Superduty Weight Rack - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by imported_6.0superduty, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 1361 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Question Superduty Weight Rack

I am trying to figure out how to make a rack for my truck. I don't have a snow plow or anything like that down here in Fl. I was thinking about something in place of the tow hooks, but the biggest tube I could fit is 1 1/2 square. I don't think thats enough for 300lbs of weight. Does anybody have pics of one that bolts on or something like that? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0superduty
I am trying to figure out how to make a rack for my truck. I don't have a snow plow or anything like that down here in Fl. I was thinking about something in place of the tow hooks, but the biggest tube I could fit is 1 1/2 square. I don't think thats enough for 300lbs of weight. Does anybody have pics of one that bolts on or something like that? Thanks
maybe a front reciever?

and for the 1.5 inch tube not being ebough. if it is thick wall tube i think it would hold depending on your fab skills, or you could always use 1.5 inch bar, that would for sure hold the weight.

1996 F-350 LB CC 4 in. lift 35 in. BFG AT's Go Rhino Grill Gaurd, Stancor GPR.

"Id rather be stroked than rammed!"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 02:15 PM

I don't know how it would work on an 04 model.. but on my 02, I removed the tow hooks and mounted reciever tubes that accept 2" recievers in their place. I had to raise the bumper about 1/2" to make this work... but that simply tightened the bumper to grill/headlight clearance.

I've not built a weight rack for this yet, but it has come in handy, and kinda cleans up the appearance of the front of my truck in my opinion.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks to both of you guys. Ill post some pics once its done.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:

it is plenty we did that to mine and would hang 1000lbs for 2 years now and never had a problem .
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 08:16 AM

what did yall do just make a flat plat to bolt to were the hooks would bolt
?then weld on the 2" reciever ?that's what i thought about doing im certified welder i think i can do it
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 12:58 PM

Well.. the way I did mine was a little involved.

At the time I did it.. I had the front bumper, and the grill out for other reasons.

I removed the hooks, and removed the forward bolt from the spring hanger. Then I slid the reciever in.. testing it for proper fit with the bumper. Once I was sure it was where I wanted it, I used a transfer punch to dot the tube at the location of the spring hanger bolt, and the center bolt hole that held the tow hook in.

I then drilled the tube at those marked locations. I don't recall off hand what size bolt I used. Once the tub had been drilled, with the tube still out of the truck I inserted a bolt, and used it to hold a nut in place while I welded it to the tube.

Once both nuts had been welded, and things had cooled, I put the tube back into the frame, put bolts through, and tightened everything.

Then I repeated the same process for the other side of the truck.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I also removed the tow hooks, put new, shorter bolts back throught the frame and spring hanger and tightened everything down. I already had the bumper off to remove the tow hooks, so I took two pieces of 1 1/2 sguare 1/4 wall tubing and used those for the legs of my weight rack. I built the rack and slid it into the frame rails and drilled two holes in the outside of each frame rail and then through the legs of the weight rack. Then I tapped the holes in the weight rack legs for 1/2-13 bolts. When I use the rack, I just slide it in the front and thread in the four bolts from behind the bumper. Takes about 15 minutes or so, but looks nice. We only have one pull a month down here, so I wanted something removable. But after trying it out on my truck, It looks kind ofcool and might come in handy if someone decides to stop rather quickly in front of me. Hope this helps.

Kyle
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I also removed the tow hooks, put new, shorter bolts back throught the frame and spring hanger and tightened everything down. I already had the bumper off to remove the tow hooks, so I took two pieces of 1 1/2 sguare 1/4 wall tubing and used those for the legs of my weight rack. I built the rack and slid it into the frame rails and drilled two holes in the outside of each frame rail and then through the legs of the weight rack. Then I tapped the holes in the weight rack legs for 1/2-13 bolts. When I use the rack, I just slide it in the front and thread in the four bolts from behind the bumper. Takes about 15 minutes or so, but looks nice. We only have one pull a month down here, so I wanted something removable. But after trying it out on my truck, It looks kind ofcool and might come in handy if someone decides to stop rather quickly in front of me. Hope this helps.

Kyle

1996 F-350 LB CC 4 in. lift 35 in. BFG AT's Go Rhino Grill Gaurd, Stancor GPR.

"Id rather be stroked than rammed!"
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I can't figure out how to post the pics. It says the files are too big. Can someone help?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode