Which Tunner/Programmer To Get For a Calif. Truck? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Kpalas, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 1501 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Which Tunner/Programmer To Get For a Calif. Truck?

Hey guys, I'm looking for opinions and thoughts on which is the best tunner or programmer to get for my truck. I have a 08' 6.4L F250, and I live in Calif, and as such I have to smog the truck so I can't do a dpf delete or anything like that. From my brief research, it looks like Banks Six Gun might be my best bet. I think its smog legal, won't leave and footprints on the ecm, and has built in safeguards for the engine and tranny, or so they say. I want to improve my power when towing, not do any racing or anything like that. So, is Banks my best option, or is there another brand I should look at? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Let it all Ride

I gotta be honest. I don't think it's worth running a programmer unless you can delete the DPF. The reason is because even with just a banks unit, the truck will produce more soot and ultimately cause the truck to regen more frequently. Sure you may have more power but I doubt that you would see any real mileage gains.
That banks may be smog legal but I promise you that it will leave a footprint in the ecm. All tuners will.

Dominic
'16 Ram 3500 Limited, DRW, 3.73's, Aisin, 4x4
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 04:03 PM

I agree do the whole thing (DPF delete) or leave it stock. Most will tell you a tuner will clog up the DPF and not give you good results. Many live in CA that run the delete you just have to put the DPF back on to go get smogged.

I may be mistaken but I think any tuner will leave a trace and I do not think you will pass smog with a tuner on there regardless if the DPF is still on????
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I know that the Banks unit is smog legal, my only concern with it leaving a trace on the ecm is for warranty purposes.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 01:14 AM

Garage
I think that the Spartan DashDaq isn't supposed to leave a trace on the ECM but when you put the truck back to stock, the truck's computer will only show the number of start-cycles after returning it to stock, which throws up a Red Flag.

I agree that unless you do a complete Delete and run a higher horsepower tune (for performance & better fuel economy) that you are better off leaving your truck "stock".

Doesn't California still do road-side, spot inspections? If so, I guess you could carry your DPF along with you and change it while you wait your turn in line to be checked.

Here in West Texas the dealers are "tuner friendly" when it comes to warranty, unless there are definite signs of abuse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode