Tuner Questions / Needed Modifications - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by IndySuperDuty, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 845 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Tuner Questions / Needed Modifications

Got a few questions/ideas.

1. If we use a tuner, such as the Spartan tuner with the regen off, will the removal of just the DPF be enough? What will happen to the DOC's? Will they "soot up" and become a problem?

2. With all the added HP & Torque, what about the longevity of the tranny. I know the tranny was a big issue when tuning the 6.0, as it had to "learn" a new shifting protocol. This was followed by many companies making upgrades to the tranny, like Sun Coast was doing. Is this no longer an issue with the tranny on the 6.4?

3. Some of us run larger tires and need a speedo recalibration feature. I know this is a must for me. Will/do any of the new programmers include this with their unit.

4. With the DashDAQ unit on a 6.4, can anyone tell me what all it will display? Will it read the factory pyro's? What other things will it display, such as oil pressure, voltage, etc?

CHEERS! :HappyMugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySuperDuty
Got a few questions/ideas.

1. If we use a tuner, such as the Spartan tuner with the regen off, will the removal of just the DPF be enough? What will happen to the DOC's? Will they "soot up" and become a problem?
The DOC will not "soot up". It is a minor restriction. For absolute maximal performance, it should be removed, but for 95% of people it isn't really of any concern, unless you are looking to get a bit louder on exhaust. (This is based off what mileage and dyno results we have seen)
Quote:
2. With all the added HP & Torque, what about the longevity of the tranny. I know the tranny was a big issue when tuning the 6.0, as it had to "learn" a new shifting protocol. This was followed by many companies making upgrades to the tranny, like Sun Coast was doing. Is this no longer an issue with the tranny on the 6.4?
I have been a bit confused at this myself. With the numbers our test trucks are putting out, the transmissions should NOT be holding up. But they are. To date, with 18,000 miles of very hard abuse, my transmission has not slipped one single time. We have spent a lot of time on the transmission calibration, but I wasn't aware the new transmission hardware was capable of holding 1200+ lb-ft at the wheels. Making no guarantees of what they are rated to hold, but once again just what we have seen in testing. Very, very tough units. Arguably MUCH stronger than a stock Allison.:Thumbup: I feel very comfortable stating that the transmission is completely safe with all of our tunes up to the 210 horsepower tune.

Quote:
3. Some of us run larger tires and need a speedo recalibration feature. I know this is a must for me. Will/do any of the new programmers include this with their unit.
Transmission recalibration can be done, but currently no unit on the market will actually change the speedometer itself (despite the "Tire Size" change claim by some others- once again, just for the transmission)

Quote:
4. With the DashDAQ unit on a 6.4, can anyone tell me what all it will display? Will it read the factory pyro's? What other things will it display, such as oil pressure, voltage, etc?
Just the main functions----
Pre Turbo Pyrometer (EGR Inlet Temp)
EGR Outlet Temp
Manifold Gauge Pressure (Boost)
Mass Air Flow
Transmission Temp
Torque Converter Slip
Engaged Gear and TC Lockup Status
Fuel Rail Pressure (actual)
Fuel Rail Pressure (desired)
Injection Pump Volume Control Valve Duty Cycle
Injection Pump Pressure Control Valve Duty Cycle
Fuel Rail Temperature
Fuel Cooling Pump Status and Duty Cycle
Low Pressure Fuel Pump Circuit Status
Engine Oil Temperature
Engine Coolant Temperature
EGR % Desired, EGR Error, and EGR Valve Position
EGR Throttle Plate Desired and Position
DPF Pressures and Regen Status
EGT1, 2, and 3 sending units in exhaust stream
Intake Air Temp on both Air inlet and Manifold (IAT1 and IAT2)
VGT Duty Cycle
Exhaust Backpressure Actual
Exhaust Backpressure Desired
Battery Voltage
Control Module Voltage
Network Control Voltage (VREF)
Barometric Pressure

And about 200 more parameters that I can't remember....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 05:25 PM

Thanks for all that info Matt. Looking forward to seeing the DashDaq on my dash!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanDieselTech
Transmission recalibration can be done, but currently no unit on the market will actually change the speedometer itself (despite the "Tire Size" change claim by some others- once again, just for the transmission)
Ok... I'll buy that! That is really the only reason I have the Max Energy on my truck. It did allow me to change "Something" to compensate for my 35" tires. I drive through a lot of 30mph - 40mph speed traps, and I need the speedo to be on the money. Will the Spartan/DashDAQ have this feature?

Thanks! :thanks:
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 05:54 AM

WOW: Had to take a break in the middle of the list. I didn't realize that the Dashdaq could display SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..OOOOOOOOOOOO Much:thanks: :Thumbup:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode