First Pull... Need any tips/advice.. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Cowboy, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 963 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

First Pull... Need any tips/advice..

Hey guys.. I'm not new to diesels, but I am new to the sled pulling scene. I've seen it done at county fairs, and I was absolutely in awe. I know it's been posted a million times here, and answered twice that, but what advice do you have for a first time sled jerker?

Now before this goes any further, I'll set it straight, I don't want to do this professionally. I just want to get out on the dirt, hook to something heavy and see how my truck reacts to it and what it's going to do. I just want to pull a few county fairs out of the year. Mostly back home, and now where I live now.

Truck has the current mods that are listed in my signature, and will have the coming soon mods by the time next year rolls around. I don't plan to do any pulling now. Just focusing on getting my truck built up to a decent state where I can pull. It isn't much over stock. Right now, all I have is an Edge Comp with the wire tapped, a Vulcan big line lift pump relocation kit, S&B Intake, and a straight pipe.

The clutch is also slipping BADLY, and the rear main seal is leaking which is what is causing the clutch to slip. Both of these will be replaced SOON.

So, for the first timer, what do you reccomend I do from the second the hook drops, until the truck won't "go" anymore? I've watched pulling video's on YouTube, and I'm not really fond of how the truck stops when it won't go. It seems like it just "spews" all at once. I can't see how this is very healthy. Being mine is a standard, I assume once it stops, I just clutch it really fast, and take it out of gear until everything is unhooked?

Need tips guys.. Any advice will be appreciated and put to use!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 02:13 AM

first if that clutch is slippping under normal use it will definitly cook it pulling ( better replace it before you even try dont try and shift pick a gear and stick with it id:smoke rive an auto so not much advice there) also ask around at the fair and observe,, you can learn a lot by just watching and taking in the info,,, are people letting air out,, leaving it in,,, youe going to want to pick a gear high enough that you can get a decent amount of momentum off the line but not so hig that you bog down in the first 150 feet you need as much momentum in the first half of the pull as you can get every track is diff observe whether the soil is loose or hard packed this will determine how much air yo want to let out of your tires hope this helps you good luck and have fun!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 02:20 AM

leave ur rear tire full of air but drop the pressure in the front , just before u get the go flag look down the track and see where the ruts are and stay out of them, run in 4 low in 2nd but u might want to use one pull to see what gear u wanna pull in, u want a lil tire spin to keep the rpms up, hope that helps a lil im sure some more experienced sled pullers will chime in
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin in vt
first if that clutch is slippping under normal use it will definitly cook it pulling ( better replace it before you even try dont try and shift pick a gear and stick with it id:smoke rive an auto so not much advice there) also ask around at the fair and observe,, you can learn a lot by just watching and taking in the info,,, are people letting air out,, leaving it in,,, youe going to want to pick a gear high enough that you can get a decent amount of momentum off the line but not so hig that you bog down in the first 150 feet you need as much momentum in the first half of the pull as you can get every track is diff observe whether the soil is loose or hard packed this will determine how much air yo want to let out of your tires hope this helps you good luck and have fun!!!

Yeah, I'm definately going to have a clutch and 4" by that time rolls around. Might have some mild sticks too, have to see how money goes. I'm fixing to buy a first home and get married, so I'll have to stash away a few bucks to buy goodies with.

Thanks for the info so far guys.. I am taking notes.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
I'm fixing to buy a first home and get married,

there goes ur mod money :
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 1 tonhauler
there goes ur mod money :

I will have a mod fund.

I told her for every pair of shoes she buys, I buy a go fast goody. We'l see how quick the closet builds up.

Actually, I have the green to buy goodies when we can afford them. If the bills are paid, and mortgage is paid for the month, and we have enough money, I will be entitled to a treat occasionally.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 02:57 AM

sounds like a good deal to me
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 12:15 PM

Thinking of pulling the sled?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I attended my first pull, I had no idea what I was getting my self into. Would my truck break? Would I win? Would I lose? Would I screw up? Am I doing this right?

It was pretty intimidating. Many trucks and didn't seem to be too many newbies. I made sure I asked alot of questions but quickly learned that the process of pulling would become second nature.

It took a few passes pulling to really feel comfortable to what my 'pre-flight check list / operating procedures' would be. I finally settled into this.

1st. I want to ensure that my truck is nice and warm. When I realize we are about 30 minutes out from our trucks pulling, I start the engine and let her idle to reach operating engine temps.

2nd. When its my turn and I pull onto the track, I try to make sure I'm lined up so when I back up I directly centered on the sled. Before I back up, I am sure to put into 4x4 low. I back up centered and watch as the official tells me to stop so he can hook the sled to my hitch. I then put into neutral and show my hands out the window for safety reasons. The official then asks for me to slowly pull forward to put tension on the chain.

3rd. I make sure I am in Drive. I then set my Juice w/ attitude up so it does not defuel and on 5x5. At this point, your vision becomes blurry, your heart is beating fast, and you are getting knots in your stomach.

4th. The waiting game. It took me a few passes to realize there is no hurry to pull off the line. This is not drag racing. I focus on the flagger down the track and wait for the green flag. As soon as I get green, I do a real quick run down to make sure everything is set to the settings I need.

5th. Its go time. Due to my truck having a big turbo and a slushy tranny, I don't build boost on the line. I just push the throttle pedal all the way to the floorboard and TRY to monitor gauges as much as possible. You will find that this is VERY difficult to do. So much going on around you and the excitement.

6th. Pull until you can't pull no more. I have heard over and over for the most part not to worry about the gauges. This pull is for a very short period of time and the weight comes on slowly. You will feel the truck getting slower.

7th. Get r done. The truck is starting to creep now to the point that it can't go any further. Be very focused on the flag. This is probably the most likey chance that things could go wrong and break if you are not careful. Do your very best to try to ease out of the throttle... to prevent your turbo barking or other carnage. Easy rule to remember if the truck starts to hop. Hop 1=Hey buddy, take it easy. Hop 2=No really pal, I'm serious... last warning before carnage. Hop 3=Point of no return. POW. Busted parts. If you get a red flag while pulling... STOP! There IS a reason!

8th. You done good. You now need to watch the official so he can back you up and unhook you. Put the truck into neutral, show my hands, and wait to get the signal from track officials to take the truck away. Hopefully on its own power.

I can tell you from experience that I thought this would be very hard on the truck. I was surprised at the ease of how light the trailer is off the line and how easily / gently the truck comes to a rolling start. To date, I have not broken anything in the progress of pulling. In my opinion, doing 4x4 lauches drag racing seems to have been more wear & tear on the truck.

Stay focused, watch the officials and HAVE FUN!!!! A benefeit this year that I didn't have last year is that the NHRdA Sled Pulling Directors will be allowed to pull with a newbies for educational purposes OR a newbie may also be allowed to ride in the Pull Directors truck to see how its done. Do not be intimidated. A stock truck can pull a sled with no problem, ask questions and Get R Done!

Found this elsewhere couldnt say it better myself. Besides to much typing .

2005 dodge 3500, qc, drw, 4x4 flat bed, cummins edge hot w/A2, 5" mbrp turbo back, stage II afe intake, tracton bars, 12000 lbs hitch, BD lift pump, suncoast converter.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=352446226

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode