Want better MPG - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by gr33ng0bl1n, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 2710 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
STROKIN

Want better MPG

So whats the best MPG Tuner out there and what other mods can be done to the 6.4 to get better mpg. So far stock my online mpg calculator is saying I am getting 10.4 city. I have read others getting as good as 17 mpg. Whats need to get that or possibly 15 mpg on the 6.4?

Been gone for a while.. since I've been gone here's an update: I've bought a 2012 F150 Harley Davidson Edition and I recently got rid of it on a 2009 F350 King Ranch C/C Longbed. Has a 6'' lift on 355/60r20, Bully Dog, Leer 700 cover, Bed Carpet and more to come in future

2010 F350 Lariat FX4 6.4 C/C Longbed stock for a little while. (traded it in 2012) ,

FIRST LOVE SOLD 9/11/2010 2004 F350 XLTFX4 6.0 C/C Longbed, 38.5" ProComp Xtreme All Terrain Radials 20x10 Helo Series HE791, 11.5" Skyjacker Lift, Banks Exhaust, SCT SF3, Tri-gauge cluster w/ISSPRO Gauges, CCV, ARP Studs, ITP Regulated Return Kit, Banks Intercooler Sys, Deleted EGR, Fluidamp, DFuser Coolant Filter Kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:26 PM

First off your lie o meter is probably way off, mine usually was. Even if you go by the book its not very accurate.

And when you consider I smile when its above 20 and frown when its below, its pretty important to be accurate.

I found its most accurate if you reset it with the trip after fueling up.

As for the best gains in mpg, HP and mpg sorta hold hands to a point. Meaning what you do to help HP also helps mpg, to a point, once you start adding a double lifter pump and big injectors you start going down the mpg scale while climbing the hp out the roof.

Every mpg book out there even the "100mpg" book from the mid 80's start with one key concept. The easier it is to move the less energy it takes to roll. That means road tires are better than Boggers, manual hubs are better than semi automatic, 3.50 gears are better than 4.10 , etc.

I would look at letting her breath better. Cold air intake, cold side intercooler pipe, down pipe, dpf delete and exhaust are all things I've done to help mine breath and it helps.

If you look at the stock filter, stock cold side pipe, intake pipe and down pipe, not to mention the choking dpf and limited 3.5" stock exhaust its hard to say it wouldn't help. The cold side pipe itself almost a maze, and the exhaust is nearly as bad.

Unfortunately you can't remove the dpf without legal issues and a aftermarket tuner.

Aside from that there are a few other things you can do to help mileage.

-Keep the truck empty, hauling that 4 wheeler is great on the weekend but mon-fri when you don't need it its just another 400 lbs of crap you burning fuel to move.

-Drive the speed limit, there is a point that you begin to use a given precentage more of fuel to get that next mph, over the last, find it and keep it at or below. Stock my truck ran better at 65 than 70.

-There is an never ending debate over tailgate and tonneau cover effects, that I won't get into

-If its comfortable outside run the fan and not the ac, the ac compressor will steal at least 15 hp from an engine, same goes in the winter the defroster runs the ac compressor.

-Again I won't touch the debate on window up and window down, but if I'm 40 mph or slower I usually have a driver arm.

-Properly filled tires, over inflation and under inflation are not only bad for your tires but bad for your economy as well.

-Don't drive it!!! If you need a handful of items at the grocery store less than a mile away, walk you save money and get exercise. Same concept applies if you have another vehicle. I myself use the R6 to get hardware when I'm low and try to only use the truck to pick up larger items.

-Charge for use, everyone loves to ride around in the big powerful truck. But no one pays for the fuel but you. If you get tagged for the beer run, or the DD, somebody should compensate you for your hard earned money, and there is other compensation beyond cash.

Hope some of that helps.

Cheers

Jeremy Payne
2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB
2009 XLT F150 Super Crew Short Box 4x4 5.4L[
2008 Lariat F350 Crew Cab Long Box 4x4 6.4L
-Spartan tuned, S&B Cold Air Intake, Cold side Intercooler pipe, 4" Down pipe, Powerstroker67 DPF/CAT delete, MBRP 4" Black Series w/5" tip.
2005 Yamaha R6
1971 M35A2 AM General W/O Winch
The Following User Says Thank You to Bighurt For this addition to TDG:
gr33ng0bl1n (09-16-2010)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 11:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr33ng0bl1n View Post
So whats the best MPG Tuner out there and what other mods can be done to the 6.4 to get better mpg. So far stock my online mpg calculator is saying I am getting 10.4 city. I have read others getting as good as 17 mpg. Whats need to get that or possibly 15 mpg on the 6.4?
The MPG computers on my 6.4 trucks were fairly accurate when running the truck "stock". If you "tune" your truck, it really does become a Lie-O-Meter. I've seen 26MPG on the computer, only to fill-up, hand calculate my mileage and find that I only got 17 mpg.

I'm in the construction business and probably know close to 100 guys running the 6.4 and [B]None[B] of them have ever gotten 17 mpg in town, stock or tuned.

My best stock mileage: 11.0 city 16.8 highway
By best tuned mileage: 12.8 city 18.9 highway

My truck is a Crew Cab 4x4 with the 3.55 axle

As I posted on your other thread:

You'll need to delete the DPF & CAT to get the best fuel economy. I've run the Spartan System on all 4 of my 6.4 trucks and my experience is that the 250 HP tune is the best daily driver, excellent for towing and yields the best fuel economy. This tune also shuts-off the EGR system, which prevents fuel contamination to the oil. Without the EGR shut-off, I've experienced as much as 1 quart of oil contamination in 3,000 miles (put it 15 quarts then drained 16 quarts at the next oil change). The tune also cycles the EGR valve at idle so that it doesn't get "stuck" closed, in the event that you return the truck to the stock tune.

I did the Spartan/DPF-CAT delete on all of my trucks anywhere from new (drove it home from the dealer) to 5,000 miles and have never had any problems. I however, do not race my truck or do burn-outs, so I have never expected any problems.

Delete - Tune - Get Happy!
The Following User Says Thank You to Truckmaniac For this addition to TDG:
gr33ng0bl1n (09-16-2010)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
STROKIN
Threadstarter

Thanks for all the info guys

Been gone for a while.. since I've been gone here's an update: I've bought a 2012 F150 Harley Davidson Edition and I recently got rid of it on a 2009 F350 King Ranch C/C Longbed. Has a 6'' lift on 355/60r20, Bully Dog, Leer 700 cover, Bed Carpet and more to come in future

2010 F350 Lariat FX4 6.4 C/C Longbed stock for a little while. (traded it in 2012) ,

FIRST LOVE SOLD 9/11/2010 2004 F350 XLTFX4 6.0 C/C Longbed, 38.5" ProComp Xtreme All Terrain Radials 20x10 Helo Series HE791, 11.5" Skyjacker Lift, Banks Exhaust, SCT SF3, Tri-gauge cluster w/ISSPRO Gauges, CCV, ARP Studs, ITP Regulated Return Kit, Banks Intercooler Sys, Deleted EGR, Fluidamp, DFuser Coolant Filter Kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode