Reverse flow heads??? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by kind, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 2074 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Reverse flow heads???

I might sound like an idiot for suggesting this but couldn't a set of reverse flow heads be engineered for a V8 with out??? I'm by no means motor literate but wouldn't changing the cam and obviously the complete head and tune make it work or is there way more then that? I had that idea of reverse flow heads for a directional design for some time but am no where near motor smart enough to make it happen. If someone designs it I will run it but I'd rather leave it to someone that knows these motors inside and out.

09 F250 SC 4x2, well dressed, [email protected], 813hp and 1725.9ft/lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 PM

reverse flow heads

Are you talking about the new ford diesel engine? If so here is the quick list

Let me think
CAM,
Computer
Heads (new design don't what to think about that)
exhast
Intake
turbos
Might have redo the firewall and motors mounts.

I think I missed a few things.

Not worth it.

Donovan
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 10:29 PM
I Eat Rice

There would be huge engineering obsticals to over come to make that work. Nothing a lot of $$$ couldnt fix though. Best bet. Wait for the new scorpion.

Lets just say not quite stock.
Slower than some. Faster than most.
Canadian Club Member #10.
Ridin High Club Member #24
Singles Club Member #469

"There is no try. Only do... That is why you fail" Yoda. The wisest green piece of rubber ever created.

2008 King Ranch/Harley mix. Spartan tuned. Elite studs, Cobbs EGR delete plates. FabTech 6" 4 link with dual 2.25" remote shocks. 18" 778 Monsters 35-12.5-18 Toyo MT's DDM 35w HID's 6000K hi/lo and fogs.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I can't see needing motor mounts or firewall. Exhaust and intake is a gimmie. Anything that pushes the boundries of conventional is worth the effort in my opinion. The point is to reduce the path that the exhaust has to travel wasting less heat moving to the back of the engine then up. And with twins the conventional way requires more piping then twins sitting in the valley.

As far as intake piping maybe running a a single hot side but split cold sides in the intercooler. Or split hot side in to two seperate coolers. There are many options that could be explored.

We wouldn't need supercharges to get quick spool up.

It's about efficency. The distance air has to travel now vs. a well designed reverse flow is greater. It's by no means an easy task but if done correctly it would be better in my opinion. Maybe one of the guys that have gotten into these engines will chime in and tell me it can be done or can't. I don't want speculation here. If you're not open minded keep your opinion to yourself please. But it's nice to hear anyone that has an opinion regarless negative or positive. But explain yourself either way don't just look at the big picture and say to much work cuz that means nothing to me. If one of us hasn't or can't figure it out then all of us putting our minds together will.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed6.4ford View Post
There would be huge engineering obsticals to over come to make that work. Nothing a lot of $$$ couldnt fix though. Best bet. Wait for the new scorpion.
Sorry dude I'm not interested in a scorpion. I might trade the F450 in for a scorpion but the two wheel drive is staying and getting all the power these motors will produce.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 11:01 PM

firewall

The engine barely fits now. The change a major components like that and you have to rethink how the engine fits. Its a maybe on the motor mounts, But the firewall and other thing have to be thought of.

Donovan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdono2 View Post
The engine barely fits now. The change a major components like that and you have to rethink how the engine fits. Its a maybe on the motor mounts, But the firewall and other thing have to be thought of.

Donovan
I agree the engine is tight. Pondering a project like this doesn't solve all the delemas that will arise once the wrenching starts. Anything is possible You might be right, it might not be worth the hassle. I haven't heard anyone else on any of the forums talk about it so at the very least it'll give us something to role around in our minds next time we have our hoods open. I'd like to think someone is smart enough to make it work. People doubted twins under the hood of a 6.0 but they are done. They are tight but they are there.

If you were to yank off all the egr(garbage) that alone frees up valuable realestate. Move the batteries. Yep there is a lot of engineering to do
That's the biggest down fall is being the first and problem solving everything. Some people like a good challenge and some people like to spend money

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 03:47 PM
HalfAst Racing

leave the heads where they are and have a custom ground cam to open exhaust valves instead of intake valves.otherwise not realy possible to just flip heads around.some major valve work would be needed also.main obstacles:cam,intake plumbing,exhaust plumbing,tuning.could re gear the stock cam to run backwards.its a lot of work,id rather buy a scorpion

2004 f250 cc/sb,magnaflow turbo back.rockin rcd tunes 18" harley wheels
2001 excursion 6in 35s
1993 mustang lx,6.0l 5r,project rattlesnake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode