This has probably been asked but.... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Italianmobsta74, this thread has received 21 replies and been viewed 1670 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

This has probably been asked but....

I am wanting to get into the sled pulling sport and have a few questions.
Right now I have a 2007 F-350 and well I may have to sell it so I could use some answers on my next truck.
I am looking at either a Dodge 2nd Gen 24v or a 2001 Ford F-350 7.3l and really dont know how to weigh the pros and cons of both for a serious performance truck. Could anyone shed some insight on problems theyve had while modifying one of these trucks or which can pump out more power? Sorry it's kinda a general question but I would like some insight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 12:36 AM

The cummins is the way to go hands down. Sheid diesel is one of the biggest sled pullers around and all he uses is cummins. You might also consider, instead of a 24v, a 12v. They are easier to get power out of.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 04:20 AM

go with the dodges. 12valves you can get alot out of. 24v's are pretty good also....definatly look into sheids diesel performance, they have alot of stuff for anything u possibly could want for a cummins engine!:Thumbup:
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 02:13 AM

Get a dodge IF you just want to be another dodge puller...lol. Check out the double overtime truck, it's a ****** 7.3
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 03:13 AM

Depends on how much you want to spend. I think the Dodge is the biggest bang for your buck, but if you want to hear a V-8 screaming and have a little more money to throw out, The D'max is the way to go.
I like all brands that pull and they all have the potential to win. I would suggest following the truck's in the class that you intend to participate in and try to find a patern with a brand that is having the most success. This might make your choice for a puller a little clearer. This is not an inexpensive sport and you need to decide first, at what level you want to compete?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 07:32 PM
TDG Mafia #76

Send a message via AIM to John_DeereGreen Send a message via Yahoo to John_DeereGreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTNRGreene
Get a dodge IF you just want to be another dodge puller...lol. Check out the double overtime truck, it's a ****** 7.3
I'm going to say it on here just like I've said on Powerstroke Nation. Double Overtime IS NOT A POWER STROKE!!! The only part of that truck that is remotely Power Stroke is the block. It's not a Power Stroke diesel motor, it's a diesel motor with 7.3 liters of displacement. Shied Diesel converted the injection system to a Piston Pump style and got rid of the HUEI injection system. Of course it's got a girdle, forged or billet rods, ceramic coated pistons and all the other supporting mods for 1500 horsepower, but it's not a Power Stroke anymore.

To the original poster, if you're going for all out performance, your best bet is a 12 Valve Cummins motor. The inline 6 has something that no V motor will ever have: more torque lugging into lower RPM's. Go find a 1996 or 1997 with the 12 Valve, call Shied Diesel in Effingham Illinois, and have some fun!!

Jarrett
04.5 qcsb commonrail
Smarty TnT
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 04:04 PM

In my personal opinion, you might as well forget about the Ford if you have any desire to win.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:34 PM

IMO the 12 valve and the d max are the only ways to go

1996 Gmc k2500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel, with mods Blew the head gasket, put all new heads, valves, injecotrs gaskets etc on the truck only to get it together and find out it had no oil pressure, and sounded horrible (pry a spun bearing). SOLD
2007 chevrolet 2500hd Duramax loaded. GM LEMON BUYBACK
2007 Chevrolet LBZ 1 ton crew cab 8ft box
on star, xm, tow mirrors, 145 amp alt,
#23 Singles Club
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:46 AM

Your advice on the 12 valve is not bad. I just hear that the Duramaxes are starting to do real well in certain classes that apply to the average puller in the northern states. Yes, all out performance------ the Dodges have the advantage.
Regular Joe puller, with some dollars to spend and be competetive, might want to consider a the V-8 Duramax.
I do Love to hear those Dodges spinning over 5,000 rpms.:bow: Someone is gonna put a P-pump on a Dmax, then you'll see some rpm's

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_DeereGreen
I'm going to say it on here just like I've said on Powerstroke Nation. Double Overtime IS NOT A POWER STROKE!!! The only part of that truck that is remotely Power Stroke is the block. It's not a Power Stroke diesel motor, it's a diesel motor with 7.3 liters of displacement. Shied Diesel converted the injection system to a Piston Pump style and got rid of the HUEI injection system. Of course it's got a girdle, forged or billet rods, ceramic coated pistons and all the other supporting mods for 1500 horsepower, but it's not a Power Stroke anymore.

To the original poster, if you're going for all out performance, your best bet is a 12 Valve Cummins motor. The inline 6 has something that no V motor will ever have: more torque lugging into lower RPM's. Go find a 1996 or 1997 with the 12 Valve, call Shied Diesel in Effingham Illinois, and have some fun!!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 02:19 AM
Still Strokin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_DeereGreen
It's more powerstroke than you think, the block and heads are stock but have been modified, the crank is stock. You can't say it's not powerstroke cuz at that hp level any engine is going to have many, many diffrent parts that were not made by original engine manufacturer.

-02 F-350 6spd, DP Tuner F-6, 300+cc B codes, 150 FASS, two custom s400's, BTS oil, dual disk clutch.
-95 Dodge 12V 5 spd puller
-Tow rig 03 FL-60 Freightliner QC by Sportsshassie, 300hp 3126, 6 spd allison, with propane and a TS chp
-97 ranger 2.3L 5spd
-06 F450 work truck with 11' IMT body
Big Thanks to DP-Tuner and Rosewood Diesel!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode