Looking for tuner, NEED BETTER MPG! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by kiltic, this thread has received 26 replies and been viewed 15043 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Looking for tuner, NEED BETTER MPG!

Looking for a tuner that will help me with mpg on a 08 F350. I understand a DPF delete will help, thing is I don't need crazy HP, and I don't need it to be loud. I just need this truck to last me as long as possible. I think about driving this thing for the next 10 years, or whatever at 11-12 mpg and it kinda makes me want to sit down. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Just want a stock tune with better mileage as it is a work truck. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 01:37 PM

Garage
Not to get on your case, but you should have done a little more research before you bought the Ford 6.4, if you were concerned about fuel economy.

There is no such thing as a "stock" tune & better mpg. It just ain't going to happen.

11 to 12 mpg of in-town driving is typical, even with the DPF delete & tuner

I've seen as high as 19 mpg (typically around 17) on the highway with my 2010 F250 4x4 crew cab with the 3.55 gears. I'm running the DPF delete and the Spartan 250 tune. Without the mods, highway MPGs would be 15 to 16.

There are lots of guys on this and other forums claiming "fantastic" mileage increases with the delete & tuner. They are full of baloney!

I did the delete/tuner for 3 reasons:

1. More power for towing & hauling

2. The ability to turn-off, cycle or delete the EGR

3. Mileage

With the delete/tuner, the power is fantastic, I can cycle the EGR (which prevents oil contamination from fuel - resulting in longer engine life) and as mentioned, a modest increase in fuel mileage.

My advice:

If you don't need the extra power, leave your truck "stock", forget the delete/tuner and use the money you'll save to pay for difference in fuel cost, based on the difference in actual mpg versus the small improvement.

If you leave your truck "stock" change your oil every 3,000 miles with conventional oil (not synthetic) because of the fuel contamination issue caused by the EGR. This should hopefully keep your engine healthy for the 10 years your planning to keep the truck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Truckmaniac For this addition to TDG:
kiltic (06-29-2011)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 01:54 PM

The SCT tuners will give you better gas mileage, how much? it will vary, but the dpf delete will help alot, anywhere from 3-9 mpg increase, call some of the diesel shops that do custom tuning they will be able to give you some good info, the higher horsepower tunes are the ones that will give you better gas mileage you just need to lay off the pedal, but, the power is there if you need it
The Following User Says Thank You to jgrouppy For this addition to TDG:
kiltic (06-29-2011)
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckmaniac View Post
Not to get on your case, but you should have done a little more research before you bought the Ford 6.4, if you were concerned about fuel economy.

There is no such thing as a "stock" tune & better mpg. It just ain't going to happen.

11 to 12 mpg of in-town driving is typical, even with the DPF delete & tuner

I've seen as high as 19 mpg (typically around 17) on the highway with my 2010 F250 4x4 crew cab with the 3.55 gears. I'm running the DPF delete and the Spartan 250 tune. Without the mods, highway MPGs would be 15 to 16.

There are lots of guys on this and other forums claiming "fantastic" mileage increases with the delete & tuner. They are full of baloney!

I did the delete/tuner for 3 reasons:

1. More power for towing & hauling

2. The ability to turn-off, cycle or delete the EGR

3. Mileage

With the delete/tuner, the power is fantastic, I can cycle the EGR (which prevents oil contamination from fuel - resulting in longer engine life) and as mentioned, a modest increase in fuel mileage.

My advice:

If you don't need the extra power, leave your truck "stock", forget the delete/tuner and use the money you'll save to pay for difference in fuel cost, based on the difference in actual mpg versus the small improvement.

If you leave your truck "stock" change your oil every 3,000 miles with conventional oil (not synthetic) because of the fuel contamination issue caused by the EGR. This should hopefully keep your engine healthy for the 10 years your planning to keep the truck.
I appologize, I didn't word it right, I understand what you are talking about with the stock vs. tune. What I meant was that I do not need 250hp.
I did look into the truck and mileage, I new it was a concern. I was not expecting 12mpg on the highway, is all.
Right now I get 12 mpg on the highway. @ 25,000 miles a year at $3.75/gallon I will be spending $7,800 on fuel. If I can get it to 15mpg @ 25,000/yr, I will be spending $6,250... roughly. I will be saving $1,550 in one year, ok, thats is a spartan tuner w/DPF delete, after that, it is money in the bank.
The real question is will the tuner and pipe shorten the life of the truck?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:32 PM
TDG Mafia Member #25

I didn't think I wanted more power at all, just better mileage, but the truck runs outstanding on simply a 150 horse tune and delete. Plus my clutch is happy as well.

The stock DPF and regen will shorten the life of the truck with out of control EGT's. Watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zxXmiz6dvQ

Adrianspeeder

The Following User Says Thank You to adrianspeeder For this addition to TDG:
Truckmaniac (06-29-2011)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltic View Post
I appologize, I didn't word it right, I understand what you are talking about with the stock vs. tune. What I meant was that I do not need 250hp.
I did look into the truck and mileage, I new it was a concern. I was not expecting 12mpg on the highway, is all.
Right now I get 12 mpg on the highway. @ 25,000 miles a year at $3.75/gallon I will be spending $7,800 on fuel. If I can get it to 15mpg @ 25,000/yr, I will be spending $6,250... roughly. I will be saving $1,550 in one year, ok, thats is a spartan tuner w/DPF delete, after that, it is money in the bank.
The real question is will the tuner and pipe shorten the life of the truck?
12 on the highway is not acceptable!

My 2008 F350 King Ranch,crew cab, dually, 4x4 with 4.10 gears would get 13 on the highway (stock) and 15.5 with the delete/tuner.

You may possibly have a stopped-up DPF. If your truck is in warranty, take it to the dealer and tell them your problem.

Also, the comment about a tuner giving you an extra 9 mpg is a joke, if you "hand calculate" the fuel mileage. If I use my truck's mileage computer, it will typically show, that I am getting 7 to 8 more mpgs that I'm actually getting. Any and all "tuners" screw-up the computer.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 10:07 PM

theoretically you will get better mileage with a delete and low power tune, but from my first hand experience on a friends truck, we logged his 09 fx4 and with dpf and stock tune he could get 2-3 mpg better but when towing his ECT EOT would get hotter, we tested it against his 210 tow and the temps went way down and mpg went up, currently on the spartan 210hp tune he gets 14-16 city mpg 20-25 hwy

2006 f350 C.C.SB Amarillo Edition- Afe Stage 2 intake, SCT, mbrp 5" turbo back with 6" tip, 7" icon lift,325/50/22 dynapro atms on 22x11 black XD diesels, keystone heat extractor hood, 4.30 gears, 03 turbo DR/icon traction bars, Hd Heads, Painted front and rear bumpers, arp head studs, Welded EGR

wish list/coming soon-banks ic, regulated return fuel system, Tuned FICM, but not if i do a CR cummins first!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Thank you very much for your input, everybody! I really appreciate all of your responces! I will look into a delete and a tuner, either spartan or sct. Thanks again!!! I will definatly watch that video on the tear down.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 02:33 AM

my truck is stock 08 with 373 gearing and if I don't go faster than 74 on the highway which is just under 2000 rpm the truck does 15 16 mpg
The Following User Says Thank You to GUTTS For this addition to TDG:
kiltic (07-06-2011)
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Thanks for the video of the 6.4 tear down, adrianspeeder! That guy is freakin awesome, I watched like every one of his videos. Ordered the spartan tuner with the cat/dpf delete. Comes in tomorrow, looking forward to seeing a bit of a difference all around. Can the trans hold up to a 210 tune over an extended period of time? My guy at the dealer told me to run the 150. 200 and up are a bit rough on the trans. Any thoughts on that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode