Need wastegate/controller help. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by JYFarmer, this thread has received 25 replies and been viewed 4417 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Educated Amateur

Garage
Need wastegate/controller help.

I have an Elite wastegate. Plumbed right. I plugged the two open holes on the controller and the extra one on the BOV. I cannot get the truck to build backpressure like it should. At one point it would get up to 60 on the bp. Then... basically i cant get it back. Its like the adjustment has no dramatic effect. Either way you turn it. Also the wastegate controller makes a squeel/teakettle noise sometimes. Any ideas?

EGR Delete, Hedstuds, and Rudy's BOV/Intake Elbow ordered!

Pics coming soon.

If really interested go here https://thedieselgarage.com/forums/dt...ehicle_id=1426

Special thanks to Rudys, and Spartan.... not so much with Recon.

If your gonna do it, do it right the first time
"You can polish a turd up all you want, its still a piece of $hi%"-me.

To quote a guy on here, "If Obama is the answer, it was a dumb ### question".

OIF III vet......... Love my country, but if we had to fight WW2 with my generation, we'd loose and it pisses me off to high hell!

Open to critiques/advice. PM me

Singles Club member #258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 04:37 AM
Justifiably Confused

Wastegate and BOV

You indicated that you plummed the wastegate to the BOV. I assume you used the regulator in the wastegate kit and tied that into the side port of the wastegate. I was told by Elite that the pressure signal for the wastegate (other side of hose leading from the wastegate) should be tied into the high pressure side of the intake. It was suggested to me that I drill and tap the block off plate that goes on the intake elbow and get my feed from there.

Perhaps the BOV location you tied the wastegate line into is screwing with the operation of the dump.

2008 F-350
6" ProComp Lift w/37" Toyo Open Countrys
Straight Pipe with Magnaflow 5" No muffler
Downpipe by Powerstroker67
AFE Intake
Elite Headstuds w/upgraded gaskets
Spartan 350 Tuned
Spartan TCM
Headrest DVD Monitors
Pioneer AVIC NAV
4.30 Gears
Detroit Locker
Suncoast Converter
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Team White

I am having the same problem with my Elite Wastegate setup. I have the top port of the wastegate open to atmosphere as suggested and the side port is plumbed through the regulator and i drilled and tapped the block off plate in the intake elbow. I have adjusted the regulator every which way and my EBP is wayyyyyy low. I dont ever see more than 30psi there. My truck also will not make any boost which makes me think that the wastegate is always open or partly open. I am getting really frustrated as this is week number 5 that I have not been able to drive my truck. Elite has not really been very helpful in making sure that its not a problem with their setup. I have replaced sensor, scanned the truck with a ford computer, and checked everything possible with no luck.

2011 F350 CCLB DRW Lariat 2wd

AmericanForce/Nitto/Recon/Viair/T-Rex/MBRP/RetroSolutions/SwingCase/AmericanRollCover/WeatherTech/Westin/EzDown/
www.inmotionbuilders.com
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Educated Amateur
Threadstarter

Garage
We'll figure it out man. Im on week 5 but its been alot of issues along the way. Kinda sucks bein the lightning rod, But itll be worth it in the end.

EGR Delete, Hedstuds, and Rudy's BOV/Intake Elbow ordered!

Pics coming soon.

If really interested go here https://thedieselgarage.com/forums/dt...ehicle_id=1426

Special thanks to Rudys, and Spartan.... not so much with Recon.

If your gonna do it, do it right the first time
"You can polish a turd up all you want, its still a piece of $hi%"-me.

To quote a guy on here, "If Obama is the answer, it was a dumb ### question".

OIF III vet......... Love my country, but if we had to fight WW2 with my generation, we'd loose and it pisses me off to high hell!

Open to critiques/advice. PM me

Singles Club member #258
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Team White

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYFarmer View Post
We'll figure it out man. Im on week 5 but its been alot of issues along the way. Kinda sucks bein the lightning rod, But itll be worth it in the end.
I know, just beyond frustrated right now.

AmericanForce/Nitto/Recon/Viair/T-Rex/MBRP/RetroSolutions/SwingCase/AmericanRollCover/WeatherTech/Westin/EzDown/
www.inmotionbuilders.com
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 PM

Garage
this is ridic. elites got more kits out than just you two guys. nice of them the CHIME! in.. wish i could help as im looking to do the same as you guys here shortly. damn
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Chirpin Tires...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by case_7010 View Post
this is ridic. elites got more kits out than just you two guys. nice of them the CHIME! in.. wish i could help as im looking to do the same as you guys here shortly. damn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Smoker View Post
Okay guys. I'll explain how it works. First off though, wastegate instructions beyond the somewhat vague email instructions are in the works, and we apologize for lack of clear instructions. Secondly, yeah, we're closed on the weekends, but you shouldn't expect somebody from Elite to answer from the forum. If you need to get a hold of us, your best bet is to call the shop (866-631-8518, or local 719-647-0232) during business hours. We're open from 8-5:30, mountain time, and closed from 12-1 for lunch. If you're not having good luck with that, or it's the weekend, sure, try here. Send a pm to me or Garrett (Giddy-up-go) and we'll do the best we can if we're on.

As far as plumbing the wastegate:

Disregard wastegate manufacturer's instructions as we've found in this application our setup is more reliable and accurate. The blue hose connects to a boost reference preferably close to the compressor outlet. It then goes to the inlet side of the regulator. The regulator has 3 outlets. 2 of them get plugged, and the 3rd goes to the side port of the wastegate. The top port of the wastegate gets the barbed fitting attached, and the hose as well if you'd like. It vents to the atmosphere.

Depending on the brand of wastegate (tial or precision) there will be 1 or 2 side ports. If you have 1, you're fine. Proceed as previously described. If you have 2 side ports, plug 1 of them (either one is fine) and use the other as your port from the regulator as described above.

Adjusting the wastegate regulator:

when turned all the way counter-clockwise, the wastegate will not open until back pressure reaches at least 65 psi, possibly as high as 85 psi
EBP. from there, the more you turn it clockwise, the sooner it dumps. If you go too far clockwise, it will dump the exhaust pressure too early, and you won't be able to build sufficient boost.

Where to set the wastegate:

You'll need an accurate pressure gauge for boost and exhaust back pressure. The dash daq provides these readings as such; manifold gauge pressure is the same as actual boost pressure. EBP (exhaust back pressure) is atmospheric pressure + exhaust back pressure. MAP (manifold absolute pressure) is boost pressure + atmospheric pressure. It is easiest to use MAP and EBP as readings, but if you like math, you can use MGP and EBP - atmospheric pressure. The ideal street ratio is approximately 10 psi actual peak exhaust pressure higher than actual boost pressure. For example, If your EBP reads 75 and your MAP reads 65, you're perfect. Assuming an atmospheric pressure of 13 psi, you'd also be perfect having EBP of 75, and MGP of 52. To know your actual atmospheric pressure, look at EBP or MAP with key on, engine off.

In a perfect world on the dyno you'd have a perfect 1:1 ratio of boost and back pressure. If this is your goal, expect street manners and drivability to suffer. Peak power could improve slightly, but it's usually not worth trying for a perfect 1:1 ratio. If you have any more questions please just give us a call as I'm not much of a novelist. I hope this helps.

2008 Ford F-250/4x4/Crew Cab/Short Bed/King Ranch/All Options/Viper 5901 Alarm-Remote Start
Spartan 275 Tuned/AFE Stage II CAI/Spearco Intercooler/RCD Intercooler Pipe/DieselSite Intercooler Boot Kit
Powerstroker67's Downpipe/Cat/DPF Delete/MBRP DPF-Back Exhaust
2.5" Ready Lift/Bilstein 5100 Off-Road Shocks/20x9 XD Ambush Black/35x12.50R20 Toyo M/T
Sto-Rage Underseat Box/Transfer Flow 40G Fuel Tank & Toolbox Combo
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:56 PM

Garage
well im the arse haha nothing new
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 PM

can't you guys just block off the wastegate and bov just to see if that is actually the problem?

2008 F-350 Lariet 6.4L 170,000 km spartan tuned 275 daily
2006 yamaha Vmax
2003 F-350 XLT 6.0L just bought 215,000 km all stock for now.
2003 suzuki 1000 GSX-R
1993 F-250 460
1978 F-150 stock waiting for a paint job

Near GP alberta.

CC#58
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 01:35 AM
Team White

No way to block off the wastegate that I can figure out but from what im reading if the regulator is turned all the way counter clockwise then its shutting down the wastegate for the most part.

What really gets me is that my truck ran perfect before it got the EGR delete and wastegate and i know fluke things happen but no one will take any credit that their parts might be causing the problems.

www.inmotionbuilders.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode