goes into the side of a 6 in long piece of 5 in exhaust with one end welded closed, the stack comes out the top. A piece of 4 in is closed to the 5 in on the open end and cut away to block one or the other with the out side end welded closed. Use an overcenter spring to slow the rattles.

Needs a little clearence for soot between the sleeves, window motor might work to shift it or a cable. Band clamps to install so it will drop out.

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode