Tips - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by powerstroke2003, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 1020 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Tips

I will be pulling at Rural Retreat the weekend of the 24. This is the first time I have ever pulled a sled. I was wondering if yall have any tips for a beginner. Thanks Zac

I'm Zac

2003 F-250 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4x4
Crew Cab, Shortbed, Dark Red Exterior; Tan Interior; H-11 Headstuds; Tuned by Innovative Diesel; MBRP down pipe straight into a 6 inch Grand Rock miter stack; Airaid Intake; Isspro Trans temp, Fuel pressure, Boost, Pyro gauges; EGR Cooler Deleted; Pro Comp 3in leveling kit and F-350 blocks out back; Eagle Alloy 114 wraped in Nitto Terra Grapplers; Ranchhand brushguard; Custom Traction Bars; Recon Smoke Cab Light and Third Brake Light;Pioneer CD Player and XM radio; and a "THE DIESEL GARAGE" sticker in the back window.

Black Betty: 1981 Jeep CJ7 258 I-6, 4 spd, Headman Header, Comp Cams MSD ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, 2in of lift, 30in Swampers, Lincoln Locked rear.

Scrappy: 1975 Jeep CJ5 258 I-6, 3 spd,Headman Header, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, Full MSD ignition, Stretched 14 inches, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch tires, Lincoln Locker rear

BOMB Squad #15
Singles Club #136
American Club #17
Riding Dirty Club #25

A big thanks to Aaron at Smoking Guns Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 10:51 PM

leave ur rear tires aired up to full pressure , drop the pressure in your front tires,
pull in 4 low in 3rd or 2nd, try to keep the tires spinning , do not hesatate at the begining of the pull,
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 09:16 AM

RPMs !!!!!!!!!!! got to have wheel speed!!!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 01:21 AM

As said 2nd or 3rd. Air pressure needs vary great by the track. Try to read the track it will come w/time. Dont go in the same ruts and holes everyone else has dug, sometimes you can have the sled operator go to one side if you ask, sometimes almsot out of bounds is the best. have fun is the most part. Some guys recommend poping it in N exaclty as you let off to unload the drivetrain b ut stock you should be ok.

1996 Gmc k2500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel, with mods Blew the head gasket, put all new heads, valves, injecotrs gaskets etc on the truck only to get it together and find out it had no oil pressure, and sounded horrible (pry a spun bearing). SOLD
2007 chevrolet 2500hd Duramax loaded. GM LEMON BUYBACK
2007 Chevrolet LBZ 1 ton crew cab 8ft box
on star, xm, tow mirrors, 145 amp alt,
#23 Singles Club
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 04:41 AM

tip

ive got a tip get a chevy!!!!! jk man rock on i will say this was at a pull tonite in wilmington and the fords were wheel hopping awful im talking new style track was real soft though i couldnt hook up worth a hoot so i dropped down a lvl with the programmer and almost took it out just couldnt get hooked up i really think the right tire is as or more important than the hp if it wont hook up all the ponies in da world are useless i think the bfg radial all terrain is a real good all around pulling tire for the stock classes air pressre so so important just a pound or two can make a huge diff
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 02:18 PM
TDG Mafia Member#67

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejdman04
As said 2nd or 3rd. Air pressure needs vary great by the track. Try to read the track it will come w/time. Dont go in the same ruts and holes everyone else has dug, sometimes you can have the sled operator go to one side if you ask, sometimes almsot out of bounds is the best. have fun is the most part. Some guys recommend poping it in N exaclty as you let off to unload the drivetrain b ut stock you should be ok.

i saw a vid while back where a guy did that and threw it in R and backed into the sled...HARD

1st murdered out 2011 F250 CC SB Fx4 lariat
2008 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat dark stone, s&b intake, 5" flo pro straight pipe, 7" flo pro tip, sct livewire custom tuned by Eric @ IDP
Previous Rides:
2003 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat centinneal black on black modded up
2001 F250 CC LB 4x4 xlt maroon lifted up
1997 F150 EC SB 4x2 xlt red
http://www.youtube.com/user/6Lstrokin
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:16 PM
AKA slowdog racing

Send a message via Yahoo to maddogg1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L strokin
i saw a vid while back where a guy did that and threw it in R and backed into the sled...HARD
yea he was a dodge too and the only way to do that is if you have your foot on the brake.....so i make sure my feet are off the pedals when i do it, and it has to be done right when you get stopped...tire pressure is the biggest thing, i run 25PSI in the front and 45PSI in the rear....and to avoid wheel hope ease into it instead of doing like a boosted launch....good luck:Thumbup:

:

-Curtis-

2006 chevy 2500 LBZ ec sb AKA Blue Blur :chevy-EFI live from mcrat and a few slowdog racing tunes, AFE stage 2 with PG 7, MBRP 5" turbo back,Bilstein shocks, Autometer cobalt pyro and boost, BD fullbore manifold, SD manifold, 2" block in the rear, caltracs traction bars, and 33 x 12.5 r 16.5 sport kings. 2 10" memphis subs, 1050 max watt lightning audio amp, alpine head unit.
[email protected] mph with whats above.thanks pat and kat.
coming soon - suncoast V trans., slowdog duel pumps
"Its a matter of horsepower for eight seconds or miles an hour that's the way i am and it's a fact i cant ignore yeah big four-legged, fuel-injected runnin' wild or radar-detected a man can always stand a little bit more horsepower."-Horsepower-Chris LeDoux

Me kickin azz
My truck and other things
Myspace
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:50 PM
TDG Mafia Member#67

a lot of people with fords have told me to go ahead and do a boosted launch..? and how come so much in the front and lil in the rear?

1st murdered out 2011 F250 CC SB Fx4 lariat
2008 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat dark stone, s&b intake, 5" flo pro straight pipe, 7" flo pro tip, sct livewire custom tuned by Eric @ IDP
Previous Rides:
2003 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat centinneal black on black modded up
2001 F250 CC LB 4x4 xlt maroon lifted up
1997 F150 EC SB 4x2 xlt red
http://www.youtube.com/user/6Lstrokin
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 10:40 PM

if i had a dollar for every bit of diff advice ive heard on truck pulling id have a lot of dollars my point is your going to hear a bunch of diff advice up to you to sort out wha t works for you and your drivng style wjat works well for one person may not work for another the other night i had a bone stock d max whom i was helping out kick the tar out of me(no more help for him) lol he just had the right combo of power and traction that i did not had the power but no traction see what works for you no advice in words can match experience as far as why lower front tire pressure more than the rear you want to get as much rubber
in contact with the track as you can and you cant lower the rears as much as the fronts because you risk spinning the tire on the rim or blowing out plus the lower pressure lowers the truck and you really want that hitch height as high as you can get it and be legal many other reasons wheel hop etc hope this helps smoke on:smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode